Sign in to follow this  
michaels133

new tank help and advise

I have recently been reading up about goldfish and what to feed them etc..I have spent about 6 days doing so, I have a 18 litre tank (from when I was younger and had no idea what I was doing and my fish died after a few months)that I am currently cycling with ammonia, what I was wondering is would it be possible to use the water from the tank when it is cycled and put it into a 120litre (26 gallon) tank to help with cycling that tank, I am planning to put 3 fancies eventually in the tank and maybe a pond snail or something similar, I would like to add one other small animal that would go with the goldfish and the snail any ideas of what I could add in.

I was planning to plant java fern and maybe a few other plants once the bigger tank is cycled

I would then use the small tank to quarantine the new fish that I get one by one, would this 18 litre tank be big enough to keep a small baby goldfish in for 3 weeks to then add to the 120L??

Any help and advice would be appreciated!!

Michael

Welcome to the forum!

The beneficial bacteria that create your cycle grow primarily in the filter media. There are negligible amounts of BBs in the water so adding the water from a cycled tank really doesn't do much. What you would want to do is move the cycled filter media over to the new tank - this would give you a cycle in the new tank.

When did you start the cycle? What are your current water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)?

Unfortunately, the 18L (5 gallons) is not large enough for a QT tank. You'll want about 37L (10 gallons) minimum for a QT.

The 18L is definitely not big enough for 3 goldfish, even temporarily. You'll want to wait until you get the larger tank to get any fish.

The stocking guidelines for fancies are 15-20 gallons per fish. So a 26 gallon would be great for 1 fish, and a tight squeeze for 2. Two could potentially be kept temporarily in this setup, but it would require extra water changes and being very diligent about testing the water etc. However, when I say temporarily, I don't mean years, I mean months.

I started the cycle yesterday, and I am waiting for my API test kit to arive before I can test the nitroginous waste and pH.. It should arive today or tomorrow.

Everywhere I read about the amount of water one goldfish required to ive many years thet mostly said 10gallons per goldfish, and that single tails require larger space, so I thought I would get fancies instead as they are smaller, and I was only planning to have one fish in the 18L at a time for 2-3 weeks just to ensure there was nothing wrong with them before I added them to the bigger tank, and I wasn't plaaning on getting any fish untill the 120L tank was cycled, what else could I put in with goldfish in that size tank? I won't be getting the 120L untill about the 28th of feb so will be two months before I can use the 120L roughly

Thanks for the reply

The stocking guidelines for fancies are 15-20 gallons per fish. So a 26 gallon would be great for 1 fish, and a tight squeeze for 2. Two could potentially be kept temporarily in this setup, but it would require extra water changes and being very diligent about testing the water etc. However, when I say temporarily, I don't mean years, I mean months.

I would just like to add that my tank is also 120 liters so I quickly realised that when 26 gallons were mentioned, that meant imperial. This is actually 31 US gallons so should hopefully be ok for two :) But not for 3, and certainly not with any additional pooping machines such as snails etc.

I started the cycle yesterday, and I am waiting for my API test kit to arive before I can test the nitroginous waste and pH.. It should arive today or tomorrow.

Everywhere I read about the amount of water one goldfish required to ive many years thet mostly said 10gallons per goldfish, and that single tails require larger space, so I thought I would get fancies instead as they are smaller, and I was only planning to have one fish in the 18L at a time for 2-3 weeks just to ensure there was nothing wrong with them before I added them to the bigger tank, and I wasn't plaaning on getting any fish untill the 120L tank was cycled, what else could I put in with goldfish in that size tank? I won't be getting the 120L untill about the 28th of feb so will be two months before I can use the 120L roughly

Thanks for the reply

Goldfish get quite large and produce quite a bit of waste. 10 gallons per fish can be okay in a pinch for a short period of time, but is not large enough for a forever home. If you look around the forum here you'll see that a very minimum of 30 gallons is recommended for two fancies. It is certainly up to you in the end, but I believe you will have troubles keeping 3 fish healthy and happy in a 26 gallon in the long run.

Please take a look at the info in these links if you haven't already:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

http://www.kokosgold...m/tensteps.html

If you want to keep two in the 26 gallon, you will not have room for anything else. Snails, and other compatible fish increase the bioload of the tank so a certain amount of water volume must be accounted for any additional animals. If you had two goldfish you would already fully stocked.

Here is the quick list of goldfish compatible aquatic creatures, but again, each one needs a certain number of gallons allotted to them. For example, even an apple snail needs about 2.5 gallons a piece.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/comfish.html

I would just like to add that my tank is also 120 liters so I quickly realised that when 26 gallons were mentioned, that meant imperial. This is actually 31 US gallons so should hopefully be ok for two :) But not for 3, and certainly not with any additional pooping machines such as snails etc.

thank you for pointing this out :) I think in US gallons and always forget about imperial! ;)

So, yes, the 120 liters would be just fine for 2 goldfish, no other creatures :)

Also, about fancies being 'smaller' they actually are not. They tend to be a little shorter in length overall, but they make up for it in bulk/mass width-wise. When we look at weight as opposed to length, fancies can actually be larger than single tails. The idea that fancies need less water volume has come up for debate here before. There are some that argue (and I would place myself in this camp) that fancies need as much water volume as single tails because the produce the same amount of waste (if not more). A larger tank is often recommended for single tails simply because they are thought to be 'better'/faster swimmers than fancies, so a larger tank with more swimming room is preferable.

Yeah I forgot to meantion imperial..thanks haha.

So you don't think I would be able to have 2 goldfish in the 120L tank with one snail and have the filter from the 18L added into the 120L so I have two filters in the tank, would it then be able to cope with the extra waste?

And regarding the QT I have 2 massive storage boxxes I would say could contain about the same amount as the 120L tank if not more, so I belive this would surfice.

Just check them massive storage boxes.. Wash them and I would leave some clean cold water maybe half full and wait a few days then check for ammonia in the water.. as ive had problems before where the clear plastic boxs leech ammonia for some reason

Edited by FlipsHere

Okay thanks I didn't even think of that...so what about the snail with the extra filter from the small tank?

Okay thanks I didn't even think of that...so what about the snail with the extra filter from the small tank?

I think a snail would be OK

Okay thank you, what substrate would you suggest for the plants and what plants do you think will be best?

Okay thank you, what substrate would you suggest for the plants and what plants do you think will be best?

Plants that are typically considered goldfish proof and good beginner plants include anubias (there are lots of varieties of these from little tiny ones to tall ones), java fern, amazon swords, and crypts (lots and lots of different types of crypts available). Vallisinaria is another really nice easy plant that I like, but there is a small chance it would turn into a snack depending on your fish.

If you decide to go with plants like swords or crypts you'll want to use root tabs to give them extra nutrients. Anubias and java fern are easy plants that do not even need to be planted, many people just tie or glue them to a rock.

There are lots of choices for substrate, gravel, sand, nutrient rich planting substrates like eco complete or flourite. It's really up to you and what you prefer the look of. Many people here like the carib sea supernaturals sand line, but I'm not sure what you have available to you where you are.

There's a huge planted tank section of the forum with lots of great info that you should take a look at :)