Sign in to follow this  
doddmatic

Anyone had experience with Blue L.E.D lights (for night-time use)

Hi guys

My house is very dark so I typically have the hood light on in it from midday to ten O'clock.

Some weekdays though I can leave the house at seven am and come back well after nine

so I don't get to watch my Goldies very much, I might turn on the light to feed them but then I

respectfully turn it off soon after.

I was thinking of getting a blue L.E.D night, partially to remedy this and partially for aesthetic reasons,

the idea being that it would approximate moonlight and allow you to watch your fish at night without disturbing

them too much.

I found somebody selling these Hagen/Marina L.E.D lights on Ebay:

http://ca-en.hagen.c...pg=1&perPage=24

You buy the lights and the Hub separately (the hub can power up to three), I had thought of putting a strip of LEDs

behind the tank but this product is submersible so waterproof,and I would imagine, safer.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?

I probably wouldn't leave them on all night , maybe just between when I get in and when I go to bed.

Keen to hear what you all think.

I don't have any for my goldfish, but my mother has some for her tropical tank. They have never been kept on over night because we have the fear that they will grow more algae (we have been battling algae because the normal led light causes large amounts of algae to grow :P).

Edited by teleSC

Its your preference. I prefer them built in with the strip. I have the Aqueon Modular LEDs strip with a blue moon light. The size I have, have one moon light. Ya don't want to overdo the amount of moonlight. They need mostly darkness with just a lil hint of blue lighting enough for you to see only after your eyes adjusted. I don't use mine anymore cuz I have many blue LEDs along my bubble wand. Its really bright. At first, it was too bright, I stopped using it then later during cleaning, I somehow came up with the idea to point those LED toward the back glass rather than straight up. It helps. Now tank has enough darkness with only the bubbles lit up blue. I can see them sleep just fine. Its all ur preference.

I tried blue lights for a few days before. It's very nice. The blue is not supposed to affect the fish, and simulates moonlight.

Let us know how you like it, if you try. :)

I have a moonlight that I use for an hour before turning on the rest of the lights and an hour after turning off the "day" light. It seems to work pretty well on that schedule.

I use my marineland blue lights (on the hidden LED kit) 1-2 hours before bed. The fish actually are learning that this is a "quiet down" time and often prepare for sleep when they turn on. It is also calming for me too, while still allowing me to see the fish in 'night mode'. I love them. Just make sure they have several hours of complete darkness every night. :)

My boyfriend and I both have Marineland LED light fixtures (I have the double-bright, he has the aquatic plant one) and we love the blue nightlight. It doesn't both the fish at all. I turn it on everynight at around 7-8pm and after a few minutes both my girls go to their sleeping area and calm down for the night. You can view them easily, but just their silhouettes/shadows. We turn the lights completely off right before we go to sleep but definitely enjoy being able to view the fish for an extra few hours. :)

Great, thanks guys. Do any of you have links for the lights that you use?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Another option is the Cold Cathode lights. :-) I have a set of two blue. Ya know, the kind you see thru ur comp box, etc. Ya can hook to an AC/DC adapter. Actually, didn't I learn that from here back in 2006? Hmmmm.... I made it for my Goldfish tank (the one of the Goldfish Dance) and then.. lol well, when I sold the setup thru a friend with the local fish club that year...well lol I actually forgot about it! A few months ago at a club meeting, I wanted a blue lighting and that same guy (I didn't realize) brought it to the club for auction. It was sooooo kool, I bid and won it for bout 5 bux. I was showin pix and sayin how much I like it, blah blah blah, on the club forum and he said it was mine. LoL I was like what? He said I sold it to him years ago. I looked up old forum postz...ta da. OMG I couldn't believe it! He didn't use it and its still like new. LoL And its now back with me. Blue Cold Cathode tubes. Cut wires and connect to volt adapter for outlet. Want the pix?

I've used a combination of white and blue LEDs to simulate moonlight. You may try that. Together, they emit a soothing glow..

I suggest you buy a blue and a white strip of LEDs. As a combination, the light is gonna feel soothing.

But, remember to turn them off at night. :)

Bagho, the idea is that with blue alone, you actually can leave them on all night should you choose.

Bagho, the idea is that with blue alone, you actually can leave them on all night should you choose.

That's an interesting idea....and may cut down the amount of midnight toe stubbing incidents.

Mine are left on all nite. But since I'm using the bubble wand lights, it is on 24/7.

I use the Marineland bubble led lights as well only in green and leave the green lights on at night ;)

My 60 has a BeamWorks white & blue LED light. It does both during the day and I flip the switch to just blue at night. I leave it on all night and haven't noticed any additional algae growth. There's a UV sterilizer built into the filter that helps too, lol.

Sure, why not

Another option is the Cold Cathode lights. :-) I have a set of two blue. Ya know, the kind you see thru ur comp box, etc. Ya can hook to an AC/DC adapter. Actually, didn't I learn that from here back in 2006? Hmmmm.... I made it for my Goldfish tank (the one of the Goldfish Dance) and then.. lol well, when I sold the setup thru a friend with the local fish club that year...well lol I actually forgot about it! A few months ago at a club meeting, I wanted a blue lighting and that same guy (I didn't realize) brought it to the club for auction. It was sooooo kool, I bid and won it for bout 5 bux. I was showin pix and sayin how much I like it, blah blah blah, on the club forum and he said it was mine. LoL I was like what? He said I sold it to him years ago. I looked up old forum postz...ta da. OMG I couldn't believe it! He didn't use it and its still like new. LoL And its now back with me. Blue Cold Cathode tubes. Cut wires and connect to volt adapter for outlet. Want the pix?

cool, thanks

Here is a link to the light I'm using (though its day and night in one) http://www.aquatrade...-18-p/56281.htm