Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Say it isn't so... Bloating/Raised Scales

I hope so.

At least there is also metro in the water :)

Good luck! They are such cuties (all your fish are!) and I really hope they make a full recovery.

Thank you (: Strawberrys scales are almost completely down, cream isn't bloated or pineconed on one side, and a little less bloated on the other, but still pineconed. Still swimming though!

What causes bloating and pineconing only on one side??

Edited by LovelyChaos

I think it could a degree of severity.

The other thing is that if the pineconing has only been on one side, some people think that this is more indicative of a parasitic issues, rather than true dropsy.

That's interesting. She was completely pineconed and bloated, but now one side is flat...

If Nova did have parasites would that explain this? I found out he was a boy, and he started getting fatter so I didn't think he would have them. I had him separate for a while but put him back when it started getting colder so I could use the heater for everyone.

If he started out fully pineconed but is now only one sided, then it's more likely that it's gradual resolution of the problem. :)

Ohh I think that's the most relieving thing I've heard all day... Even if it is weird :rofl I'm going to look at both really closely now....

Ah well, Cream is looking half good... Strawberry is looking twice as bad ): His gills look worse... Could this be because of their accident? While panicking, my grandma started dumping water in the dirt behind the tank, if they breathed it in, would this have hurt his gills? Strawberry was the last one to go back in the water.

86a5e89b6189241fd6ce6aafcba23980_zps321c3406.jpg

I have to do a water change, so I need to know if I should dissolve anything for that.

Please continue to add Metro, and if you like, 0.1% salt.

Will you check his gills for me, please, when you get a chance?

Please continue to add Metro, and if you like, 0.1% salt.

Will you check his gills for me, please, when you get a chance?

Sure thing, how would I do that? And how long after washing my hands with antibacterial soap is it ok to touch them?

Oh and is salt and Epsom ok to use with each other?

Salt and Epsom are OK together, especially at that dose of salt. :)

You just want to very gently pry open the gill flap to check for colors and the gill structure. If you can take pics, that would be even better.

Salt and Epsom are OK together, especially at that dose of salt. :)

You just want to very gently pry open the gill flap to check for colors and the gill structure. If you can take pics, that would be even better.

Ah well that will have to be tomorrow so that I can have an extra set of hands.

Thanks (:

Cream is looking FANTASTIC. The bloating is almost completely gone, and her scales are slightly flatter. I tried looking at Strawberrys gills, but I got nervous with trying to open the gill. I was scared my nails would hurt him. He still looks the same. Ill look up a video and try again.

Do you have a syringe where you could mush up MMs and force feed her?

Do you have a syringe where you could mush up MMs and force feed her?

Yup, I just have to find it. Do I need to add anything to the mush?

CREAM IS ALL BETTER!! :D :D :D

Scales are flat and she is not bloated. She looks much more streamlined and normal. She is quite skinny though. Gotta fatten her back up!

Strawberrys mouth doesn't look as bright but his gill plate is still red I'm worried that their combined waste output is irritating it. When can Cream go back in the big tank? I can separate her at feeding times no problem.

CREAM IS ALL BETTER!!

Scales are flat and she is not bloated. She looks much more streamlined and normal. She is quite skinny though. Gotta fatten her back up!

Strawberrys mouth doesn't look as bright but his gill plate is still red I'm worried that their combined waste output is irritating it. When can Cream go back in the big tank? I can separate her at feeding times no problem.

Just because Cream looks better doesn't make that there isn't residual pathogen left, and you run the risk of contaminating the tank moving her/him back too soon. If you feel that the combined waste output is too much, then move them to a bigger tank, or do more and bigger WCs.

I'm glad Cream is better, as is Strawberry.

CREAM IS ALL BETTER!!

Just because Cream looks better doesn't make that there isn't residual pathogen left, and you run the risk of contaminating the tank moving her/him back too soon. If you feel that the combined waste output is too much, then move them to a bigger tank, or do more and bigger WCs.

I'm glad Cream is better, as is Strawberry.

That's what I thought. I guess it's more water changes. I'm just happy to see the improvement (:

Im surprised too, I was almost certain I'd wake up to a dead fishy ): I didn't expect Cream to be the first to look better (:

If there is one thing I've learned with fish keeping, especially when it comes to treatment , it's expect the unexpected.

Hope they continue to improve. :)

So, gills look red and meaty on strawberry. I got him to eat about 5 pellets. Cream is still looking good. She ate about 6 pellets. No more bloating or pineconing. Strawberry still has red but the one on the mouth is duller than on the gill. Some of my fish have had odd reactions to salt, turning red with prolonged exposure. Caligo did this when in quarantine, if the gills aren't irritated is this a possibility?

That they can react like that to salt? Yes. I am not sure if it's because the kind of salt, or some fish are just sensitive.

I'm glad they seem to be steadily improving. :)