Is It _really_ Necessary?

joneus

Since school started I have been insanely busy (full time job + full time student = no free time) and realized that I had forgotten to clean my platy tank for a good 2 weeks :thud . But when I did the water test, the levels were all fine and my nitrite was below 20. Its a 10g with 7 adults and 5 babies (soon to have a new home, hopefully) and is fairly heavily planted with (get this...) a UGF :blink: (and yet, my plants are thriving...go figure) Do I _really_ have to do weekly water changes if my nitrite levels stay in the safe range?

Like Kev said, check your I's and A's. I'm quite sure you meant nitrAte, but we're just checking on you. :) 20ppm nitrAte is fine, but 20ppm nitrite and your fish should be dead. ;)

If your tank isn't overstocked, you can get by longer without doing water changes. If you choose to go longer between changes, do larger changes when you do do them. Platys aren't near as messy as goldies, so you don't have to be as concerned with the organics piling up. Some of my lesser-stocked goldie tanks and some of my tanks containing other fish varieties only get water changes every 10-14 days, and they do just fine.

:)

I do find it really necessary to do water changes.

The poop,left over food, ect ect won't rot and

your water won't become toxic for your fish.

What type of fish are they live breeders?

So it is best at least to do 1 week water changes

if you do decide to do water changes every 2 weeks

i would

do at least a 50% water change....

i agre with happy here, tropical fish are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less messy than goldies, and fully stocked i do water changes of 30 percent every two weeks, theres a couple of plants in there and the nitrates bounce around between 20-40ppm :)

Kev

Archived