Sign in to follow this  
Rojo

Setting up a saltwater tank

Okay i am a new member with a growing love and passion for this hobby i recently introduced one of my soldiers to my fish and he also shares the passion so now its like our thing we also brought along another person but, being that we have salt water tanks my friend wants to start a saltwater tank but doesnt know where to start any advice would be great! Here are his thoughts on this subject, he doesnt know if its easier to maintain a 30g vs a 55g, or can he actually use salt water from the ocean and sand from the ocean, and what are the important pieces of equipment that he will need. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for your answers.

With saltwater tanks, bigger is always easier to maintain, and many people recommend at least a 55 gallon tank for beginners. I wouldn't recommend using things from the ocean for a beginners tank either. It is techinically possible to do so, but it can be hard to find water and sand that are clean enough for use. The equipment needed will depend a lot on what kind of saltwater tank you want. Just fish? Fish and corals? What kinds of these?

I know nothing about saltwater. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain stability. In smaller tanks, parameters can vary so drastically within short amount of time. I would go witb bigger and the more he learns, get in a routine and become more knowledgable and comfortable, he can pursue the nano world. When power goes out, water goes bad and toxic so much faster in small tank than larger (and its worse than freshwater). I know some saltwater forum, not I'm not allowed to recommend. Do a search to find some to join. I dunno if there is a local club in Hawaii? You will get much better help elsewhere rather than here since this is mainly Goldfish. Some members here do keep saltwater. Hope they will chime in.

Thank you guys for the replies. He said he want to do fish with some coral because of the maintenance. I will keep you posted

You can start out with only live rocks and slowly progress from there. There are "cleanup crew" to add, work on cycle, etc. One very hardy fish are the clowns and they can do just fine without anemone.

A little update we went to a fish store yesterday and one of the employees there said we could even get a 20g long tank and make it saltwater tank along with a canister filter. Just get the right salt mixture and get the parameters right and when water evaporated just fill it back up regular water as long as the salt leves were good

A little update we went to a fish store yesterday and one of the employees there said we could even get a 20g long tank and make it saltwater tank along with a canister filter. Just get the right salt mixture and get the parameters right and when water evaporated just fill it back up regular water as long as the salt leves were good

Technically you can keep saltwater in any size aquarium you want. I've seen people keep coral in a 3 gallon tank, but it's not something anyone would recommend for a beginner. The smaller the tank is, the less stable the system is and things can fluctuate and go wrong more quickly. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a 20 gal, just realize that the less water volume you have, the harder it is to keep it stable.

Technically you can keep saltwater in any size aquarium you want. I've seen people keep coral in a 3 gallon tank, but it's not something anyone would recommend for a beginner. The smaller the tank is, the less stable the system is and things can fluctuate and go wrong more quickly. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a 20 gal, just realize that the less water volume you have, the harder it is to keep it stable.

Thank you! that was very well stated, short, sweet and to the point. it will definitely change my train of thought about this i might upgrade my 55 to a 120-150g for my three goldies and add two more fancies, and turn the 55 into a saltwater tank, i was going to initially do a planted tank but after going out and seeing how beautiful these saltwater fish are has completely changed my mind. Once again thank you

The 120 would be the best option. As it has deep front to back. Nice footprint for your rock work. I regret doing a 55g. Do some research before you buy anything. Get all your rock at one. Every time you add new rock, it will start the cycle over. Get a good skimmer and set up a refugium with a sock filter. You can go with T5 lighting or LED. Don't need a MH light, those are out date and would require a chiller. If you go with T5 go with a 6-8 bulb set up. If you go with LED, get a reef compatible system, not the one that are sold at Petco/Petsmart.

Once you have your rock set, let it cycyle for about 2-3 months before adding anything live. Weekly water changes. Get a good test kit. After 2-3 months start adding your cleaner crew. About 5-6 months you can start adding fish and corals. Don't add to much at once, as this will spike your amonia. After 5-6 months you can drop your water changes to every two weeks.

This is exactly what I have done and I had no problems. Best to use RO/DI water, it will reduce the algae breakouts. Also you can hook up a phosban reactor in the refugium.