Sign in to follow this  
anastasiam

Good day at Petsmart!

You always hear about horror stories from chain pet stores so today I'd like to share a good one :D!

I went into Petsmart today to pick up another Marimo ball and anarcharis (I over-bleached my last batch :P) and the fellow in the fish department asked me what kind of tank these were for. I told them that they were for two very spoiled goldfish that like to munch on my plants. He laughed, then he offered up a suggestion that "goldfish really love fresh greens too. You might want to try cucumber, its usually a little better than flake food" I started laughing and told him that my goldies eat fresh food and repashy gel food as normal meals. My gosh! This guy looked so happy he was about to cry! Of course I started talking about fishless cycling, overstocking issues, and common ailments of goldfish and the next thing I know, the guy was so happy to hear that I took such good care of them he let me have the anacharis for free!!

It made my night to see that some of these workers actually really care about their fish :heart

Do you guys have any happy awesome stories like this?

That is awesome!! Gives me a little hope... Boy I hope that more of those guys show up everywhere!

That is awesome!! Gives me a little hope... Boy I hope that more of those guys show up everywhere!

Me too! I see them pop up every once in awhile but they never seem to be there for long :(

Edited by anastasiam

Guest sharpchick

There's a very informed young woman who works at my local Petsmart. When people come in to start up tanks, she spends a lot of time talking to them about tank size, cycling, habitat, etc.

But I still buy stock from my LFS. Equipment, chemicals, etc., I'll buy from the big boxes.

Not very often. I was the one when I worked at Walmart in the Pets dept. Once several years ago when I was getting a red/white Ryukin, this lady at Petsmart was questioning me and seem too worried and didn't want me to get it. It was odd.

Edited by Thunder

That is great!

I have to say that at least half the fish-care staff at my Petsmart is very knowledgeable and helpful as well. They actually try to get people to not buy the dumb, tiny, fancy betta "setups" but to get them to instead spend less money on these little 2.5g tanks as a betta home.

I'm surprised he was allowed to give you something for free! Very nice though :)

Both the Petsmarts I go to fairly often (One much more than the other) are pretty good. Whenever I get fish from them they're always really healthy and I never notice gross tanks. There's always 2-3 attendants around cleaning tanks or helping people with fish. I've been to good Petcos too but the one near me is pretty bad. :(

I'm surprised he was allowed to give you something for free! Very nice though :)

Both the Petsmarts I go to fairly often (One much more than the other) are pretty good. Whenever I get fish from them they're always really healthy and I never notice gross tanks. There's always 2-3 attendants around cleaning tanks or helping people with fish. I've been to good Petcos too but the one near me is pretty bad. :(

I can never understand Petco. They don't expand. Next city east, a new huge shopping center was built the past few years and Petsmart moved in. Now my city, which is along I-40, is building a new shopping center, but.... I don't think Petco is moving in. Either location, Petco just won't expand. I don't know why. Several years ago in Norman, a new shopping center, Petco moved in. I got two Petco either direction, north or south, about 15-25 miles away while Petsmart are numerous. Petco does a great job with their tanks. Several weeks ago, before I got Bluey, I visited the Petco in Norman and I found tons of Goldfish so large and healthy at great prices. It was like same sizes as big ones at Petsmart, but much less.

Anyone know why Petco isn't expanding normally?

I can never understand Petco. They don't expand. Next city east, a new huge shopping center was built the past few years and Petsmart moved in. Now my city, which is along I-40, is building a new shopping center, but.... I don't think Petco is moving in. Either location, Petco just won't expand. I don't know why. Several years ago in Norman, a new shopping center, Petco moved in. I got two Petco either direction, north or south, about 15-25 miles away while Petsmart are numerous. Petco does a great job with their tanks. Several weeks ago, before I got Bluey, I visited the Petco in Norman and I found tons of Goldfish so large and healthy at great prices. It was like same sizes as big ones at Petsmart, but much less.

Anyone know why Petco isn't expanding normally?

Expansion is complicated though and there's probably some weird reason we wouldn't think of as to why Petco doesn't jump on certain spots. Maybe the rent for those spots is more than they want to spend, or the spots aren't the right size for them etc. It's all strategy on how to make money.

When I lived with my parents the nearest Petco/Petsmart was about 45 minutes away. Where I live now I'm lucky enough to have both in the same city as me, so close you can stand at one and see the sign for the other.

I cannot find a decent LFS in my area. In the past, I have purchased Goldfish from Pets*mart, but eventually (sometimes days, other times months later) disease pops up and rarely, no matter how hard I try they do not survive it. Finally, I thought i had found a decent LFS as my Neon Tetras i got from them are super healthy and live through anything. So I took a chance a week ago and bought 2 fantail goldfish for my 29gallon. 3 days later I came home from school (7hours later) and both of my fish had ICH. One died immediately and the other is doing good, so far. So I suspect they came home with ICH, rather than an error on my part. The LFS has like a 3 day return policy on fish (what a joke), so not only did they get sick asap, I paid more and couldn't get my money back because when my Goldfish died, the store was closed for the night!

Today, i was buying carbon at Pet*smart to later remove the ICH meds from my tank, and I overheard the employee helping a woman find the healthiest fish in the tank of Black Moors, telling her what signs to look for in a healthy fish and what to avoid. Out of curiousity, i looked at their fish and theyre all bright eyed, energetic. He helped restore my faith in my local pets*mart.

Oh I know! I used to think my LFS was sooo great. That was until my lfs guy suggested malachite green for a dropsy fish. I ran. Fast. Lol

Wow that is really cool!

Great to hear of a chain store providing proper care for their fishes and free plants don't hurt anything either.. ;) My local walmart shouldn't be allowed to sell fish. I actually felt really bad for a fish I saw in their once. It was the only live one swimming in a cluster of it's deceased brethern. The fish was fine for two weeks then it got a mystery illness which wiped out all my other aquarium inhabitants. It was after that incident that I learned the importance of quarantine. :no:

I think the chains here are decent. The Petsmarts feed their goldfish peas and blood worms in addition to pellets. The Petco has large hand-written messages on all the goldfish tanks, explaining that they will grow and can live a long time and that they shouldn't be in bowls. :heart

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I think the chains here are decent. The Petsmarts feed their goldfish peas and blood worms in addition to pellets. The Petco has large hand-written messages on all the goldfish tanks, explaining that they will grow and can live a long time and that they shouldn't be in bowls. :heart

One of the Petcos I go to (Not the terrible one in my city but the nice one by my husband's work) has those messages on the goldfish tanks too! Last time I went I was visiting the fish section and that made me really happy. Their fish looked nice and healthy too. :)

The wall***** I got Yin and Yang at use to be realy good. The same lady was over the dept. for years. recently she moved to a diff dept and things have really gone down hill. The new guy does not know much and the fish have ich and a lot more dead fish. So Sad to see.

A guy that worked for Petco actually pulled out his phone and showed me videos of his (stunning) goldies! It made my day to know that someone like him was working there :) also that he made several tanks into male betta community tanks! Yay!!

My Petsmart is really hit and miss. They have some good people and their stock is usually in pretty good shape. The few times I have seen bad stock, I wondered if they got a bad shipment. The people at my LFS are great. They helped me out when Fitz got sick, before I came here. Their guesses at disease and treatment were pretty close and mirrored Alex's initial diagnosis. When I got Hoover, the lady looked at me and said, "You do have at least a 20 gallon tank for him, right?" I laughed and we talked for a while about tanks and various fish. She was the same one that let my buddy's little girl pet all the guinea pigs.

My petsmart has one really nice woman that works there a lot. I was buying salt for the tank (before I knew of morton's) and she gave me a whole list of stuff that it can be used for. And even said not to buy ich medicine even though it is a more expensive product. I was once also buying a pictus catfish and she explained how she was using the dip and pour to catch it because its barbells can get stuck in the net.

A couple weeks later I went to buy two more and there was a guy working there. I tried to tell him the same thing about not using the next but he didnt understand. He got 3 of them caught in the next and had to cut my two out of it. I don't know what happened to the third one but he was brought to the back.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Edited by ashlee18

Great to hear of a chain store providing proper care for their fishes and free plants don't hurt anything either.. ;) My local walmart shouldn't be allowed to sell fish. I actually felt really bad for a fish I saw in their once. It was the only live one swimming in a cluster of it's deceased brethern. The fish was fine for two weeks then it got a mystery illness which wiped out all my other aquarium inhabitants. It was after that incident that I learned the importance of quarantine. :no:

My walmart is the same way... I've called corporate a couple of times and fussed that 'I couldn't buy a fish'. They usually pick up the care for a few weeks if you keep on them about it :). Just make it sound like you wanted to buy some

My petsmart has one really nice woman that works there a lot. I was buying salt for the tank (before I knew of morton's) and she gave me a whole list of stuff that it can be used for. And even said not to buy ich medicine even though it is a more expensive product. I was once also buying a pictus catfish and she explained how she was using the dip and pour to catch it because its barbells can get stuck in the net.

A couple weeks later I went to buy two more and there was a guy working there. I tried to tell him the same thing about not using the next but he didnt understand. He got 3 of them caught in the next and had to cut my two out of it. I don't know what happened to the third one but he was brought to the back.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I hate that! People can be so insensitive :(