• * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.6
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? eheim 2217
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? api tap water conditioner, florish excel
  • * Water temperature? 18c
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 5-7 days 80%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? three days ago
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 nearly two month
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 between 3"-4"
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy, sinking pellets, veg, algae wafers
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) flukes, superficial damage from chasing
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? white fluffy looking stuff sticking out from the top of eye
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. sterazin and fluke solve a few months ago. salt at time of treatment to 0.1
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. to follow shortly

Mingus has something white and fluffy looking sticking out of her eye :( a few months ago she got caught in my syphon and it has always stuck out a little since then but she seemed fine. i have done my best to keep the water clean during their transfer to a new uncycled tank but i think it may be an infection. Thanks in advance for looking

I have a guard for the siphon now by the way

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Is she an oranda? (looks to be) It is difficult for me to see it really clearly in the video, but it actually looks like wen growth to me.

Did it just show up?

Yes she is an Oranda. I'll try and get a pic.

2013-01-26172617_zps3b3d2fd6.jpg it just appeared yesterday and it is sticking out between the eye socket and eye

It is still looking like wen growth around the eye area to me. I will have the other mods stop by and just take a look too though :)

For now, I would just keep a close eye on it, if there are any changes (gets larger, redness etc) let us know. Extra water changes are always good when there is something potentially funky going on in the tank, and you could add .1% salt if you like as well :)

It appears to be getting longer. There are thread like pieces coming away.

It appears to be getting longer. There are thread like pieces coming away.

Yeah, this is pretty typical of areas of wen growth. They are actually thought to be small areas of infection, but typically will get stringy, fall off, and go away on their own. I asked the other mods to just take a look in case it is something to be concerned about :)

Coo ^_^. Thanks tithra. I will sleep a bit better now. Its horrible when you don't know what is wrong. I loves my Mingus!

Coo ^_^. Thanks tithra. I will sleep a bit better now. Its horrible when you don't know what is wrong. I loves my Mingus!

I know the feeling. I don't think you need to worry at this point though, particularly since he is still acting normally otherwise :)

Ok i'm getting a bit concerned now. Her eye is getting worse. I can see some swelling around the eye and little redness. The white stuff sticking out can be seen under the skin above her eye. I have been doing extra water changes and i just salted to 0.1 i didn't do it before because of my snails.

Have also seen some bottom sitting

Edited by orandafan1981

Bex, I'd like for you to give a her daily salt dip.

Start with a 2% solution for the first day, and then increase to 0.3% for the two days after that.

You may need to do more, but let's see how she does with that first.

I would rather not have to go with one of the products that are available in the UK, because many of those tend to be cycle killers.

Cool, i purchased some extra salt today just in case. ;)

Should i keep the tank at 0.1?

Thank you

Edited by orandafan1981

You can, but it's not really necessary.

In general, 0.1% salt is for very mild things, and mainly more of a tonic dose. :)

We are definitely winning. The swelling has gone down and most of the white stuff has gone. Its amazing what a little salt can do! I was so worried she would lose her eye.

Do i continue with the salt baths until it has totally cleared?

Yes, let's continue the dips for a few more days at least! :)

I'm so glad for the good news!

Sweet ;) will do

Thanks again

Edited by orandafan1981