Fish lice in snails shell.

dakotak

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't think that is a fish louse. Fish lice are a little bigger than that, and they are flat, disc-shaped. I think it's actually a tiny freshwater crustacean like these here:

Are those similar to freshwater limpets?

No, I don't think so. These little crustaceans are free-swimming and they move fast. But they are round, not disc-shaped like the fish louse, and they are smaller than the fish louse. In dakotak's video, that thing does not appear to be a fish louse because it's a lot smaller than fish lice and it's round, instead of disc-shaped. From what I can tell... the video isn't very clear.

Limpets are also freshwater mollusks, and not bugs/lice. They are very prevalent in my area in IL. They move incredibly slow, though, and do not look like the creatures in either video. A little research turned up that ostracods (in your video, Sakura) are prevalent in Texas, so you're probably dead on. Asking the snail experts @applesnail.net if there are any snail safe ways to get rid of them, as I am unfamiliar with the particular problem. The limpets just go away on their own without a food source- not sure about these guys.

I do believe step 1 will be doing a REALLY good tank cleaning, focusing on the gravel and filters, though. These kinds of things almost always pop us from a little too much organic material in the tank. I'll be back as soon as I hear more.

I would just like to add that even though fish lice are usually large enough to be obviously lice, I recently saw some in a LFS unfortunately, and there was some very small ones as well that were clearly lice and sucking on the poor orandas just like the larger ones. Other than that I have nothing to add - I'm enjoying learning even though this thread makes me itchy.

Edited by GreenTea

LOL- they are a freshwater mollusk. They come in with the tap water as eggs,

So...They could be hatching in my tummy right now?!?!?!

Thank you Sean. The ones in my tummy just got frequent flyer miles and are now on a cruise, cuz that just made me hurl.

Edited by Smegy Psiren

Seriously. Going to shower. I knew there were freshwater worms but not tiny crustaceans, especially in the tap water. I'm fascinated!

LOL- they are a freshwater mollusk. They come in with the tap water as eggs,

So...They could be hatching in my tummy right now?!?!?!

Thank you Sean. The ones in my tummy just got frequent flyer miles and are now on a cruise, cuz that just made me hurl.

Please stop being so hilarious! You are making my face hurt.

Seriously. Going to shower. I knew there were freshwater worms but not tiny crustaceans, especially in the tap water. I'm fascinated!

But, now you have to think of the fact that the water you are using to shower, to wash off the "ickies" from this post, is also where the "ickies" came from... so, you're really just putting them on you, instead of getting rid of them.

(you're very welcome everyone, but mostly Smegy- MWAHAHAHA!)

But, now you have to think of the fact that the water you are using to shower, to wash off the "ickies" from this post, is also where the "ickies" came from... so, you're really just putting them on you, instead of getting rid of them.

D:

Ugh fine. DIRT BATH! Who's with me?

Hooray for most creepy topic ever? :rofl

The video is uploading now. I cant promise they will be any better though.

DEFINITELY a fun topic. No worries, we'll sort it all out. Just do the best you can, and I'll let you know as soon as I get a response form the snail experts. I want to make sure, primarily, that whatever is in there is harmless to other aquatic life... and to see if there is a snail safe treatment to get rid of them, I am guessing no, as what 1 mollusk/crustacean will be sensitive to, most others will, as well... but, I am asking anyways! If it is a harmless "tank gunk" eater, you can usually get rid of them by just gravel vaccing daily, and keeping meticulous tank maintenance until they starve out. This would mean continuing to feed the snails in a tub, and waiting until they pooped up the tub before returning them to the tank.

Let's see what they have to say over at applesnail.net, though... I am interested to know!

D:

I second the dirt bath. D: I just wanted to watch Thundercats and go to sleep tonight, now Im watching videos of creepy water bugs. :crying:

D:

I second the dirt bath. D: I just wanted to watch Thundercats and go to sleep tonight, now Im watching videos of creepy water bugs. :crying:

Hehe! Ain't aquarium keeping grand? Don't get me started on what's in the dirt... ;)

DEFINITELY a fun topic. No worries, we'll sort it all out. Just do the best you can, and I'll let you know as soon as I get a response form the snail experts. I want to make sure, primarily, that whatever is in there is harmless to other aquatic life... and to see if there is a snail safe treatment to get rid of them, I am guessing no, as what 1 mollusk/crustacean will be sensitive to, most others will, as well... but, I am asking anyways! If it is a harmless "tank gunk" eater, you can usually get rid of them by just gravel vaccing daily, and keeping meticulous tank maintenance until they starve out. This would mean continuing to feed the snails in a tub, and waiting until they pooped up the tub before returning them to the tank.

Let's see what they have to say over at applesnail.net, though... I am interested to know!

Alright :) Me too, I learn something every day keeping my pets.

I wonder if I can use the public schools microscope, Ill ask my Dad tomorrow if he can sneak me in the science room tomorrow night and use that to get some close ups.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that my Dad works at the school and is friends with the teachers, so all he has to do is ask. After I re-read my post it sounded like I was gonna break in.

Edited by dakotak

Alright :) Me too, I learn something every day keeping my pets.

I wonder if I can use the public schools microscope, Ill ask my Dad tomorrow if he can sneak me in the science room tomorrow night and use that to get some close ups.

Well, it's sounding like all possibilities are some form of crustacean or another- HOPEFULLY it is ostracods rather than infant fish lice. It would be a fun experiment, nonetheless, though! Would definitely help someone to identify what it is. From what I am gathering, ostracods are harmless, though. They feed on algae and teeny detritus in the tank (like freshwater limpets), ans won't harm anything else. Lice- not so easy.

Yep, I still think they are Ostracods. They look spheroid (as opposed to flat discs), and they also seem slightly oblong, which fish lice are not.

Yes, I did know that fish lice and limpets are crustaceans. :)

Edited by Sakura

They look like louse to me as well, however I have also had a look at freshwater ostracods, which look very similar in your video but due to the video quality, it's really up to you to have a close look and decide between the two. :)

http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1

Edited by Narny105

OK- got a response at Applesnail.net. Their snail guru over there also says ostracods and not lice. His suggestions are pretty much the same as mine in being that they're harmless, just cut back on feeding a bit and clean your substrate really well to get rid of them that way. SO, here's what I'd like you to do, please.

1) Do a 10-20% water change on whatever tanks they are in, focusing on vaccing the substrate really well 3 times this week. It doesn't matter how much water you actually change out, just make sure that the gravel gets cleaned really well.

2) strip down and clean your filter(s) on the tanks that house them really well. Use tank water to save your bacterial colonies, but make sure to get the filters really well.

3) Take the snails out & feed them in a tub overnight. Just give them a LITTLE food. Before returning them to the tank(s), rinse them with some tank water into the tub to try to knock out as many as those little buggers as you can into the tub water, and then dump the tub water down the drain. So, hold the snail out of the water and above the tub, use a little cup & pour some water slowly all over the snail, making sure to get around their shell openings. HOPEFULLY this will help to flush the ostracods out, and help to get rid of them.

Let's see how this goes for the next week, and then decide if you can go back to your normal routine. In the mean time, I will do a little more research on them to see where we need to go from here, if the recommended steps above don't do the trick. Work for you?

You said your brother neglected his tank before his betta died, correct? If his tank was scuzzy, and he was overfeeding, this is probably where the ostracods got introduced. Just make sure to keep up on tank maintenance, and don't over feed, and you should be good to go!

Do you know what tank they are living in? So far, what I am seeing as an alternative method of disposal is to house guppies in the infected tank to eat them. Do you like guppies? LOL.

Edited by JamieMonster

OK- got a response at Applesnail.net. Their snail guru over there also says ostracods and not lice. His suggestions are pretty much the same as mine in being that they're harmless, just cut back on feeding a bit and clean your substrate really well to get rid of them that way. SO, here's what I'd like you to do, please.

1) Do a 10-20% water change on whatever tanks they are in, focusing on vaccing the substrate really well 3 times this week. It doesn't matter how much water you actually change out, just make sure that the gravel gets cleaned really well.

2) strip down and clean your filter(s) on the tanks that house them really well. Use tank water to save your bacterial colonies, but make sure to get the filters really well.

3) Take the snails out & feed them in a tub overnight. Just give them a LITTLE food. Before returning them to the tank(s), rinse them with some tank water into the tub to try to knock out as many as those little buggers as you can into the tub water, and then dump the tub water down the drain. So, hold the snail out of the water and above the tub, use a little cup & pour some water slowly all over the snail, making sure to get around their shell openings. HOPEFULLY this will help to flush the ostracods out, and help to get rid of them.

Let's see how this goes for the next week, and then decide if you can go back to your normal routine. In the mean time, I will do a little more research on them to see where we need to go from here, if the recommended steps above don't do the trick. Work for you?

You said your brother neglected his tank before his betta died, correct? If his tank was scuzzy, and he was overfeeding, this is probably where the ostracods got introduced. Just make sure to keep up on tank maintenance, and don't over feed, and you should be good to go!

Do you know what tank they are living in? So far, what I am seeing as an alternative method of disposal is to house guppies in the infected tank to eat them. Do you like guppies? LOL.

Sweet, works for me. I don't have gravel in either tanks so it will be breeze. Even with gravel I'm cool with that. Unfortunately I don't know what tank they are in. I guess I could put my boys in one tub and the girl in the other to see where they come from.

Yea my brother neglected the tank sadly.

Guppies are cute. I'll look up the requirements for them and see if the tanks are suitable for them.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Sweet, works for me. I don't have gravel in either tanks so it will be breeze. Even with gravel I'm cool with that. Unfortunately I don't know what tank they are in. I guess I could put my boys in one tub and the girl in the other to see where they come from.

Yea my brother neglected the tank sadly.

Guppies are cute. I'll look up the requirements for them and see if the tanks are suitable for them.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Oh, they can be housed together- if they mate, the egg clusters are SUPER easy to spot and remove. You don't have to worry about a population explosion. ;)

Edited by JamieMonster

I know they can. I just felt bad for my female. They where always mating her. I figured I would seperate them until I got another female to even out the odds. I doubt she cares though. XD

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2