Goldfish Obsession / Hoarding! I think I have a problem.

SumoKoi

Well, things aren't working out the way I had originally intended. Over the past couple months I had sold off all of my rare tropical fish collections in an effort to streamline my life and cut back on maintenance. I was and still am, anticipating a busy schedule this year with lots of traveling so I was looking forward to less chores. Things were going really well and I was able to get down to two empty tanks (135g & 95g) and the fluval edge (6g). It was then that I entertained the thought of going to cold water fancy goldfish with the idea that it would be less maintenance, required feedings and running costs since I would be able to turn off two 300w heaters. And that's when these cute little fish got the better of me where each one has such charming character and interesting traits that I just couldn't help but collect them to see how they would develop. Combine the different varieties, distinguishing traits and colors, and you can see how things can quickly get out of hand. 3 fish turned into 30+ and now all my tank and pond setups are running full force. I now have the 135g, 95g, five 55g drums, two 250g ponds setup strictly for goldfish... and just when I thought that was going to hold me over...I ordered a 300g stocking tank this past weekend. Geez, what have I gotten myself into? When all is said and done there will be ~1355g (not including the 600g fountain pond) for raising these guys. Anyway, just thought I'd share how this goldfish hobby has turned on me. Can't wait till the new 300g arrives!!!

There is still the Goldfish Detox option! Trust me, ya ain't see nothing yet. If one of these lottery tickets ever transform me into a millionaire, all the Kokonuts will be scheduling year-round field trips to my Goldfish Attractions!

This made me laugh! How will you do all the water changes? Have you hired someone to come in and help you????

Looking forward to seeing your tanks :)

All my tanks are placed in a location that makes water changes very quick and easy. My 95g is right by a window and the 135g is by the front door. All I do is take a 1 1/4" silicone hose to siphon the water directly outdoors which is very fast (~1 minute). The 12g and 6g is done the regular way by 5g bucket which is nothing. The two 250g are rigged w/ ball valves from the filter drums and with the a turn of the valve, they get back washed and drained. The 55g drums are barely stocked (1-2 fish) so water changes happen only on occasion since I'm experimenting w/ hyacinths. I wipe down the glass w/ a microfiber towel, treat w/ api concentrated water conditioner and the only thing that takes time is filling the tanks back up by slow spray via adjustable garden hose & nozzle (~15-20 minutes per tank). I inspect/adjust anything that needs it while one tank is filling up. I alternate the rinsing of filters on a day when there is no water change. I have the water changes down to a rhythm and can do all tanks in little over an hour, usually twice weekly. Old fish water is used to water my container plants, planters, and/or rinse the dog kennel. So while there is a lot of tanks, I have things setup to get the maximum enjoyment out of the hobby while being somewhat efficient.

Arrival in an 18 wheeler!

IMG_6390.jpg

Unloading!

IMG_6392.jpg

In place!

IMG_6393.jpg

Beginning the cycle! Man, this thing is ugly! lol All i have to do now is put together the filter.

IMG_6394.jpg

Edited by SumoKoi