Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

DIY water changer?

I was just wondering if anyone else tried this or know how to? I would like to make a sturdier one than the one I have. I know the tubing is pretty cheap, I was going to see about buying extra tubing from lowes to attach to my current tubing and its like half as much as buying the atachment at the lfs. However mine just seems so flimsy, it always leaks and not once has the suction worked, but I don't want to buy a new one and have that not work either since the likely culprit is my water pressure. This is the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Ultimate-25-Aquarium-Gravel-Vacuum-Clean-Drain-Fill-Kit/20607983

I don't have a water changer but I kind of created my own gravel vacuum. I took about a four foot section of clear tubing and zip tied a piece of window screen to the end that goes into the tank and so far it's worked pretty well for just siphoning the water out and getting the gravel pretty clean sometimes gravel gets stuck to the screen but it's easy to just brush off with your hand. To put water back in I just use good old fashioned five gallon buckets. I'm sure the tubing would work in reverse as well but I can't get the bucket higher than the fish tank to try it.