behavior change

yafashelli

Caught both Cleo and Cal resting on the bottom today. They don't stay there for a very long time, but I did see them there. Everyone is eating well, and my parameters are very good (0, 0, 10-20). Do you think it's because I went from bare bottom, very little decoration, to jungle Friday night?

I've also noticed that they're slower, gentler swimmers than they were when they had all that extra empty tank space. Think I screwed up their mojo, or do you think they just need a little time to acclimate?

It doesn't sound like anything alarming, but do pay attention to them in the next few days, and let us know immediately if there are negative changes :)

Let us know if there are positive changes as well, of course, so we can celebrate.

They are my lovely fish, after all. :rofl

Just a thought, but have they been eating alot of plant matter? Maybe a change in diet has thrown their digestion off a little....

That, or the plants have disrupted/changed the pattern of water flow in the tank...the possibilities are many. :rofl

As of now they're all eating plant stuff off the filter intake sponge (because I never FEED THEM). I'm sure at six o'clock they're going to say, "ZOMG Mommy is coming. Must lay on bottom like we're dying! It'll scare the scrap outta her! Lulz."

This is how they roll.

Edited by yafashelli

one of mine did this after bloodworms,to much protein

I always wonder if it's too much protein, the bloodworms are contaminated/bad

Bloodworms are mostly water, and I can't imagine that there is more protein that a blood worm feed versus a normal meal, unless you really feed them a ton.

Last night I slept with a flashlight near me. I think I woke up every hour, and looked at them, just to make sure nobody was on the bottom. Everybody looked good when I came home. I make my husband go in first, in case things went horribly wrong. Can you tell I'm a worry wort? :rofl I did another 50% w/c anyway, just in case.

You'd think that they'd get tired of uprooting everything... Lol! My poor vals

Last night I slept with a flashlight near me. I think I woke up every hour, and looked at them, just to make sure nobody was on the bottom. Everybody looked good when I came home. I make my husband go in first, in case things went horribly wrong. Can you tell I'm a worry wort? :rofl I did another 50% w/c anyway, just in case.

You'd think that they'd get tired of uprooting everything... Lol! My poor vals

Ahhh you poor girl! I'm just like you though, worry, worry, worry so I understand :)

Glad everything is ok.

I still see a little sitting from time to time, but they're eating well, and behaving themselves. I see it most late at night, and early in the morning. I'll keep up with the daily w/c's, and hope that the behavior corrects itself over time. I don't see any raised scales, but the water was a cloudy disgusting mess for a long time. Darn eco-complete!

Is it possible you are seeing sleeping behavior? Just wondering. You said late at night, early in the morning. As mine have gotten a little older two of them sleep on the bottom. The young one hovers still and doesn't rest her little bod down there.

It'll be a couple weeks before things calm down in terms of clarity and fish behavior, I think. :)

A couple of weeks? The stress of worrying over them will kill ME by then!! Maybe they just need a good :wa ?

Is it possible you are seeing sleeping behavior? Just wondering. You said late at night, early in the morning. As mine have gotten a little older two of them sleep on the bottom. The young one hovers still and doesn't rest her little bod down there.

I never noticed them rest on the bottom before I added the substrate. I guess anything is possible, but I do wish that they'd either shape up, or get their own place! Lol!

I noticed when I changed from barebottom to sand that my largest goldfish went from hovering while resting to sleeping on the substrate. She has done it ever since then, and is now on flourish and still sleeps on the bottom. :rofl goldies are odd.

Have they turned 18 yet? You may serve eviction notices then! :rofl

Word. I think they're probably hovering close to the 18 months mark. Are they ready for eviction, and do you have room in your magically expanding tank for them? I've told them all about you, and your fishnapping schemes! :tomuch:

I noticed when I changed from barebottom to sand that my largest goldfish went from hovering while resting to sleeping on the substrate. She has done it ever since then, and is now on flourish and still sleeps on the bottom. :rofl goldies are odd.

Well, I haven't seen anyone on the bottom this morning, so I consider that a victory. :) Yesterday, while I was watching (staring at them, waiting for them to put a toe out of line) them, I noticed hovering juuuust off of the bottom. That's a big change from laying on the bottom, like they were doing. I hope they stop queening soon.

I have threatened to trade them for tetras, so I think they're on their best behavior....except for the val thing. Lol!

Your fish may actually be more comfortable in the planted tank. Pond fish do not exhibit the almost constant activity of aquarium fish. Most of the time they just hang in one place, frequently nibbling, and when they do move they typically meander slowly. (The slower,gentler movement you are seeing.) If you've ever stood on a dock in a lake and watched for fish in the water, you know it takes a long time to start seeing them because they don't move much and it's hard to see a still fish.

It sounds to me you've convinced your fish that they live in a lake. Well done. The "bottom sitting" probably is new environment nerves, however.

Your fish may actually be more comfortable in the planted tank. Pond fish do not exhibit the almost constant activity of aquarium fish. Most of the time they just hang in one place, frequently nibbling, and when they do move they typically meander slowly. (The slower,gentler movement you are seeing.) If you've ever stood on a dock in a lake and watched for fish in the water, you know it takes a long time to start seeing them because they don't move much and it's hard to see a still fish.

It sounds to me you've convinced your fish that they live in a lake. Well done. The "bottom sitting" probably is new environment nerves, however.

This is so good to hear! I won't worry so much now. :)

Now my goal is to keep those plants alive, and not let them get eaten before their time! Lol!

I'd like to add more plants to the tank, but I'm worried that I'll add so many plants that there'll be no room for the fish. I guess I'll wait and see what will make it in the water, and what will not.

My gh is typically in the 60ish range. Do you know if I should be buffering for my plants?