Saving Nemo....... (please help with advice)

Sennenko

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammonia .25ppm, did a 20% WC. Took out a plant to give him more swim room. Folks said he was more active today!

.3% salt dip:

He was only able to stay in for about 2 minutes 15 sec or so..... he was really moving his mouth in a gasping way, open in a really big O not really swimming but propelling himself backward along the edge of the container in circles. It looked like he was resting on the edge of the container almost sideways which I knew wasn't good, so i'd give him a gently nudge with my finger and he'd right himself and them swim backwards for a little more. I took him out immediately when my nudges didn't make him move and he remained on his side.

He seems to be fine in his holding tank now, swimming around.

phew!

Edited by Sennenko

Yes sir!

I felt bad for him! I also forgot to mention his eyes got really bulgy in the dip too, I was a little unnerved... like the inside disc of his eye was angled down toward his stomach with the top part sticking way out at the top. OMG? like a 45° angle.

Nemo seems to be doing really good, he was swimming around when I got home. Ammonia was at a negligible amount... .10pmm

I seem to have a bacterial bloom! Water is a little hazy white as compared to yesterday after the 20% WC I did. Is this a bad/good thing, and should I do another water change? Is it a sign that the BB are coming back? Since I seem to have bumped my cycle when I changed out the cartridge media on 2/1. (I will be switching over to the other stuff very soon with the seeding of my new filter-to-be with the floss & biothingies.)

Unfortunately I just ran out of my last teststrip yesterday (D'oh!) but my master kit is on its way. To play it safe, should I just do 20% daily WC to keep this bloom and any other parameters under control until my kit comes?

Can I just ask are you doing daily water changes with RO water?

Not any more... per alex's suggestion I've switched over to my tap and am using amquel+ to dechlorinate. My pH and GH/KH were just marginally higher in the tap than what my parameters had been using the RO water. The water is super soft here (rain water catchment reservoirs.) So we are gearing up to slowing raise those levels.

20% daily WCs is not unreasonable for now. :)

I'm so glad to hear that Nemo is doing better! :D

Another dip tomorrow, yes? There should not be too many more in the future. :)

Will do! I want to take a video of him swimming around happily for you now, I hate to only show him to you while he's under the weather. :P

Edited by Sennenko

Flips,

My readings for the tap have been consistent from the first post, except I didn't have the ammonia test. Now that I do, these were my last readings from a couple of days ago:

· * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm ~ maybe .05ppm? it's really negligible. (it's not a solid yellow like my chart yet it's not much leaning toward green either, certainly not .25ppm. Not even in between 0 and .25 really. I rinsed out the test tube pretty well, I thought.

· * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0ppm

· * Nitrate level (Tap) 0ppm

Comparison between the RO water vs. tap parameters.

· * Ph Level, (RO) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.2 pH, 0~20ppm KH, 25ppm GH

· * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8 pH, 40ppm KH, 25ppm GH

Nemo was swimming around like normal today! And greeting me at the front of the tank. My heart soars!

Ammonia .25ppm today. Then 20% WC.

.3% salt dip update:

His limit appears to be just over 2 minutes... he started to drift to his side again.. I waited a second or so for him to right himself... but when he didn't, and when my gentle nudges with my finger didn't seem right him, took him out immediately again.

He seems to be doing well...!

In fact, just after his WC and before the dip, he was almost hyper in his tank! He was zooming around all energetically and even did a weird somersault tumble when he tried to turn too fast, sort of like how you can slide out from underneath yourself and tumble if you're turning on a bike onto a gravel road, lol.! (At least this has happened to me...) Oh strange! Funny fishie! Can't wait to get him the space he deserves.

So, I'm running out of AmQuel... is there some buffer things I should pick up as well at the LFS? My API master test kit will be here on Thursday. Hooray!

Hey Sennenko, I just wanted to lend a little support again and say how wonderful you are doing with all of this. It is a lot to take in and physical work. You should be proud :) The experts here give great advice but at the end of the day, its you who is listening, learning, and putting in the effort.

I'm glad Nemo is doing better. Alex is a great fish vet.

Edited by GreenTea

Yes your tap levels look ok I would stay with that and not RO.. if you wanted to you could via buffer or add crushed coral to help that KH/GH

I agree with FlipsHere that given your low tap pH value, the best (and easiest) thing to do is to use crushed coral, either in the filter, or as part of the substrate, to boost the kH and gH, and to bring the pH up a little bit closer to 7. :)

Thanks everyone! You've been so helpful and supportive! <3

I'll take a short vid of him being happy for everyone to see rather than him being all sad and sick. :(

Water is still slightly cloudy w/ what I think is a bacterial bloom, but the water changes are slowly making it clearer.

I will see how about the crushed coral at the LFS tomorrow. About how much should I put in to gradually bring it up? Being that my silly little filter isn't set up properly (it still has the cartridge - I will be making the switch to other media soon after the seeding of the new tank I'm upgrading to... just stabilizing the cycle atm) I suppose I'll add it to the substrate?

Should I do that now, or wait until the new tank? I'm still currently having a hard time figuring out the right stand for my new tank. It's slim pickings at the second hand stores here, and I can't do cinder blocks because my floorboards are raised off of the ground (house is build on a hill, lol)...hmmm. the search continues. I will be starting a topic in the DIY thread about this, wondering if my current setup could be successfully modified. will have to take pics. later everyone! gotta work now, lol.

Thanks again for your help... will update if anything is awry...

API master test kit came in today! So, reading the info leaflet with regards to pH, anything lower than 6.0 will not register..... we don't know if this is a accurate reading? darn those test strips... this is even lower than what I thought I originally recorded?! oh no?

6.0 pH

.25ppm ammonia

0ppm nirite

0ppm nitrate <<<< uh? Either it's low because I had been doing water changes daily and Amquel+? Or did I destroy the cycle? The test strips must have been SOMEWHAT of an indicator, which had read at 40ppm many times... surely it couldn't misread that much, right?

LFS only had huge bags of crushed coral. Might have to look online. Also, had a feeling that I'd be getting ripped off on the ceramic media rings.

Would crushed coral be a better and more cost efficient way as compared to using API's "PH up", or "Right PH 7.5" etc? I could see obviously I'd have to administer with every water change, therefore it would be pricey. And I'd have to monitor it more closely. But with coral it's slowly and regulates itself over time?

BTW... Nemo swimming around happily and normally. I rewarded him with a late-night snack of a pea after all this hardship and he went BONKERS for it lol. I want to do more healthy things rather than just flakes! :) hopefully a plant or two to keep him company in his new tank... is it preferable to get plants that are often NOT nibbled on to reduce changes of decaying organic matter?

Edited by Sennenko

Is that the tap that showing 6.0 or the tank?

I'm not surprised that you are getting zero nitrates. You've been doing quite a few WCs.

I'm glad Nemo is doing better. I may ask you to do another dip in a day or two, but he can take a break from that for now.

Crushed coral unfortunately only comes in giant bags like that. It is better to use than other strategies though. :)

Here are my tap readings this morning:

pH 6.5

ammonia .25ppm

Nitrite 0ppm

nitrate 0ppm

What could be causing the pH to drop from my tap water change to tank? from 6.5 to 6.0? yikes! I hadn't done a WC last night, just did a dose of Amquel+ to help with the ammonia. But I had done a WC the day before.

Tank was .25ppm ammonia, & Water was pretty cloudy this morning. His cloudy eye thing was starting to make an appearance again, so I did a 30% water change to help clear things up. However, I forgot to do any swishing of the filter, wasn't sure I should or not, so after the change I peeked at it and by halfway pulling the cartridge up to look at it, the filter spewed a bunch of gunk (little black/grey specs everywhere) so my WC just was rendered useless, so I did a back-to-back 40% change to try to clear up the gunk.

At this change I DID swish out in the old tank water I removed the cartridge which had quite a bit of poo & gunk on it.. swishing made the water really dirty!

So adding those up that was about a 70% WC.... water is still slightly cloudy, but I think his eyes are clearing up. Sheesh! A clear sign that this tank is too small and the filtration is not good enough anymore! It was fine 6 months ago when he was small... but! he's 5" now from nose to tail.

Edited by Sennenko

Do you have baking soda at home? If so, I'd like for you to add 1/2 teaspoon to the tank, and then check pH at least 1 hour after. :)

How is Nemo? If he is still his perky self, then we are ready to begin the longer term fixings :)

after this WC, tank reading for pH was 6.3. just added 1/2 tsp, will let you know in an hour. :)

I actually have some going-ons and errands I have to attend to for the afternoon/evening... should leaving the tank be after this dose be ok until much later tonight?

Nemo is cruising around. I though I caught him bottom sitting after his 2nd WC, but it was just for a bit. he psyched me out.

Sigh! my other critters have been sick, too. Just got back this morning from the vet, where my old man cat Simba (19 yrs old) had to have a tooth extraction because of a major abscessed infection, poor guy was having seizures last night and everything. Baww! It went well though, but he's coming off of the meds and is totally woozy drunk falling all over the place, poor guy. :(

My babiiies.... ! So, I'm glad Nemo is looking up lol.

woah, it shot up to 7.5pH! was that too fast of a change?

That's fine. Please check pH daily, and until I say otherwise, the MAXIMUM water change that can be done now at any one time is 50%, because of the pH difference, OK?

I'm glad he is fine :)