Lydia24

I think my tank cycle has crashed :( Ammonia raising

Well I will list all the stuff I did on my last water change on Friday

I did a 60% water change

1) Added NovAqua Plus water conditioner

2) Added Amquel Plus

3) Added Fish Protector

4) Ph Buffer 7.5

I did use different water for the first time but I tested it before I use it and the PH was 7.6, High range Ph 7.4, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrates 5ppm. The GH and KH was very low but I didn't think that would be to much of a problem I just have very high nitrates (40ppm) in my water that I wanted to try other water to lower my nitrates.

I didn't change anything in my filter because I did it last week (friday) but when I do a water change I turn off the filter and the water drains out and normally put my media(foam sponge, Matrix Bio media) in tank water to keep the BB. But I forgot to take them out. How long can your BB live without water?

I also added Crushed coral for the first time to my filter to help with my Ph since I was using water with very low GH and KH I didn't want my low KH to crash my Ph. I also added Bio - Max for the first time for more BB to grow because I found out a way too actually fit it in my filter. I added some goldfish marbles and I also add 3 small bowl to put crush coral for my snails

Goldfish marbles

goldfishmerbles_zpsbce13233.jpg

Yesterday i notice one of my fish bottom sitting and didn't seem him self. So i tested my water and had Ammonia of 1.0 ppm. I add Amquel Plus and change my media bag with

Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals. So it seem like the ammonia is going down. But what cause my ammonia to go up in the first place?

My current tank permeters

Ph 7.6

High Range Ph 7.4

Ammonia 0.50 ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 20 - 40 ppm

My water does seem cloudy too.

Right now water change will be difficult when my water is frozen and my sink water is going to my bath tub. Yes I can clean my fish tank with simple gravel siphon and a pail. But I would have to get 5 to 6 jag of water (18L each) to fill my tank when I do about 50-60% water Change.

A few questions: How long has the tank been cycled? I mean, is it a newly setup tank that just got done cycling recently, or have you had a cycle going on for a while?

Why do you add all these products? Wouldn't Amquel+ as water conditioner and the buffer be enough? What is the other stuff for?

The BBs can actually be fine without much water for a while, as long as the media does not dry out. They will usually last a few hours before there are problems - again, as long as they stay wet.

In the end, w/c will be necessary to lower the ammonia. I am not sure if adding ammonia neutralizers are a good idea, because if indeed you have a cycle bump, the ammonia neutralizer (if it removes the ammonia) will keep the BBs from processing the ammonia/re-cycling.

As long as you can not d a w/c right now, do not feed at all to keep the produced waste and toxins as low as possible. Add a dose of amquel+ for the full tank in order to detoxify the ammonia for now and keep the fish safer.

Have you tested the tank pH? I wonder if rising pH due to the buffer and crushed coral could add to the problem. If you suddenly have a rise in pH, this makes ammonia more toxic to the fish.

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw you posted the tank pH.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

My tank has been set up for 5 months. I have always use Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals in my filters. I currently using the fish protector to help heal my fish missing scales.

My tank has been set up for 5 months. I have always use Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals in my filters. I currently using the fish protector to help heal my fish missing scales.

Could it be that the ammonia crystals are spewing the ammonia back out? I'm not sure how these things work.

Also, missing scales do not need "fish protector" to heal. They can do just fine without help. You just need to provide good water in a stress free environment.

I agree that aside from the buffer and Amquel, the other things are either redundant or unnecessary.

What are your ammonia levels now?

• Admin

Just want to say using Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals will effect the cycle. Since after about 24 -48 hours it starts to leach back into the tank.. If a tank is truely cycled, the ammonia even if its in the tap water will get used in the cycle in 24 hours. There isnt a need for that kind of stuff. I would say take it out and let the tank cycle by its self. :)

Just want to say using Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals will effect the cycle. Since after about 24 -48 hours it starts to leach back into the tank.. If a tank is truely cycled, the ammonia even if its in the tap water will get used in the cycle in 24 hours. There isnt a need for that kind of stuff. I would say take it out and let the tank cycle by its self. :)

I had no idea that Ammonia Neutralizing Crystals would effect the cycle. I have remove it and I also remove the carbon. Since I read on the forums here that carbon is not necessary. So I will give that I try instead I added some more filter floss.

I did another 50% water change on Saturday

The results below I just tested today

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

Nitrate 20 - 40ppm

Looking better how the fish?

Fish are GREAT :) Active and swimming around and I just went to look at them again and wanted me to give them more food!