Sign in to follow this  
IvoryValentine01

needing a plan for my fry's future

ok, so after the first batch of fry I had died off at 13 days, I don't know that I was holding out so much hope for the second batch. well, they're gonna be two weeks tomorrow and apparently insanely healthy as not a single one has died with the exception of the four I euthanized last weekend for really deformed spines. I haven't found any others in since that seem faulty in anyway so here's me trying to come up with a plan and needing some help from ya'll...

all of them, and there are many (50+, I'd say altho I haven't actually attempted to count them thus far...I just know there are waaay more in this group than the last) are currently living in a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 airstones on about halfway. I have big plans to clean said tank tomorrow as the water stinks and is sorta driving me nuts altho is does not seem to be bothering the fry in the slightest. really, I am trying to figure out where to go from here...these are my questions...

1.) How long can the lot of them stay together in the 10gal. I'm assuming not long since they are about 1/2" long now and super active.

2.) Since no more of them seem to be defective at the moment, I don't really see why any should be euthanized simply because there are so many...what is the best way to keep them/separate them into smaller goups? tank/tub sizes and how many per would be super helpful.

I have the space and empty tanks and can get tubs if need be. And I have already lined up several places for them to be rehomed when they are old enough...altho anyone here would have second dibs (after me, of course), if they want any of them.

3.) When are they old enough/big enough to have non-sponge filter?

4.) Am I correct in understanding that they can be fed something that is not brine shrimp when they are a month old?

I can only answer question four with certainty. I know that my fry started on repashy soilent green at week 3 and have all thrived on it. It's a great food for them and full of good protein and greens.

Hi IV01 and congratulations . seems as your doing just fine.

1. as long as water quality can be maintained but as they begin to bulk up in next few weeks the water will foul quicker and one day, boom die offs start. 90 or 200 would be better. you can do it in 10gal ( 40 liter) but requires a lot of extra work.

2. seperate by size as there should be a fast grow group, and a very slow to no grow group and all others normal.. (3 groups) as they grow more water is better 200 liter is a nice size ,I raise mine in ponds 500 liter to 7000 liter but the surface area is the most important part .

3.when they have the size and power to not be sucked up into the things. I learned that the hard way when the intake nets fall off you can loose entire group.

4. yes they will tell you that they want more mommy more pleae. I should think that brine shrimp will not be enough after week 2-3 if fish are growing well..

these are my personal observations and am sure that others will have much more one how to do it properly.

ok, so after the first batch of fry I had died off at 13 days, I don't know that I was holding out so much hope for the second batch. well, they're gonna be two weeks tomorrow and apparently insanely healthy as not a single one has died with the exception of the four I euthanized last weekend for really deformed spines. I haven't found any others in since that seem faulty in anyway so here's me trying to come up with a plan and needing some help from ya'll...

all of them, and there are many (50+, I'd say altho I haven't actually attempted to count them thus far...I just know there are waaay more in this group than the last) are currently living in a 10 gallon aquarium with 2 airstones on about halfway. I have big plans to clean said tank tomorrow as the water stinks and is sorta driving me nuts altho is does not seem to be bothering the fry in the slightest. really, I am trying to figure out where to go from here...these are my questions...

1.) How long can the lot of them stay together in the 10gal. I'm assuming not long since they are about 1/2" long now and super active.

Test your water daily. When you are getting to the point where you are getting ammonia between your water changes you need to reduce your numbers or increase the containers.

2.) Since no more of them seem to be defective at the moment, I don't really see why any should be euthanized simply because there are so many...what is the best way to keep them/separate them into smaller goups? tank/tub sizes and how many per would be super helpful.

You can separate by size, weight, or standard to breed characteristics. You would offer more space to the larger, heavier or closest to standard. Most breeders have 3 tubs to separate their fry in the beginning 2 months and use all three of these to decide what goes where.

I have the space and empty tanks and can get tubs if need be. And I have already lined up several places for them to be rehomed when they are old enough...altho anyone here would have second dibs (after me, of course), if they want any of them.

3.) When are they old enough/big enough to have non-sponge filter?

Normally when they aren't struggling against the water current. This is usually done between 3-6 months for stronger fry and after 6 months for weaker fry. It also depends on the breed as bubble eyes and other delicate breeds are slower to develop so more time is alotted to growing them.

4.) Am I correct in understanding that they can be fed something that is not brine shrimp when they are a month old?

http://www.kokosgold...om/FryFood.htmlhttp://www.kokosgold...om/FryFood.html

:) good luck

Edit: posted the same time as mikroll :tomato:

Edited by bodoba

thanks, ya'll. I'd be totally lost without your advice. the fry are 15 days old today and I'm gonna go out and start rounding up stuff to separate them into smaller groups and try to decide what they will be eating in the near future.

So, tomorrow the babies will be a month old. There are still 227 of them. They are currently just split into 2 large tubs each running 2 sponge filters (113/114). Right this second, I am setting up tub #3 which will also run 2 sponge filters. I note that many of them, many of the ones that have grown quite large already have single tails. I was planning to just separate them into the 3 tubs (76/76/75) but I am wondering if maybe it might be best to just separate out all the babies with single tails into one tub of their own as there are many of them, they're growing quicker than the others and they are seriously the fastest of the bunch and then just split the double tails into the remaining 2 tubs for now. Right this second it is not my intention to keep any of the single tails for myself but one of my hubby's coworkers who is setting up a 100 gallon and said he'd take some of these babies did express interest in taking single tails from the lot. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I think it depends upon what your goals and demands are. Saving the best , shape , colors,size whatever is your goal is a good thing say the top 50. all others get sorted and if you have a client who wants the singles or no grows then great grow them for him. at least that is how I do it. If you try to save all then you need a big pond

donot forget to give the fluke treatment soon as precaution..

there's no way I can possibly save them all. there are 225 of them total. I separated the single tails out yesterday into their own tub. There are 88 of them. The others are separated into 2 tubs of 68 each. There are many no-grows I'm going to cull, I guess. They are very tiny...can barely even see their tails & fins at a month old. There are also several large double tails that I'm prolly going to separate out from the group tubs. They are the largest and should have more space to grow anyway as I'm told. So basically of the 136 that are not single tails, I'm gonna cut that down to like 60. As for the single tails, most quite big already, much bigger than the others and I have 2 lfs that will take them & a friend of my hubby's that wanted some.