Seriously, snails.

BurningIvy

So, I got two more ramshorn snails after finally coming to terms with the fact that Guss was dead. =( I brought them home and they were doing just fine... until yesterday. I haven't even had them a week and I'm almost completely sure they've died. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm really very frustrated. Freshwater snails are illegal in Maine because they're supposed to do super well here. I know I got them from a source where they were not fed or cared for so maybe the new place, new water, and food was too much for them? I kept them in a Qt, about a half gallon for both snails together and planned to keep them in this for one month and then put them in with my betta in the 10G. I changed 100% of the water 2x per day and fed repashy and frozen baby brine shrimp. I put a small chunk of cuttle bone in there two so they would have calcium. Is there something I've done wrong? Should I quit getting snails? Should I buy a snail from an out of state source that may have had better conditions? I'm just so heartbroken and frustrated. Help? =/

Oh I wish I had some answers for ya sweetie! I would definitely try ebay or aquabid.

Because they are illegal in Maine people probably wouldn't ship to her, Smegs. :(

I really hope you can find a solution to this.

Oh I wish I had some answers for ya sweetie! I would definitely try ebay or aquabid.

Because they are illegal in Maine people probably wouldn't ship to her, Smegs. :(

I really hope you can find a solution to this.

I've had all kinds of plants shipped to me I didn't even know I wasn't supposed to, and the sellers never said a word.

I'm sure I could get them. It's just something I cannot purchase from an lfs. My lfs (not a petsmart or petco) will give them away free with anything I purchase. And I'm the only person who they give them too. For everyone else they say I'm sorry, not for sale. They know me as a good keeper and that I wouldn't be releasing them into the wild. I just feel terrible bringing them into my home and then having to go back to the store and say... so those snails died. =( I wonder if the lifestyle change is just too much. At the store they are kept in with the plants that they hitchhike in on and aren't fed at all. They eat the algae off the tank and plants but don't get anything additional. I am not sure what I'm doing to them =(

I would go in there and say, they're doing great and you'd like some more. It's really none of their business. Have ya tried testing the water they came in? Honey I'm sure it's not something wrong your doing, so don't feel bad. It's probably something your doing too right. If they are in with the plants, you know the water isn't gonna be kept as well as with fish. They might even fertilizer the crap out of it to make those plants look good for buyers. Those snails had a better chance with you, then they would have had with anyone else. Keep your chin up :D

Edited by Smegy Psiren

Thanks =/ I just feel so bad for the little ones. I ripped 'em out of their fish store life and into clean water and then they died =( it's like a snaily drama movie turned horribly wrong.

You naughty girl, keeping illegal snailies ;)

Like you said (And depending where in Maine you live) you could always sneak on over to New Hampshire or Massachusetts and take your pick of snails from whichever store you choose. :) To be honest, I really don't think very many people you'd order from online would know or care that they aren't supposed to ship to you...but there's always the small chance of the post office seizing your package I guess? I don't think that's too likely though. I've heard of people shipping way worse things around the country than snails and not getting caught.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong! Unfortunately sometimes fish (and snails) can just be fragile and die for whatever reason. Maybe try a different type of snail? I've never kept ramshorn snails but I have good luck with...I believe they're mystery snails? I have a couple cool looking yellow ones and a big blue one right now! The blue one is over a year old. He had a buddy that died a few months ago though. :(

hmm... I could try looking online. I just like to save things I guess. The snails here look pitiful and that's probably why they die.

I can't imagine a package being seized as long as it's labeled fragile or water or something. I would say hey this is a snail on the packaging, of course!

I'll have to look online and see about it. I just feel so bad for the little ones here.

I once considered introducing snails to my tank, but I heard they can get out of control....is that correct??? :bounce

Only assexual snails like , ponds snails, malasion trumpet! Rams horns, can get out of control

With others like apples, and assin snails you need a male and a female to breed :P and neuritis can't successfully lay eggs since they need salt water for the eggs to hatch

Edited by Gustave

I had red ramshorns that hitch hiked on a plant when I was younger. Within a few weeks, the tank was overloaded. But they were happy, and my dad didn't care--he liked them. :)

I hope you're able to find healthy snails. It's really probably not something you're doing. :heart

Edited by yafashelli

hmm... I could try looking online. I just like to save things I guess. The snails here look pitiful and that's probably why they die.

I can't imagine a package being seized as long as it's labeled fragile or water or something. I would say hey this is a snail on the packaging, of course!

I'll have to look online and see about it. I just feel so bad for the little ones here.

How about plants? You could get sent a package of plants (some that are not illegal in your state) and they could have "hitchhikers" :D

How about plants? You could get sent a package of plants (some that are not illegal in your state) and they could have "hitchhikers" :D

Very true! I found a few pond snails on my last plant order