Sign in to follow this  
neeceee2

Got pond stuff

This started out as my brothers project. He abandoned it so I thick it will make a good home for Yin and Yang.

Pre filter

Beckett 7078510 Bio Filter without Pump

Pond kit

Beckett 7090110 Medium Water Garden Kit

I was thinking either 5*4*2.5 or 7*5*2. Could be smaller. Would like it to be above ground. Maybe in ground to save on cost though. I live in sc so it should not be a problem for winters. Probly with an DIY filter. I have a very largt flower pot I can modify into a filter. Should not need much for just the 2 fish. Maybe some pond plants to pretty it up. Need start gathering some rocks for the edges. Any one else ever use one of these kits. Rather have a bigger tank but it does not look to be in the cards and we already have the kit.

Edited by neeceee2

Good start. Since you just have two fish, the undersized pump will be OK. A lined pond that is totally above ground requires some serious construction. It's not a beginner project. What you probably want is a partially-sunken pond. How you construct that depends on your soil. If you have sand, like I do, you have to support the walls of the pond even below ground level. If your soil is high in clay, You only need above-ground support.

The easiest, and least expensive wall support is cement blocks. If your soil is heavy (rich in clay), you can dig out the below-surface part and outline the above-ground part with one tier of cement blocks. Because I have sand, in order to have vertical walls, I have to use blocks below ground as well, as you see in my front pond.

DSCF0118.jpg

These blocks are just stacked, but carefully leveled at every step. I really like the 2 1/2 block high depth, and so do the fish. (This layout proved to be virtually impossible to line, and I had to rebuild, straightening the zig-zag on the left side.) The liner goes up over the top of the blocks and then can be held in place with whatever you choose to top the wall. I chose pavers, and they are just sitting there, neither anchored in place nor attached to one another, like this:

DSCF0123-1-1.jpg

That little prefilter box is wonderful. There was one in the water garden when I moved to this house 12 years ago. I'm still using it. I have built several others, but none work as well or last as long as that one.

We have red clay. Hard as a rock. I might be awhile digging the hole. Maybe I could use the dirt to build up the sides. A large rectangle but with rounded corners, If it goes inground will most likly be deeper with less length. Only going to keep the two fish and some plants. Wondering how much shade I will need, it reaches triple degrees in the summer so I dont want it to get overheated. Deeper would be better to keep out prediters, may still need to add a screen to the top to keep out cats. Now I need to find a spot that is safe to dig. Spring will come soon enough to start. What about sizes do you think deeper is better and is 2.5ft enough or should i aim for 3ft? Thanks for responding.

I'm not a believer in using depth to protect against predators with a small pond. You need a uniform depth of over 2.5 feet to keep a heron from standing in the pond and snatching up your fish. Aside from the fact that your surface area to volume ratio is then worse than that of the typical aquarium, a small, deep pond is dangerous to small land animals (including children and pets). I have fished a drowned squirrel out of a 16" deep duckweed tub. A small body of water looks like it should be shallow and invites exploration.

The advantage of a small pond over a big one is that you can cover it to protect against predators and weather extremes. The cover can be secure and still small enough that you can remove it when you are enjoying or showing off your pond. A rectangular pond is easiest to cover. The pond I pictured above holds 18" of water. This spot receives about 4 hours a day of full sun, but those are during the hottest time of the day. There's a water lily that covers about half of the surface during the summer, and the papayas shade one end of the pond. I have a screen cover for the wide end of the pond, and have a plant table along one side that fish can hide under.

If I had fancies in the pond, I would have it fully screened. Typically, they are less aware of danger and slower to take cover than the pond-type fish.

You need to allot at least one foot of liner for overhang on each side, since you have to anchor the liner on all sides. If you were going to make the pond three feet deep, you would need to subtract 8 feet from the dimensions of the liner to get the dimensions of the pond, 6 feet for the two sides side plus a foot for the overhang on each side. With a 10x12 liner, that means your pond would be 2x4 feet.

A 2.5 depth with a 3 by 5 would probably work better, or a 2 depth with a 4 byy 6 sides. 2 foot is not so deep to gig if i use the extra to build up the sides with. Looks like a better plan to me.

We decided to go ahead with the pond, since we have all the stuff to build. It will be half in ground and half above. Out line it as 5ft by 6.5ft with cinder blocks as the top layer, so inner dementions will be less, with a 18in depth. Our soil out there is hard red clay so only the above ground erea needs added support. Plan to spot cement every block into place and a paver cap cemented over the liner. Will line with cloth that we already have a bolt of. Need to assemble a DIY flower pot filter at one end, hidden with rose bushes. Plan to stock with water lilies, flowering bog plants, and maybe lotus. Only add 3 feeder fish 2 red-white and a calico, after the plants grow in a good bit, so fish can hide. Try blend it in with rose garden at the front of house so lots of sun most of day. With a sitting erea next to it. Will add pic once we start in a couple of weeks. I go in for mouth surgery wed so need time to recover and hopefully feel better. Mouth is infected so i feel horrid. Got lots of help to do the job then, about 3 to 5 people volunteered to do it for me the first week of April. Mama planing a cook out after its done to show off. Think they tring to help me feel better cause im so tired. My sister is exicted to do the flowers and hopes to find a blue lily. Cross your fingers every thing goes as planned.

I think your plans are wonderful!

got the pond built. The size kinda changed on me. inside dementions are 64in x 40in x 24in. Cement block walls sunk into thee ground with a 12in paver top mortered in.need to back fill around the blocks, clean up, and fill with water. Should try to get pics in the next couple of days. Hard work, but is looking nice.

Eagerly awaiting pictures!

Here it is. I love it. No fish yet just water and plants. Rose bushes across the back. Still have to clean up and build a filter. Gonna be real nice when all the plants grow in.

Not the clearest due to planting the lilies.

IMG_20130402_172250_zps7d07e2be.jpg

my crew minus one

IMG_20130402_173643_zps2dca618a.jpg

funny looking flower

IMG_20130402_173520_zps4dbf931d.jpg

Me and the boys

IMG_20130402_174143_zpsc604d998.jpg

The pond looks great and the little "flower" is precious.