Say it isn't so... Bloating/Raised Scales

LovelyChaos

I never updated;

Cream is no longer pineconed or bloated at all. She actually looked really skinny in the end, so hopefully she will get fattened by the jump start Sarajo sent with the MMs (:

Strawberry has no more redness anywhere. Checked his mouth and gills and both looked good. He started eating again. Though now there seems to be a very slight impression on his head the same shape as my nail, which probably happened when I tried fishing them out from behind the tank /:

Both finished 14 days on the 23rd and went back in the main tank yesterday. My grandma was getting upset that they were in the tub and it smelled like fish........

Both are enjoying the green water again (: they have been playing by the new bamboo. Cream looked nice and was a little chubbier when I checked on her and Strawberry had no redness still. Hopefully both will enjoy the 125 and whatever caused these symptoms doesn't come back!

Thank you guys for helping me save these two (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
:cry strawberry is completely pineconed. I think this has to do with the fact the temp dropped like crazy yesterday, from being mid 80s to 50s. The water felt like it was about 65 for the past week, today and yesterday it felt at 50-55. I also had to unplug the filters and heater because of the lightning we were having ): I plugged them in yesterday and thats when I found him at the top, but I couldn't get anything set up because my sterilite tub is being used by my grandma. I pulled out all of the lions and ranchus to check on them, cream is fine, Fio looks healthy, sunny looks healthy, and I couldn't catch renji. I found strawberry in the corner at the bottom. He seems to be unable to control his swimming very well. I don't have a separate qt at this time, but hopefully I will be picking up a 5 gallon bucket today. Right now he is in a 1 gallon tupperware thing with a betta bowl heater, I've already added metro to the water, and I'm going to dissolve Epsom as soon as it gets warm, then hopefully he will want to eat ): he looks extremely listless, the only reason he looks alive is his mouth keeps moving ):

7a78b09684044beab70194aa8410dfa0_zps3be879f9.jpg

edcaa0bbdb8a5a3f10830af873d67a12_zps9d48897c.jpg

The pictures aren't very good cause I can't find my camera ): I'm trying to get a video but it won't upload. He will start swimming when I walk up to him, then he will just stop and start floating on his side, not at the top or bottom, just wherever he stops.

Charly, I think if the temp drops are having this effect, then there are two concerns:

1. Although goldfish can withstand a big range of gradual temp drops, your set up may be outside of what they can handle. It might be time to have to figure something out.

2. I think she is now certifiably a vulnerable fish. She may need to be indoors, where there isn't that kind of temp variation.

Charly, I think if the temp drops are having this effect, then there are two concerns:

1. Although goldfish can withstand a big range of gradual temp drops, your set up may be outside of what they can handle. It might be time to have to figure something out.

2. I think she is now certifiably a vulnerable fish. She may need to be indoors, where there isn't that kind of temp variation.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Strawberry isn't going back outside. I will probably bring cream inside for good measure. With the warmer water he is already swimming around and eating better. Everyone else seems ok, I've been checking each one every two days or so. I'm going to continue to pull everyone out one by one to check.

Edited by LovelyChaos

He is much less pineconed today, and a lot more active. His scales seem weirdly shiny... It looks like he is still pretty bloated. He looks 10000 times better though (: I will hopefully be getting a 50w heater today to replace the betta bowl heater, so hopefully the warmth will help him poop and stop being bloated.

I am beginning to think that the weirdly shiney is excess slime coat, or at least a different type of slime coat that is produced when fish are pineconing. If scales are raised I can only presume the fish would increase something to help protect the skin bettter. Either way I noticed this in bruce as well.

He is listless and seems unable to control his swimming again /: the redness is back around his mouth. He tries to swim then just starts twirling around... Is this SBD?

No, this is not SBD, but is a bacterial infection of the mouth-digestive tract, it appears. Will you look at the vent to see if it's also red and inflamed? :(

No, this is not SBD, but is a bacterial infection of the mouth-digestive tract, it appears. Will you look at the vent to see if it's also red and inflamed? :(

Yessir. Will I need any other antibiotics? I have kanaplex. Also, I tried syringe feeding him, he looked more than happy to accept the food but it's a rather large syringe and I'm not sure how much I should get into him /: