Nerite snail questions for 10 gal betta tank...

wteoh1

So I have some questions about nerite snails since the algae in my tank is out of control.

1. can they escape from the tank?

2. can it eat the debris from the substrate?

3. can my betta be aggressive to the snail? he did fine with ADF's in the past

4. how long do they live?

1. Yes they can. Do you have any kind of cover?

2. What kind of debris? My fish always get to every last bit of food. I do think they find stuff in the tank to eat . . . Every once in a while if the diatoms are gone I will put them in a breeder box inside the tank over night and give them an algae wafer or two or some Repashy.

3. My betta hardly pays any attention to my nerite. The nerite hardly comes out of its shell, even when moving around the tank. I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

4. I believe they live up to a couple of years. :D

I always worry about their little eye stalks, but I had more problems with my yoyo's and borneos vs. snails than the bettas vs. snails (yes, yes, I know, Loaches + Snails = Bad, I've learned)

I kept nerites with bettas no problem, as FTF said they hardly have any body exposed from the shell (not like an apple snail does) so they are well protected from small fish like bettas.

They are tidal snails (can briefly leave water) so there is a chance theyd escape, some sort of cover/hood is best just to be sure.

They seemed to me to focus more on grazing the glass and decor than the substrate but that isnt to say theyre incapable of doing that.

Mine all lived for around 2-3 years after purchase.

Ps. I think in smaller tanks its best to look at getting the Horned Nerite variety as the others get large and may quickly outgraze the tank, though its always required to supliment their diet as FTF also mentioned.

I always worry about their little eye stalks,

My betta got to those on the apple snails (and quickly :o ) but no problem at all with the nerites . . .

I don't have dead plant debris as I've just started to add a plant or two to the tank recently. Not sure if they'd eat it or not? :idont