Fish lice in snails shell.

dakotak

I took my snails out of their tanks (two males in my 10 gallon and one female in a 5 gallon) and put them in a tub to feed them. As they ate I saw what appeared to be fish lice. Now I have no clue how they got there. My two males came from a breeder with no fish(supposedly) and my female did come from a petstore but I have had her for quite some time now about a month or two and have not seen any since I got her.

The only changes that have occurred is my brothers betta died in the 5 gallon a few days ago from him not taking care of it. I never saw any lice on the betta, we got him as a baby and there where no fish introduced, any plants had been bleached before they where put in.

I am sure that I have not cross contaminated the lice over to my goldfish tank but Im not 100% sure. But Ill be watching like a hawk to make sure. Do the lice pose any threat to my snails? Should I take them out and just bleach the tanks and filters and start over? Or will they die off without a fish to feed on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the fish, just make sure to check for any signs of louse on them. If so, you can often do a salt dip to remove them- if it doesn't, they should be relatively easy to get off after one or even before one with some tweezers- you just need to be careful when doing so. . either way, I would be doing a salt bath before or after removing any louse from the fish :) I don't think it is at all necessary to bleach and start over. Many people have had louse appear on their fish

I'm guessing they would potentially harm snails as they do with fish, however as for removing them, I will PM a member who is particularly good with snails for you and will be able to help you out in regards to that. I really don't know. :) Could you possibly take a photo?

Edited by Narny105

For the fish, just make sure to check for any signs of louse on them. If so, you can often do a salt dip to remove them- if it doesn't, they should be relatively easy to get off after one or even before one with some tweezers- you just need to be careful when doing so. . either way, I would be doing a salt bath before or after removing any louse from the fish I don't think it is at all necessary to bleach and start over. Many people have had louse appear on their fish

I'm guessing they would potentially harm snails as they do with fish, however as for removing them, I will PM a member who is particularly good with snails for you and will be able to help you out in regards to that. I really don't know. Could you possibly take a photo?

Thanks Narny. I meant starting over for the snail tanks. But im glad I wont have to. ^^

I did take a video and pictures but you cant really see any detail, only them moving around. They where small but had the shape and creepy little eyes. Ill post them later on today.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Oh ok, I thought when you said all tanks, you meant all tanks :rofl

The salt bath is more just precautionary, since it should strip them right off! And providing your fish is fine with salt, it never hurts to put in that extra precaution to make sure there are no others. I don't think you'll have an issue, but best to keep an eye peeled out for any when you check your fish out. Alternatively, you can pull it off yourself

I don't know with snails- you won't have to restart though. I have PM'd a member to hopefully help you with them though ;)

Hello, Hello!

The snail lady here. Can you take a pic for me, hun? I just want to make sure it is lice, and not freshwater limpets that are on your snail. Are they super teeny, and look kind of like a snail that improperly developed, or didn't develop, a shell? Are they larger and look like a bug? A pic would be very helpful. I can try to help you more then.

Edited by JamieMonster

Ooh! How interesting, a Freshwater Limpet!

I've never heard of them before! What are they? Do they harm fish or plants? Do they make great little pets?

How interesting!

Oh my! Oh my!

:D

All my life, I never knew there was such aquatic lice! Can someone post a great material on that? And where do they originate from? How do they appear in an aquarium? What to look for? Is it fatal or similar to humans itching and scratching?

Ooh! How interesting, a Freshwater Limpet!

I've never heard of them before! What are they? Do they harm fish or plants? Do they make great little pets?

How interesting!

Oh my! Oh my!

:D

LOL- they are a freshwater mollusk. They come in with the tap water as eggs, and if you have a tank rich in organic material, they can hatch and survive in there. To my knowledge, they will not harm anything at all. Sometimes you see them hitching a ride on a snail's shell, cleaning the algae and awfuchs off of them. I believe they will also eat dead plant matter, kind of like most of the snails aquarium hobbyists keep to help keep the tank clean.

As far as being pets- they don't really do much. They are extremely slow moving (as in seem to NOT move, unless you watch them over extended periods of hours), and don't really have a personality, so to speak. You'll just kind of see them stuck on the tank walls, on a snail shell, on leaves of plants or rocks, etc. Some people like them in their tanks, though. I've had them hatch in new tanks, as my water source is really rich with them- but they die off in a week or 2, due to there not being enough organic material for them to survive.

Yeah, they're pretty much harmless, but are a sign of a tank that needs a good cleaning, if you have an unintended, surviving population pop up. ;)

I wouldn't want lice in any of mine, Jamie! I think a person gotta be insane to have them intentionaly.

Limpets and lice are different things, Thunder. One is a parasitic bug, the other is a freshwater mollusk, kind of like a clam or snail (in this case, closer to snail). Some ppl into the whole "naturalist aquarium" thing like the limpets (which are like snails, and harmless).

I would certainly hope no one would want fish lice in their tanks. Those are parasites and can harm your fish.

This is what fish lice look like when taken off of a fish.

I think they look cute, swimming all around crazy, I would want to keep them as my little pets, but I would not want to see them on my fish!

LOL- they are a freshwater mollusk. They come in with the tap water as eggs,

So...They could be hatching in my tummy right now?!?!?!

This is what fish lice look like when taken off of a fish.

I think they look cute, swimming all around crazy, I would want to keep them as my little pets, but I would not want to see them on my fish!

EWW! You can have them, Sean... no need to share. ;)

Umm- no. Not even a chance. Your stomach acid will kill them better than a bleach dip. Kinda gross to think about, though, right? ;)

Umm- no. Not even a chance. Your stomach acid will kill them better than a bleach dip. Kinda gross to think about, though, right? ;)

I was kidding, being silly, but that's crazy that they are in our water!

Hello, Hello!

The snail lady here. Can you take a pic for me, hun? I just want to make sure it is lice, and not freshwater limpets that are on your snail. Are they super teeny, and look kind of like a snail that improperly developed, or didn't develop, a shell? Are they larger and look like a bug? A pic would be very helpful. I can try to help you more then.

They are small but they look like a bug to me.

Ok here is a video I got when I put them in the tub. The moving dot is what I think is the lice.

th_P1290024_zps4902a691.jpg

If you need one I can try to get a better video or pics for you if you need them.

So far I have not seen any on my goldie babies. I had a dream about one sucking the life out of my Oranda though. -.-

Im hoping its the limpets like you said Jamie.

Edited by dakotak

Not limpets- limpets are very slow moving, and aren't clear with 4 spots like that. They look exactly like the pic I posted. I have never had a run in with lice before, but it does look like the pics/videos I have seen. Not sure of how to treat that with snails. as snails are sensitive to most of the things the bugs would be. Let me look into this a bit, and I'll get back to you! :(

Hang in there!

I actually don't think that is a fish louse. Fish lice are a little bigger than that, and they are flat, disc-shaped. I think it's actually a tiny freshwater crustacean like these here:

Are those similar to freshwater limpets?

Ok- I just went over to applesnail.net & shared your video there. I'm not sure of how you would treat for something like that. I will get back to you as soon as I hear back from PB, or one of the other amazing ppl over there. I don't want to give any suggestions, here, and have it be the wrong information.

I actually don't think that is a fish louse. Fish lice are a little bigger than that, and they are flat, disc-shaped. I think it's actually a tiny freshwater crustacean like these here:

Are those similar to freshwater limpets?

No, I don't think so. These little crustaceans are free-swimming and they move fast. But they are round, not disc-shaped like the fish louse, and they are smaller than the fish louse. In dakotak's video, that thing does not appear to be a fish louse because it's a lot smaller than fish lice and it's round, instead of disc-shaped. From what I can tell... the video isn't very clear.