Sign in to follow this  
r11

What do you feed your goldfish during low temperature season?

Hello, I need help. what do you guys feed your goldies during winter time or during lower temperature? Does it have to be wheat germ base? or it depends on the protein amount in the fish food? Whats your food brand suggestion? Thanks

Unless you guys use heaters. what temp?

I use a heater to keep my outdoor aquarium at 60-65 at night. I think I've read that wheat germ foods are not needed because it is not any easier to digest at lower temps, but I may have mis-red. Is this a pond or aquarium you're worried about?

Edited by LovelyChaos

You feed them the same thing as other times. However, keep in mind that at lower temps, you will want to feed less, because the fish will have a lower metabolism.

Thanks for the reply. Its for an indoor fish tank. But I think the temperature drops down to below 60F because my house's temp is about 67-68 during the noghts through early morning.. I havnt bought a thermometer.

Hi there, I live in Sacramento as well. :) What temperature is your tank at right now, or do you have a pond?

For a tank, I would only use a heater if the water is getting below 68 degrees consistently. This is more to aid the beneficial bacteria in your filter though, most fancy goldfish will be comfortable into the 50's, and even lower for single tails. At 68-70 degrees, you can feed a normal staple diet without worrying too much about their digestion. Lower than this though, you should reduce their protein intake and feed less overall. Once it gets into the low 60's/50's, I would only feed a few times a week. If it is below 50 degrees, halt all feeding but this should obviously only pertain to an outdoor pond.

You can feed wheat germ, however, there are a lot of people who just continue feeding the fish's normal staple diet during colder seasons, just in smaller amounts. I personally feed my pond fish Hikari wheat germ pellets/Repashy gel food during the winter, and my Wakin have done wonderfully so far. :)

Thanks. This is for my indoor fish tank. I have not feeding my goldies in my pond. I should feed them atleast once a week but the temp is ice cold.. I still have to get a thermometer.

Thanks for the reply. Its for an indoor fish tank. But I think the temperature drops down to below 60F because my house's temp is about 67-68 during the noghts through early morning.. I havnt bought a thermometer.

The thing with water, is the outside temp has to dip waaaay low to get the water temp to get really low and even in a house I don't think it gets low enough to stop feeding altogether. I would get a thermometer to see what the temp is exactly. You can run a heater to bring it up closer to 65-68 degrees. I feed my fish every other day when it's particularly cold, and it's just the same old repashy, blood worms and omega one pellets. Wheat germ isn't really necessary (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

I just order a heater and a thermometer through amazon. These are great advices from you guys.. Thanks..