Shrimp molting.

BurningIvy

Hey =) I was just curious how frequently ghost shrimp molt? I wonder because it seems every other morning I am terrified thinking a shrimp is dead when really it's just a shell. How often do they do this?

Depends on the shrimp. Sometimes they molt after a large parameter swing (as in a very large water change, or moving to a new tank), other times, it is just because they are growing, which will happens more frequently when they are small. My adults molt about every 3-4 weeks. It isn't uncommon to see one molt one day, then another molt the day after, and etc., which can make it look like it is going on for a really long time. :)

They also grow (and so shed) more the higher the temp gets.

You can usually tell if its a molt because it will be split widthways right behind the ''head'' section where the shrimp pushes itself out of the old skin, which saves some panic ^-^ (especially since they tend to hide right after shedding until their new shell hardens, making it seem even more like they might have died).

Remember its good to leave the shed skin in the tank because the shrimps will eat it to get calcium and minerals back.