Saving Nemo....... (please help with advice)

Sennenko

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.25ppm ammonia today, 0ppm nitrite, 0ppm nitrate

20% WC - a couple of hours later, pH is holding up at 7.3-ish.

he is swimming around dandily. he enjoyed his first bit of green bean tonight too & loved it!

Water is still cloudy though.. darn bacterial bloom!

It might take a little while before things settle down, or we might have to cheat a bit. Let's give it a little bit of time though.

Things seems to be going fantastically.

You are doing a superb job! :)

Quick update while I'm at work... was busy last night, ammonia in tank was .25ppm again, but just did a dose of Amquel+ and no WC - his water is still pretty milky cloudy, want to do another WC today to clear it up.... if I do 30% ish change, should I add a *pinch* of baking soda to balance pH again?

Last night's pH test was at 7.2.

He is doing well! He seems to be back to his normal self. He was active and all perky/uppity/excited when I approached the tank, the little piggy. He keeps wanting to get food but I am sure not to feed him more than twice a day.

Yay happy fishie!

.25ppm ammonia again today, so I did a 25% WC and a little less than 1/4th teaspoon baking soda added back in. Will take reading in the next half hour.

I thought MAYBE the nitrite and the nitrate was a teeny tiny bit of a darker shade than 0, but nowhere CLOSE to the next color change — it was closer 0. but. hey.

Still working on tank stand ideas!

I'm so happy that things are working out well!

You have my utmost admiration and respect for coming here to work out the issues, and doing what was needed to help him through. Nemo's so lucky to have you.

I think for the time being, just monitor his tank conditions, make sure not to overfeed, and do WCs as necessary. I do not think that he needs any more salt dips, or any treatments actually.

Let us know when you are ready to move him over. We'd love to see some pics and videos :)

Will do, thanks so much! I always enjoyed learning in college, I wish I could have just continued earning scholarships and be a professional student lol. Now thanks to your help I have a little bit of know-how in an area previously unknown.

always learning!

So, as I work out stand solutions, how much crushed coral would be added at the start of the transfer for the 20gal? And any balancing ratio of baking soda?

Like, would I transfer some of my original tank water into the new one, fill the rest with new water, add crushed coral, and call it a day? And/Or should I add a small buffer of baking soda as it takes some time for the coral to work and we don't want a pH crash?

You're the best Alex! thanks for all of your help! (and the others too, thanks guys!)

There is no real value in adding old water, but you should transfer everything else over, especially the filter and its media to run alongside your new one.

When the time comes, please start a thread, and you can get more help :)

I guess we are calling it case closed? :P thanks for all your help guys! If something comes up again I could always thread-bump it I suppose, but other than that I think we're out of the woods and he's back to his normal self.

I wanted to show a happy!video of him cruising around, instead of just seeing him sicklike. I'm noticing he has developed more silver and gold scales... they had just been sort of few and far between before, amidst some flat, dull scales. but now look how shiny he is! :D XD

The water IS clearing up, its much better than yesterday, so another 20% WC the next day or so should clear it up.

tank readings today: .25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, pH 7.3 did some amquel+.

Edited by Sennenko

Awwww. Nemo is such a gorgeous fish, and he is so shiny. :)

I think that as far as this thread is concerned, we have addressed and essentially resolved the outstanding issues. The next part is the upgrade, and I think that merits its own discussion thread that is not D&D. :D

You did a fantastic job, and I am very happy for you! :)