Oranda showing signs of dropsy :(

Batto

Hi guys my lovely oranda Miss Kissy has what I am certain to be the first signs of drospy, some raised scales and bloated around the tummy.

I noticed faint red blotches underneath and a nasty looking red wound covered with clear blistering near her tail this morning :no: , these wounds have come on very quickly in the last 48hours as I check my fish regularly .

I have just transferred her to QT and have started the epsom salt treatment

All test results in the main tank were fine and as she now is in QT I have not provided them

Unfortunately as I live in Australia I do have access to any antibiotic/meds that can treat a bacterial infection should she beat the dropsy

She is such a lovely fish, I have only had her for a little while but have always been able to hand feed her she is very "tame" and affectionate

Any suggestions what I can do??

Can you please fill out the form to the best of your ability so the mods can help you? :)

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5.0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seacham Prime
  • * Water temperature? 20 degrees
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago 50%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 150 L
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 ranchu approx 15cm long, oranda approx 10cm
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily homemade gel food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) no
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? red blotches, red wound with blistering on top, beginning of dropsy
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? currently sick fish is in QT and is bottom dwelling
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi treatment approx 2 weeks
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. Having problems uploading pics will try again later

Here are some pics, the best I could manage.

misskissy059_zps0bda8e7d.jpg

misskissy064_zps1207f7cf.jpg

misskissy065_zps91313597.jpg

misskissy063_zpsda3cb13a.jpg

Edited by salvo

Do you have access to a vet (aquatic, especially), whom you could ask for help? Recently, there was another Australian who was able to treat her fish with a med called Enrotril. This is worth trying, since the problem seems to be bloating, pineconing, and that sore on the swollen side. :(

No I don't have access to an aquatic vet

This is sooo frustrating seeing her like this and not being able to do anything.

I do have 5 500mg capsules of amoxicillian???

Edited by salvo

I think Alex means me and if you are from Sydney by any chance, there is a wonderful avian/reptile/aquatic vet in south-west Sydney. They are lovely and will do the best for your fish. Let me know if you are and need their contact info.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys, xox unfortunately I live in Melbourne

I've been doing some research on amoxicillian it is used to treat fish with bacterial infection, my friend has about 5 capsules of this antibiotic left over from a trip to the dentist.it is about a year past it used by date but I have read that antibiotics can maintain their potency for up to 10 years .

This link in particular has me hopeful

http://www.everythingbiorb.com/biorbstore/index.php/fish-mox-amoxicillin.html

I'd like to give it a go, what do we reckon?

Amoxicillin is not designed to treat bacterial infections in fish. It is unfortuantely a class of antibiotic that is useless to use on fish.

The white around the wound means it's already healing. Just keep giving it clean water :)

Do you have anyway of uploading the dropsy behavior on video?

Is it just the raised scales that are bothering you or is the movement of the fish being affected as well? I'm interested what you put in your gel food. :) What's the temp of this QT?

Good luck, I'm running to work but others will be along to help :hug

Thanks bodboba,

Oh dear I have just added a 250mg to the water should I take it out?

She is eating and swimming well like nothing is the matter.

I have raised the temperature to 25 degrees

I followed a recipe for my gel food off kokos if I remember I used salmon, peas, spirulina, multi vitamin, peas, kale, pro biotic, agar agar I have it frozen and made it approx 6 months ago

Edited by salvo

Today I took the amoxicillin out of the water each capsule also contains the salt trihydrate which I have read in INSOLUBLE in water anyway so it is pretty useless to continue even if there's a chance it could work.

Miss Kissy's wound is healing fast so the water changes have helped immensely. She is so active and hungry all the time you would think there was nothing wrong with her :heart .

She's still dropsy I am so bloody frustrated that Australia doesn't allow antibiotics to help our sick fish grrrrr.

I have had success with bacterial infection/dropsy before (however I had some metroniddzole that I brought from a guy down a dark alley)

I will start the epsom salt treatment again tonight and I suppose next time you hear from me will be either good or bad news.

I know you said you don't have access to an aquatic vet, but do you have any vets in your area that treat exotic pets, or reptiles? You probably won't find anyone that would call themselves an aquatic vet, but an exotic vet may treat fish, or at least might be able to get you some Metronidazole.

Thanks guys,

OMG why haven't I thought of this before :o I have taken my guineas pigs in emergencies to a vet just around the corner, he has a HUGE TANK STOCKED WITH GOLD FISH!!

I'll try first thing in the morn.

:( No he doesn't do fish :no:

I came across this guy for all you Aussies living in Melbourne but he only visits Melbourne 1st Saturday of every month :no:

http://www.thefishvet.com.au/ornamental_fish.html

This is the lovely Miss Kissy :heart

th_misskissy092_zps0aaa4e6f.jpg

She's a perky little water angel and by her behavior she appears very healthy

Do fish ever survive dropsy without medication?

Edited by salvo

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/disease-information/dropsy-updated-2012-r330

Here is some info on dropsy. Fish do have immune systems so normally if you catch dropsy behavior really early the fish will have a chance to heal itself. Unfortunately we normally do not catch it early enough.

How is the wound doing in the epsom water?

Thanks bodoba, I will read the link

The wound is pretty much healed, I am impressed by her recovery