I feel like this is a silly question, but how do I clean my cannister filter?

• Supporter

I'm ashamed to admit that in the whole time I had it running on my axolotl tank I never cleaned it. It has all the media from my goldie tank in it now, but after my mum fed the fish I think it's got quite clogged up and is running a lot slower than it usually does (HOW Many times have I told my mum just don't feed them...her idea of feeding is dumping like half a container of food in the tank) so Ill need to do a water change now so I can see my fish and think Ill need to rinse the filter media..

BUT How do I do it iwthout creating a huge mess? (Last time I attempted it I unplugged it and undid it and flooded the house .-.)

Well, there are a few things:

1. I also put my canister in a bucket, to prevent spillage.

2. I do my canister cleaning during a WC, meaning that the tank will have been drained of most of the water.

3. There are also shut off valves on the intake and outtake tubings to prevent spilling. :)

I usually do mine when I have a large bucket of old tank water i just siphoned out, I tip all the media into the old tank water to keep it alive, shake off the corse sponges to remove grime, replace the filter wool, give the inside of the canister a wipe, clean all the motor housing and the impellor etc. Then once every few months I clean out the pipes as they become clogged. Replace all the media and put it back together, re-fill the canister with the old tank water and connect it back.

Only once have I disconnected the pipes and forgot the close the valves rofl.

You need two buckets and a towel. Put the canister in a bucket. Put the top cover on a towel. Take out the media and rinse in another bucket of tank water. I'm sure the mechanical pads are quite full and dirty, replace those. If you are using carbon, replace those. They must be replaced every month. Bio media, rinse them lightly in tank water. That's all! Its the same as HOB cleaning.