Sign in to follow this  
redgold54

Bacterial bloom!

My tank is undergoing a bacterial bloom. I'm 150% sure of this. I did a really large water change took out too much water which killed the bacteria in my filter (idk how much). I test my water and ammonia/nitrite are ok. Nitrate is around 40ppm. My water is cloudy white. I'm afraid the fish will die. What should I do?

My tank is undergoing a bacterial bloom. I'm 150% sure of this. I did a really large water change took out too much water which killed the bacteria in my filter (idk how much). I test my water and ammonia/nitrite are ok. Nitrate is around 40ppm. My water is cloudy white. I'm afraid the fish will die. What should I do?

Can you give us some more info:

- how big is the tank?

- how long has it been running?

- how many fish?

- what kind of filtration? (model etc)

- how often do you change the water and how much?

- what are your current params for ammonia, nitrite, and pH?

- What water conditioner do you use?

- Any medications etc. added to the water recently?

- tank temp?

There's no reason a large water change would affect your cycle, the beneficial bacteria are housed primarily in the filter media, there are negligible amounts free floating in the water.

Also what are your tap parameters?

- how big is the tank? 110 gallons

- how long has it been running? since september

- how many fish? 3

- what kind of filtration? (model etc) rena xp3

- how often do you change the water and how much? i do 30% water change every two weeks

- what are your current params for ammonia, nitrite, and pH? ammonia/nitrite 0 nitrate 40

- What water conditioner do you use? prime

- Any medications etc. added to the water recently? nope

- tank temp? 71-72

I think i waited too long to add prime and the tap water got into the filter so it killed the bacteria.

Your tank readings look good and there's nothing to suggest you've damaged the cycle (you have 0 ammonia/nitrite and some nitrate reading, suggesting a fully cycled tank). Your nitrates are a little on the high side. Try to keep these down under 20ppm (unless you have nitrate in your tap?)

Bacterial blooms are not harmful to your fish in general and are common in newer tanks (under a year old I would consider newer). Extra water changes can help clear up the cloudiness.

If you are concerned about the cycle, just keep an eye on your ammonia/nitrite and do extra water changes as necessary. You can also use a double dose of Prime daily if you are getting ammonia/nitrite readings to allow these to climb a little bit before you do a water change.

How do you kill the bacteria in your filter by taking out too much water?

I take out at least 80% of the water every 4-5 days, without ever causing problems.

Big frequent water changes may not be necessary in your tank at this point since you are understocked but I would still bump up your water changes to at least weekly. Even if water params read okay there are other things that we don't test for that build up in the water over time ;)

How do you kill the bacteria in your filter by taking out too much water?

I take out at least 80% of the water every 4-5 days, without ever causing problems.

I guess I waited too long to dose with prime so water got into the filter.

Big frequent water changes may not be necessary in your tank at this point since you are understocked but I would still bump up your water changes to at least weekly. Even if water params read okay there are other things that we don't test for that build up in the water over time ;)

Thank you!

I was worried this could cause disease for the fishies.

You should add Prime right before filling the water, but even if you wait an hour after, you should still be fine.

I know. I've done it by accident :o

Guest GrahamW

the main concern to fish health during a bacteria bloom is from oxygen deprivation, as these bacteria reproduce so rapidly they use alot of oxygen so increase aeration as much as you can.

bacteria blooms are caused generally by an excess of organic matter in the water column causing strains of aquatic bacteria to become free floating, keep up maintenance gravel vacs will help. sometimes these can take along time to resolve and as these bacteria reproduce so quickly water changes will only dilute the cloudyness for a time. be sure to test water as ammonia spikes are common during bacteria blooms.