Room temperature and Goldies

To make a long story short, my room temperature fluctuates frequently. It gets warmer during the day and drops back down at night, sometimes the difference can be as much as a few degrees!. All my research shows that its not a good idea to have it change around like that, However; heaters are not necessary for Goldfish aquariums. So should we allow them to have the normal warming/cooling cycle or should we compensate for it by adding a heater? I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area :)

Sigh It always comes back to tank size. I can't wait until the summer and can get an appropriately sized vessel.
aahh don't stress. I know how you feel. I started of with a 30g but it was the wrong shape. I got a second hand tank but it was still a lot of money. I'm sure you're taking very good care of them. I don't thing a few degrees will matter much if the temp changes slowly. I may be wrong though

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Goldfish can handle the change in your room temperature. It is true that the temperature will fluctuate less in a larger tank. But a change of few a few degrees in your tank is nothing and won't harm them at all.

There are many people here who don't use heaters and probably just as many who do. It won't hurt your goldies if its only a few degree swing every 24 hrs. What is the temp of the tank? and what does it change to?

Goldfish are perfectly capable of handling temperature fluctuations of a few degrees. Both single tail and fancy goldfish live much longer and healthier lives in outdoor ponds, where the temperature naturally changes with the time of day and seasons. As long as the temperature is changing gradually and they aren't being exposed to sudden/drastic temperature swings, they will be just fine. Some people might actually argue it's healthier and much more natural for them. :)

Sigh It always comes back to tank size. I can't wait until the summer and can get an appropriately sized vessel.
aahh don't stress. I know how you feel. I started of with a 30g but it was the wrong shape. I got a second hand tank but it was still a lot of money. I'm sure you're taking very good care of them. I don't thing a few degrees will matter much if the temp changes slowly. I may be wrong though

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

I try to do well by them. Water quality was really an issue for 3 babies in a 10G but it seems to have eased up now that their in a 20. (Makes me really feel sorry for the Goldies out there living in bowls) :flex:

Goldfish are perfectly capable of handling temperature fluctuations of a few degrees. Both single tail and fancy goldfish live much longer and healthier lives in outdoor ponds, where the temperature naturally changes with the time of day and seasons. As long as the temperature is changing gradually and they aren't being exposed to sudden/drastic temperature swings, they will be just fine. Some people might actually argue it's healthier and much more natural for them. :)

That's what I was thinking but so much of my research has pointed to stability being key in keeping healthy Goldfish. It made me wonder about those who reside in outside but thought maybe there were special pond heaters or something of a similar nature.

I think I'll take out my heater and just let nature rule for now since the seem to be doing swimmingly despite the flux.

It gets to about 74-75ish in the morning and drops down to 68-70 in the night.

That isn't too bad of a change. If you are really concerned, you can get a thermometer and monitor the water temp through the day. Water definitely does not fluctuate that rapidly and usually for temperature changes we take a couple of hours to acclimate them to the change.

This is totally fine, so don't stress about it. :)

The thing that you would want to avoid are sudden drops in temps, such as going from 75 immediately to 68. Gradual changes in that range should not be a problem.

That's similar to mine, it fluctuates between 68 and 72/3 due to my lighting creating warmth and heating my water slightly during the day. It warms up super slowly and then takes hours to cool once I switch them off.

It's not too drastic a change and will hopefully be fairly slow so should be fine :)

Goldfish tolerate one of the (if not the) widest range of temperature of any fish. Their survival range is from a few degrees above freezing to 106 F. At temperatures below ~40F, the fish are nearly dormant, and at temperatures above ~90F they also slow down. Fancy goldfish are less tolerant of cold than the long-bodied fish, but they are perfectly fine at temperatures that stay above 50F, and many people keep them under ice during relatively short winters.

There is research from Russia that says that young goldfish experiencing regular diurnal temperature change (warmer during the day than the night) grow faster than fish kept at any constant temperature. This would seem to indicate that goldfish are healthier with a normally varying temperature. There is a concept called hormesis, which says that mild stresses strengthen the organism and decrease the harmful effects of greater stress. The classic example is exercise. While an out-of-shape person can be injured or sickened by beginning a program of highly strenuous exercise, if that same person exercises regularly just enough to get tired, but not exhausted or in pain, (s)he will steadily increase tolerance to exercise far beyond the point that would initially have been harmful.

Consider a couple of preschool children. Careful Mom knows that chilling or overheating could make her child more susceptible to illness, so she carefully keeps him as close as possible to 75F, avoids taking him outside when the weather is too hot or too cold, and avoids crowds where he might be exposed to ( :scared ) germs. Relaxed Mom takes her child out for at least a walk every day, to the playground in the summer, sledding or skating in the winter, and gets him into activities with other germy children. They both start kindergarten. Who gets sick?

Consider another situation. You carefully keep your tank at 75F, which someone has said is the optimum temperature for goldfish (I don't know how this was determined). The power goes off in an ice storm and stays off for days. What happens to your fish which have not experienced the slightest fluctuation in temperature all the time you have owned them?

Finally, water changes temperature slowly relative to the air. This is true even for a small tank. My 50 gallon stock tank pond generally swings between the low and high 80s when the summer temperature ranges from a low of 75 to a high of 95. Larger ponds change even less.

Water actually take longer to change temp, even as small as 10 gallons. I have a 5 gallons with no heater and the water maintains steady temp despite room temps. Don't worry about it. And I actually believe heater should be required for G for various reason. For one, it helps their internal system to move along quicker, so get a heater. It also lessen the chance for medical issues.

Thanks all, for the input and encouragment. I think I might be helicoptering my fish children just a little bit :D. Juno (my yellow fantail/pearlscale/wtvr?) was sitting on the gravel for the longest time today and it had me in a tizzy trying to figure out what was wrong with her.

There is a concept called hormesis, which says that mild stresses strengthen the organism and decrease the harmful effects of greater stress. The classic example is exercise. While an out-of-shape person can be injured or sickened by beginning a program of highly strenuous exercise, if that same person exercises regularly just enough to get tired, but not exhausted or in pain, (s)he will steadily increase tolerance to exercise far beyond the point that would initially have been harmful.

This was a fascinating read, thanks for sharing that article! From what I understand, exposure to gradual daily fluctuations means that they will build up a coping mechanism to the environmental stress. Well that works for me.

Edited by Heidi_Rayanne

Water actually take longer to change temp, even as small as 10 gallons. I have a 5 gallons with no heater and the water maintains steady temp despite room temps. Don't worry about it. And I actually believe heater should be required for G for various reason. For one, it helps their internal system to move along quicker, so get a heater. It also lessen the chance for medical issues.

I would agree with some of this. Having a constant higher temp for goldfish can be helpful in the cases of floaters, but this comes of a trade of decreased lifespan, since there is an inverse relationship between metabolism and lifespan. Moreover, it's not true that it lessens the chance for medical issues. It could further increase it. Remember that bacteria and other organism also can benefit from higher temps and divide faster.

So, anyways, more is not always more. :)

Yeah....I have two 4 foot tanks. One is located in the kitchen and very rarely differs from about 65 degrees...the tank in the conservatory varies between 65 at daytime to 60 through the night. Despite the difference, all the little inhabitants seem very happy...... :goldfish:

It helps by me having the central heating at a constant 21.5 degrees throughout the Winter months. :P