Gasping goldfish

anastasiam

• * Ammonia Level (tank): between 0ppm-.25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 10-20ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap): 5-10ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): PH: 7.5
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Freshwater kit
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Biowheel 200 and 350 totaling 550gph
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? seachem prime
  • * Water temperature? 70F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week 90%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 90% three days ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon, about 3 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, about 4" minus tail
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy soilent green, fresh fruits and veggies. Had spinach this morning. I feed them 2-3 bite sized pieces 3 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no, but I added two moss balls, one anubias on a rock, two anarcharis, and one java moss ring.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) My fantail has floaty and boyency issues and my moor has had dropsy before
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nothing new, but my fantail has had light streaking in his tail for as long as I can remember.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I have used Epson salt as directed by the Mod's with the dropsy, I have fed Metro Meds and Jumpstart, and two cycles of Prazi
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

My poor fantail is acting like he's choking/ gasping :krazy: !

I got up this morning and I fed them a bit of spinach (half asleep) as a treat. I thought I might of given him a piece that was a little too big, but by now he should of chewed it up right? I tried looking into his mouth to see if anything was stuck, but I couldn't see anything :(. I even tried to lift him tail up out of the water to try and dislodge anything that I might not have seen but nothing happened.

I did add a few plants over the past few days, but I bleached and soaked them in prime (and Amquel when I ran out of Prime). I think they've been chewing on the plants too... I bleached one of the marimo balls, anubias, and java moss ring in bleach water for about 7 minutes (it was a weaker mix), rinsed them good, then let them sit in the prime mix for awhile (like 10 mins I think). I did buy one set of anarcharis and over-bleached it on accident and like an idiot tried to add it. I took it back out pretty quick but I'm not wondering if he might have gotten a hold of one of the leaves before I got to it?

I think the ammonia test read 0, but I wasn't sure so I took a picture (for some reason it looks more obvious in the picture than in person :krazy: ):

Photo-0093_zpsf72ecd71.jpg

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0024_zps99cf95b4.mp4.html

This second video is of me dropping a tiny piece of repashy to see if he would eat it. He eats it ok, but he continues to gasp

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0025_zps1ec05778.mp4.html

Firstly, I think your fantail is actually a ryukin! :P

Anyway, that is quite a bit of mouth movements, and you did exactly what you should have done, which was to check for physical damage with mouth etc.

He/she may be experiencing some sort of gill/mouth issues. Let's wait until tomorrow, to see if it will improve. If not, I think you may want to do a couple more Prazi rounds + Metro-Meds.

I don't want to go with salt because of pasty dropsy history.

I always had a feeling that he might have been a ryukin :)!

I'm glad I learned enough from Koko's to have an idea of what to look for lol

Oh man, I hope its not something bad like costia or gill flukes :(. Would the Prazi help clear that up if it was? I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but I'm a worrier lol!

Ok, good to know... No salt with ex dropsy fish!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

Ok, first of all, WOW are those 2 gorgeous fish. :)

I have Methylene Blue, if it turns out that there is something going on that you would normally do a salt dip for. (parasites, bacterial or fungal, etc)... I also have a dropsy fish, and have used the stuff, in the past, for a bunch of different things. It can be good for things effecting gill function, especially. Alex or Anastasia, just PM me if some needs to be shipped. I'm not exactly sure HOW I would ship part of my bottle, but could definitely figure out a way, if needs be. ;)

I hope she'll be alright on her own, though!

I always just assumed he was a fantail because of his long fins but I had a feeling he had some ryukin in him :D

Thank you so much for the help Jamie!! I hope its nothing too bad :(. The only supplies I have on hand is Prazi, Metro-meds, and stuff called Quick Cure (which I've never used). The quick cure has malachite green and Formalin in it... That kind of makes me nervous to use for anything :yikes

I always just assumed he was a fantail because of his long fins but I had a feeling he had some ryukin in him :D

Thank you so much for the help Jamie!! I hope its nothing too bad :(. The only supplies I have on hand is Prazi, Metro-meds, and stuff called Quick Cure (which I've never used). The quick cure has malachite green and Formalin in it... That kind of makes me nervous to use for anything :yikes

You're welcome! Malachite green is the friggen DEBBIL! I stay away from that stuff like it is the liquid/powder incarnation of the plague. LOL. Some ppl use it successfully, but it is pretty toxic, and I have had it kill multiple fish, rather than help them. The problem with it is: if you follow the dosing instructions, you are likely to OD your fish, & it destroys their gill tissue.. definitely not good. You have to be EXTREMELY careful with it. That mamba jamba scares me. LOL. Formalin is supposed to make it "less" toxic, but I still stay away. This is just my personal preference, though. ;)

I agree with your assessment, Jamie, and we actually don't use malachite green/formalin containing products unless it's absolutely necessary, which it unfortunately is in some dire cases.

I agree with your assessment, Jamie, and we actually don't use malachite green/formalin containing products unless it's absolutely necessary, which it unfortunately is in some dire cases.

I am sure with your & Helen's instructions, it works like a charm! The package instructions... maybe not so much. I can see where it could be needed in cases that need very hardcore meds, though. I just won't use it personally, unless I had instructions from someone very experienced in its safe use. I think that's a safe rule to go by with a lot of the meds, though.

Just wanted to clarify that. If it is suggested by a mod here, definitely do what they ask, and don't think that because I won't use it unassisted that it is something you should avoid, since that could have been mistaken with my previous wording.

Yikes! I had a feeling that stuff was bad news!

So, for an update: He's not gasping so much anymore, but he's been bottom sitting all day. I even did a water change in case the Nitates were still too high for him :(. He perks up a bit when I talk to him and wiggle my fingers but other than that he just sits in his corner all day :(

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0027_zps1e05a184.mp4.html

This one shows him going after my finger:

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0027_zps1e05a184.mp4.html

Thank you flipshere! He is such a pretty fish :D I just wish he could swim better :(

He is really floaty right now too :(. I fed him three less than bite sized pieces of repashy for dinner and since then he's been stuck at the top of the tank :(. Is there anything I can do for him right now? He just looks so sad...

Alright :). I haven't started the prazi or MM's yet, I was waiting to hear what you guys would suggest :). He seems like he's able to poop normally for the most part. I have seen a cast with a piece of poop in it a few times. For the most part its been ok

Go ahead with the Prazi and MMs, as I indicated yesterday, please.

Good luck! :)

I'm sorry. I did make that suggestion earlier. I'm sorry it wasn't seen. :(

Anyway, it's OK. Please start on the MMs ASAP.

Oh I'm sorry, I saw it but I was just wondering if I should of just QT'd him or treated the entire tank :). I'm just so paranoid about doing something wrong lol

But I'll start right away :D!

So I've been trying to feed my Ryu MM's and he's being kind of a punk about it :(. The first day I gave them to him he snatched up all the pieces at once at each feeding. Today he's only been picking up one or two at once, chewing forever, then spitting them out every so often... Last feeding I tried soaking the food for about 5 minutes, but he still was being difficult :(.

He's also been super floaty on top of it all and it looks like some of the red lines on his tail might be getting worse

It looks like he's developing some spots on the base of his tail too. It looks like it might be breeding tubercles, but I'm not sure. They're really faint so it might be hard to pick up on camera :(

So he'll eat, but only one piece at a time and only if their really soft...

As for the dots, upon further inspection he has them behind his eyes, on his dorsal, and a little on his scales.

It looks like it might be tubercles, but I think it will be helpful to have some pics.

How many pieces of MMs are you able to get him to eat a day? Give him a pea at some point today, please :)

I'll try and get a picture first thing tomorrow :D ! My camera wandered off somewhere....

So far he's been getting about 25 pellets a day. I fed him a pea, and now he's eating like crazy!

Hi again,

So I have a few updates about my ruy Klaus: the white spots I mentioned earlier are gone. I wasn't even able to catch them on camera.

This morning when I went to feed him I noticed certain areas on him that looked like healing burns. He had the black on his mouth, on both sides of the top of his tail, a little on his front fins, and scattared about his body. I wondered if he could have smacked into the heater when I wasn't looking, but I wonder with the 'burns' being on both of his sides. He was being a little picky about eating too. He left two pieces of the MM's untouched. Before his water change for the Prazi (the third treatment) today, he was swimming mostly normally and pretty active:

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0031_zps7aa25153.mp4.html You can see the 'burns' on him, and the red streaks in his tail since he's been sick.

After the WC he has been bottom sitting, and what bothers me the most is that he now has a pit that has formed on his head. The video's are bad quality, but you can kind of see it on his right side at about 29s. Its the dark spot on his head...

http://s1067.beta.photobucket.com/user/amarjenhoff/media/VIDEO0033_zpsbf076684.mp4.html

I'm really lost and worried :(