Saving Nemo....... (please help with advice)

Sennenko

I'm currently at work, but as I rushed out of the door the dropkit test looked like it was sneaking somewhere between 0 and .25 ppm, so maybe it was .15ppm? Sheesh, just in a 12 hour period. I'm assuming I should do a water change to get rid of more and prepare the tank for when he returns to it after the salt dip.

Will let you know how it goes! ahh, nervous.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just to clarify... the tub with the solution will be just 1 gallon water, a small tub... and the holding tub for after the dip and before putting in the tank again will be 5 gal water ? I'm going to go purchase these plastic containers at my hardware store after work so I have some new, clean ones just for this purpose... I was using a 5 gal bucket for removing water in the WC processes and used it only for that, but it wasn't pristine and it kept getting moved outside.

Rubbermaid... or clear/white plastic 5gal buckets are ok to use....??? Or are shallower "tubs" better than buckets which are only tall? :) thanks

Conditions in the tank when I got home were .25ppm ammonia, so I did a 25% water change w/ more vacuuming and some Amquel Plus. He only stayed in there after the WC for about 5 or 10 minutes. Took Nemo out and did the dip. While he's in the holding tub now, tank reading is at 0ppm ammonia, yay!

So Nemo's first salt dip went well. I think my nerves were all over the place. I had a helluva time getting all of the water temps right after adding the salt.. it was still too warm, I tried adjusting w/some cooler water and adding some salt back in and then I messed it up and had to start all over again, lol. Got it right in the end, I think. Any tips on synchronization?

He remained in the dip for the full 5 minutes and only sort of slowly stopped and almost-turned, but he righted himself and wiggled around for a bit more, swimming around.

Man, he really hated me trying to get him out of the tank! It was his first time out and I was so afraid of hurting him with the net, but I managed... then I scooped him up in my hand to transfer from dip to holding tub.. hehe, he was so wriggly and cute. He seems to be doing fine, checking it out, I think he doesn't know what just happened!

So after an hour in there, I can transfer him back to the main tank?

Edited by Sennenko

Yes, please do transfer him back in after one hour. :)

I'm glad everything went well, and it appears that you are getting your water parameters well under control for now. That should help with things tremendously. I also really like it that you are doing the daily WCs. :)

Let us know how Nemo does after you've transferred him back. I don't expect there to be too much of a change in him, since a 1% dip is pretty tame.

Tomorrow, let us do a 2% dip, so twice the amount of salt as you did today :)

Ok, so everything appeared to be fine... he was swimming around a lot, up and down and all around, and he had his appetite so I fed him a few flakes and he browsed around for almost an hour in his normal fashion gravel vacuuming and searching at the top. All of the little white spots, cloudy eye, scratch, etc is all gone.... when I last checked I think he was tired from all the extra going ons and was resting on the bottom like he normally does to rest at night.. he'll get up once and a while to do a few more rounds.

but Aaaallleeexxx :cry

I fear he damaged his back flowy tail in the netting process. I tried catching/cupping him in my hands but he really was racing away. I had a hard time with the net, but I tried to be really careful. I only thought of using a little plastic container and corralling him into it as a much gentler way after I searched the forum, so I did this method to put him back in the tank.

It appears the outer edge of his tail split on one of the "viens" and it's sticking out like a finger now. There is one longer one (1/4 inch long) and a shorter one on the other side.

is this a problem? Is the salt dip going to be not good for it? bawwwwwwww I ruin everything! :cry1 :cry1

See what I mean here:

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

Edited by Sennenko

oh good. I've been so fretful these past few days. I felt so bad.

*Edna voice from Incredibles* No nets!

Once we go through the dips and get the levels in check, hopefully I won't have to keep doing daily WCs right? I know that the conditions must be getting worse faster because its just a 10 gal tank, so I'm wondering if my schedule might be 2-3x a week? Hopefully not everyday for long...?

And then next we'll explore raising PH/hardness I suppose, right? Silly soft water.... our county water is all water-catchment rain water reservoir, not ground... so that's why.

Ok, tomorrow .2% salt dip it is? If my ammonia level is ok in the tank I don't still have to do a WC do I? THANKS AGAIN ALEX YOU ROCK! :rockon

thanks! Hahahah I tried liking your post and it says I've reached my maximum quota for the day. but everything you say is so helpful! You should write a book. I'd totally buy it. XD

Ok, so second salt dip at 20 tsp went well, I had more flow down this time, lol. XD

Ammonia was at .25ppm this evening when I got home (then did reg. dose AmQuel). He was back again bottom sitting not looking to thrilled. He wasn't very responsive when I got up next to him and touched the glass with my hands. Family was in & out but said he wasn't very active at all when they tried to notice. Of course, as soon as I began trying to take him out of the tank he was Mr. zippity and squirmy.

He's moving around in his holding tank now but a little lethargic. He's coming up to the surface more and seems to be perking up, so that's good!

Alex, if you could take a look at a thread I started for upgrading his tank? I would appreciate your input if you can, when you get a chance. I just came home with the 20gal kit I showed in the first post. On page 2 tithra gave some very helpful advice on how I was to deal with my filters... because I have the dinky canister filter currently, and was using cartridges, which she advised against using for the new setup and instead to custom-fill with floss and ceramic rings.

http://www.kokosgold...rading-my-tank/

Which just made me remember RIGHT BEFORE I created this topic on Saving Nemo that I had administered a carbon cartridge filter change (on 2/1/13) so perhaps I upset my cycle. boo! Are we taking the right steps to remedy this? I assume the salt dips are good for purging the ammonia buildup in him. Though, for how many days will we be doing this? I will go try to follow up on educating myself a little more on the pinned threads. arrrrgh :cry

Oh I hope his new tank will make him happier! I just want to do it right. So if these problems are due to a bump in the cycle we have to establish it again first. But to be honest he was acting funny BEFORE I did this. (top floating for 2+ days then bottom sitting for 1+ day, which made me administer a WC and filter change.)

Would this involve not replacing the cartridge and just letting it stay in there for longer than a month to build up the BBs in my small canister filter again first, so that then I can let them transfer to the new filter when it's time to transfer?

Tank reading is currently 0.1ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate.

I want my pretty baby to be happyyyyy. :( 20 gal was all I could afford in terms of $$, and space. Space is super limited. So at least we will be at the bard minimum stocking dimensions, hmm?

Edited by Sennenko

Things are looking pretty good.

I'm going to have you do one more dip tomorrow, and then we will figure out the next step.

Have you seen Nemo poop? If so, what does it look like? How is his appetite?

I think you are doing a fantastic job, and the 20 gallon is fine. I have been looking at the other thread, and you are getting excellent advice. :)

Things are looking pretty good.

I'm going to have you do one more dip tomorrow, and then we will figure out the next step.

Have you seen Nemo poop? If so, what does it look like? How is his appetite?

I think you are doing a fantastic job, and the 20 gallon is fine. I have been looking at the other thread, and you are getting excellent advice. :)

D'awwww thank you! <3 :Jig:

I saw a piece of some regular poo caught on a plant when I came home, and I ushered it into the filter with my wooden stick I use for poking at the decorations, as well as a longer, regular-colored poo that was still sticking to him when he was bottom sitting but it dislodged itself and I helped it go into the filter just before I took him out for the dip.

He's back in his tank and eating regularly w/appetite. yay!

What percentage dip tomorrow? :)

Edited by Sennenko

Bring it up to 3% please, so triple the amount used on the first day :)

That's great about the poop. The reason I ask is that normal poop would indicate that he is not likely to have internal infections.

Ok. will do!

He developed one slightly cloudy eye after the dip, is this normal? Is it the slime coat shedding? Perhaps he scraped it in struggling? When I scooped him into a small plastic container to move him he was really swimming up against the inside of it!

Also, what should my temp be? I currently have it set to 72°~73° F

Got home form work just now and now he has TWO cloudy eyes! One of his eyes that was not an issue last night (he only had only slightly cloudy eye) has a bizzare look to it now, almost like a white film that has puckered to a point and its really sticking out. There was even an air bubble caught under this "ledge" of film. What oh what could it be Nemo?!

Alex, you had initially thought he had bulgy eyes and I said I hadn't noticed... but I feel they are definitely more now than they were. I was trying to compare old pics of him and I guess there is or was more bulging.... definitely now.

Bottom sitting hiding under his plant and not moving. He's doing this weird thing with his eyes, too, almost like blinking but they move down and into his body while the top part of the eye pushes out. aagh! You can se him do it at the end of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAN8YlZ1LaM&feature=youtu.be

a>

Panic mode omg I feel like I'm somehow making things so much worse. :cry :cry Should I still do a WC and still administer .3% salt dip? Is he not getting enough oxygen? We had been unknowingly turning off the bubble wand at night, my folks kept thinking it was only "decorative" and using more electricity than needed and I insisted he needs the bubbles but I didn't know for how long, at least half a day if not more (I was given misinformation! But again, we had been doing it this way for the last 6mos. prior...!), and tithra now has confirmed you really should be running these 24/7. My pump is a stupid Aquaculture apparently from Walmart, which is noisy. I think I'll get the Tetra whisper like she recommends, along with more aeration like a line & stones, rather than the wand?

Have you ever used submersible pumps, Alex? For really good aeration/circulation? Powerheads any better? Or does that make too strong of a current? One like this or something similar: http://www.amazon.co...ubmersible+pump

0ppm ammonia

0ppm nitrites

5-10ppm nitrate

I fear there is definitely a bump in the cycle since I had changed the carbon cartridge on the 2/1. But the presence of nitrates means something's happening, right? Before I transfer him to his new tank and seed the new filter this has got to be under control with BBs. aaaaggh *panic panic panic*

Edited by Sennenko

sorry, messed up the code on the last one and for some reason can't edit again.

Here it is, sorry so big but I wanted you to see the weird tapering happening:

Also, there is a white spot that almost looks like chaffing where his gimpy fin is coming out of his gill.. you can see this in the reflection.

waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

IMG_5659.jpg

Edited by Sennenko

Don't panic. The cloudy eyes are from the ammonia toxicity.

I will be honest and say that he is in pretty bad shape, but we will try to do all that we can to help him. Let's do the WC today, but skip the salt dip for now.

Is he still eating?

*....shuffles in with head hanging* Hi, I'm senn and I'm a neurotic mother....

I had to go out again for a couple of hours on an emergency family task while I left poor Nemo to sit in his tank.. when I came back he was floating/swimming around the middle of the tank, and I think, I THINK, his eye looks a little better. He's eating now.

God! I shouldn't have kids, lol. XD

No dip? just wc?

Edited by Sennenko

Alex, I really appreciate you walking me through all of this. I just want to see him swimming around all happy to see me when I get home like he used to lol.

Sigh!!!

What do you recommend next? Should keep him in with the tank for a few more weeks to re-establish the BBs in the filter? I just placed my order for the API master kit a day or so ago, waiting for that to come in the mail.

Let's try to get him more active and recovering before we deal with the tank situation. For now, just monitor ammonia, and either add Amquel or do WCs to keep things safe for him. :)

Status update!

So strange, that puckered white eye issue really did almost go away a few hours after I posted that last night (after the WC), and this morning was not really there. However, when I returned this evening from work it was definitely back again, though maybe not as bad as before. He was bottom sitting again, (apparently most of the day too, according to my folks) but when I was starting the WC he became active. Checked the parameters and ammonia was at .25ppm.

I did a 50% WC and almost immediately (1/2 hour later) his eye was fine again. huh! direct correlation!

He ate, albeit sort of oddly... he had the appetite, but he was chewing up his flakes and then spitting them out in a cloud of little pieces, but was hungrily going after more. He eventually vacuumed/foraged it all off of the gravel in due time. I was concerned that all of the little bits would get lost in there and make things worse.

It's been another hour later, and he is actively swimming around and foraging.