Sign in to follow this  
EdgarTheFish

Stripey and Grumpy

Stripey my Japanese Shubunkin and Grumpy my Chinese Algae Eater have lived harmoniously in my 30g for the past year. Grumpy hangs out at the bottom, Stripey prefers the middle and top areas of the tank.

Grumpy:

026_zps3683bb7d-1_zpsebf84ddd.jpg

025_zps9c0aeea2-1_zpsc2ac3074.jpg

Stripey:

021_zpsd53f5158-1_zps4b9f38b7.jpg

036_zpsc20512e9-1_zps30f64f92.jpg

036_zpsc20512e9-1_zps082ab4ee.jpg

Beautiful fish! Stripey is very reminiscent of Fang's Hugo! :)

Yaaay, finally an update on my favorite Shubunkin on here! I still will never get over how awesome his story is :clapping:

And I must admit, he does resemble Hugo a lot. Not even sooo much the coloring, but the shape of body and fins. The overall conformation is so similar, they could be siblings. How big is Stripey now, with and without fins?

according to my tape measure-against the glass-while the fish is swimming calculations, she's roughly between 5 and 6 with tail, and between 4 and 5 without. :) For those who don't know. I got Stripey on a rescue mission in October 2010.

061.jpg

017.jpg

At the time she had been living in a tiny tank that the stores sell for betta fish the "large" one gallon tanks. She shared the tank with two calico fantails. All 3 were stunted. So I took them to my house and they lived in my tank until I was able to get them healthy enough to go to my favorite LFS - Marine Warehouse Aquarium in Tampa, FL. This LFS typically has healthy stock and give good advice. I trusted them enough that when I had decided to rehome all of my goldies (they were getting sick from my inability to do proper upkeep on the tank) I took my other fish there a few months later.

After getting my personal stuff under control and keeping my tank cycled with some less-messy tropicals I finally had time for goldies again. So, it was a good year before I finally went back into the same LFS- because I don't trust healthy stock at affordable rates anywhere else. I told the freshwater guy (they also have salt water) that I wanted to trade my tropicals for a shubunkin and he looked at me kind of funny but I had enough credit to get me a couple of cute 2 inch oranda if I really wanted to. I looked at their common/comet tank and saw a very bland fish with no color on the side. I could tell right away due to the blue hue that I had myself a shubie. Then the fishy turned around and it was Stripey fishey! I could tell the "tigers eye" definitely changed a little bit, but after a whole year what fish doesn't?

09a528603475694b9810fb57900bd0b9.png

So here I am, 2 years later with the same type of fish that started my goldfish need. (Edgar the Fish from the state fair is a shubunkin as well)

035_zps59df2202.jpg

013_zpsf3bf2d98.jpg

Thanks for repeating the story for our newer members. I loves Stripey before you had to rehome him and I was so happy to see you found him again :heart :heart :heart

From his size he probably is a little bit stunted (Hugo is not much older but 10.5" total length, same build but longer fins due to age). I swear if you ever have to get rid of him again, I will gladly take him and pay shipping. He is just so gorgeous and lovable :)

Thanks for repeating the story for our newer members. I loves Stripey before you had to rehome him and I was so happy to see you found him again :heart :heart :heart

From his size he probably is a little bit stunted (Hugo is not much older but 10.5" total length, same build but longer fins due to age). I swear if you ever have to get rid of him again, I will gladly take him and pay shipping. He is just so gorgeous and lovable :)

I'm sure she's stunted (she has a bellybutton outie, if I remember right that makes her a girl? lol I don't remember) I never shipped a fish before, but I'd gladly learn how if I ever have to re-home her then you have dibs. I won't charge you anything except shipping either.

That is a fascinating story! :clapping:

I love how Stripey's tail looks like it's outlined in black marker. :teehee