Goldfish Really Ill Still...

Guest jostring

Guest jostring

Hi

I posted at the weekend about my golfish Pob being unwell.

Thought he had white spot but more like ulsers on his head - because the spots are bigger that sugar granules.

Anyway went to shop was advised of aquarium salt and myxazin.

Got home put 3 teaspoons of the salt in (35 litre tank) and the recommended myxazin. Been adding the myxazin everyday since sunday - he seems to be worse as in he is sitting or lying on the bottom hardly able to move???

What's happening???

The nitrate levels in the tank are normal - took the carbon out of the filter.

I think I cannot do anything else for him now.

Gonna do normal quarter water change at the weekend if he is still with us -and add just a quarter teaspoon of salt. Should I continue with the myxazin until I see a noticable change???

Any ideas anyone???

thanks.

Jo

xxx

:(

Guest jostring

Hi

Well I have a kit to test nitrate and that's it - it results in being clear if none and really pink if lots - possibley a really basic version of a nitrate testing kit to have.

But by it - the nitrate is fine.

Jo

xx

Hi, Jo. What kind of goldfish is Pob?

How big are the spots, and do they look fuzzy/tufty at all? Where exactly on his head are they, and are they anywhere else on his body?

See if you can get your ammonia and nitrite levels tested. If you tank a sample of your water to the pet store, they'll test it for you. Make sure you let them know you want actual numbers, don't just let them tell you whether or not your levels are "fine". Bacterial meds can affect your filter, and you may have an ammonia and/or nitrite presence in the tank, so it's important to get it checked.

Guest jostring

Hi

My goldfish is a comet - not sure how old he is but I have had him about 3 years.

The lumps on his head are about as big as the end of a ball point pen maybe slightly bigger - and they seem to be under the 'skin'. They are on the top of his head and nowhere else.

I really do fear he will not last - he is just lying sideways on the floor of the tank - and he tries to move but he just moves a bit - you can see his eyes move - maybe he's in pain.

If the amonia levels are high which I don't know then I guess its a water change - but I did that at the weekend.

Maybe he doesn't like the salt????

I really don't know what to do - I feel helpless and guilty!

jo

xx

Guest jostring

Hi all

he is still alive but still not well.

He is just lying on the bottom of the tank on his side and I can see he's trying to move but can't.

Well if he doen't die of whatever he's got he will definatly die of starvation. He isn't feeding at all - probably because he cannot move...

Should I nudge him - encourage him to swim????

HEEEELP!!!

:cry1

Jo

Hi Jo,

If you only have 3tsp of salt in the tank, then I would suggest adding more

I normally start at 1tsp per gallon, which is quite safe and can act as a tonic to a sick fish. I'll state the usual facts...

1. Make sure you are using a proper aquarium salt or sea salt. DON'T USE TABLE SALT as this is impure and has additives to stop it caking etc.

2. Dissolve the salt in a little warm water and add to the tank gently and slowly.

Also, you really need to make sure the water is perfect. If you don't have the correct test kits, then take a sample of your tank water down to your local fish store. They will be able to test it for you, and give you the results.

If you are unsure, a water change will not hurt. Do about 20 - 25%, and when you add the clean water, make sure it's treated with a dechlorinator. Also, when you take out the water, you will be taking out some of the salt as well. So make sure you add salt for the amount of water you replace.

With regard to feeding, if he goes for more than a day or 2 without feeding, then you could consider force-feeding him. This is generally a last-resort, but I had success with one of my fish doing this. You can get a child's medicine syringe (no needle) from a chemist, and use it to push a little cooked, mashed pea into your fishes mouth.

One quick question also, are your fishes fins up, or clamped tight to the body?

Guest jostring

Hi

thanks for your suggestions.

His gills aren't moving very much just occasionally when he breathes.

I think he's getting better because he is not on his side this morning.

I will get a childs cyringe today and try and feed him - great idea!

thank you so much for your advice

i will let you know how he gets on!

jo

xx

:hi

Guest jostring

Hi all

well he is still the same.

Just done a quarter water change this morning - a week later!

Took some pics of him this morning...

you can just see one of the lumps on the top of his head.

go to:

pics of ill Pob

tried to get a syringe yesturday but no luck - I guess the food in the water breaking up would feed him in a way???

still none the wiser!

Joxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jostring

Hi all

Over two weeks later and still ill...

Advice/reply I made at fishgeeks.com - I shall do a 30% water change everyday, keeping the water as clean as poss and try feeding peas - though I don't think he can physically get to his food and I am afraid it will pollute the water.

I had a brain wave and put one of those hliday feeding stones in the tank??? Think that's a good idea or not??? Should I remove?

This morning he was going mad in his tank - flipping around the bottom of the bowl, making a right noise! - i really feel I want to take him out of his misery! He looks as though he is very uncomfortable - can golfish feel pain???

The lumps on the head - someone else mentioned that it was probably breeding marks - they are raised and rough no very white just lightness of his skin. So this is bad???

He lives on his own and he's about 8cm in size and I live in UK in a village - the water is hard here. Heard that can be to advantage though???

I feed him food of the floating pellets kind and previously he has been quite happy feeding on this. (?)

Just wondering would the smell be just the water or coming from Pob himself because he is ill???

I have a very basic water test kit for nitrate - and I have been advised before to get the water tested at an aquarium shop. Just cannot get out to do that. From this kit it says no nitrate exists.

I have owned goldfish now for maybe 15 years now - and as you do you learn from your mistakes and learn more and more all the time - especislly from a golfish being ill and coming to these forums - they are a God send - I really though I had cracked it looking after fish! i really can only think that he has some sort of odd disease that cannot be diagnosed.

(Thanks for all your time and advice by the way)

Jo

xx

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jostring

Hi All

well sadly Pob died on the 12th of April (yesterday)

He just didn't seem to get any better!

I really think now that it was the bad eye that got him in the end.

when I took him out the water - he had a white ###### eye - he had black all under his gills, black on the tip of his tail and he seemed to be grey inside under his body - as if he was rotten - like I said the smell didn't go - so I guess it was him.

He was also curved, bent up the last couple of days.

At 3 pm uk time (20 mins ago) I duried him down the bottom of the garden under the tree next to Jaws (goldfish of 14 yrs until last year)

Its a lovely sunny spring day and I had done my first grass cut of the year - made the garden all pretty again... just for him.

Jo

xx

Archived