My plants came today!

cmclien

My stem plants from Planted Aquariums Central came today. Really nicely packaged, all already had weights on them, in an airtight/watertight baggy wrapped in newspaper and the baggie was wrapped up in insulation which was good because they came here to Wisc from Arizona and they high here today was only about 25, the warmest day of the week! I let them come to room temperature before I unbagged them. I only ordered stem feeding plants that can sit on top of the substrate.

Here they are before their bleach dip. They came in really nice shape. She sent me an extra ludwigia which I thought was nice :)

IMG_0255.jpg

Tank BEFORE:

IMG_0256.jpg

Tank AFTER:

IMG_0270.jpg

Close ups, I will try and name them: Colorful plants with the purple are roseafolia, The feathery one to the left I don't recognize on my order yet but I think its narrow leaf anacharis. To the right, another roseafolia and also a nice looking wisteria and the one in the front of those two is a rotala. The others in this photo are the java fern and anubias I already had.

IMG_0273.jpg

Same plants, top view:

IMG_0272.jpg

In this photo I have ludwigia, the brown/lavendar leaves, I have another one on the other side of the tank too.

IMG_0266.jpg

And lastly, some Penneywort:

IMG_0268.jpg

We'll see what they eat!!!! Hopefully the whole tank won't be a giant salad to them.

Edited by CindiL

BEAUTIFUL plants! Yep, that one is anacharis, in the left rear. It will get really tall.

The tank & fish look gorgeous, too. Drooling, here. Very nice! :D

I'm new to the whole plant thing so I have to match them up to the photos lol

I have a new light so am hoping they all grow well.

I'm so jealous! I'm getting up enough nerve to try plants again. Where did you order these? They look so healthy and green!

When I got mine, they looked dead right out of the box. :(

Planted Aquariums Central, here is a link: http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/Bunched-plants_c14.htm

Good luck with the plants! I think they're excellent choices and this is a very interesting fish vs. plants experiment.

I hope in this case the plants win! :lol1

Very nice! Please let us know how your goldfish do with them.

I will, didn't you get a bunch recently too?

Lovely :3

Wow they look awesome :D

Looks so great! :D I love the plants :)

WOW I really like them :thumb:

Thanks everyone! Pulled out all my ornaments except for the rock formation and it was looking pretty sad in there.

Very nice, Cindi! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I'm eager to read updates!!

Thanks Shawn! You are one of the people here who inspired me to try plants, we will see how it goes. :P

I'm hoping they thrive and aren't used as a meal. Tonight I fed the fish green beans and peas to satisfy their green cravings, if fish have cravings lol

The plants look great. I like that feathery anachris.

Hope they do well.

Mj

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone, this morning I don't see any casualties so that may be a good sign,

It looks really good, Cindi! Now comes the fun part...keeping them alive. :)

So on this part I have Flourish, I have Flourish Excel but I don't think I want to add it yet as I'm almost ready to do a big switch over on water from RO to filtered tap and don't want to add too many variables at once. I have a new light too which gives me about 40?? forgot that term you used, but enough to grow up to moderate light plants.

Anything else you can suggest?

Wow, they are very beautiful! I love the ludwigia!

Thanks. I think with enough light the leaves will go much more purple then tan so we'll see how they change :)

Edited by CindiL

OK just a suggestion. Take it or leave it. But in my experience if you don't separate stem plants they lose the leaves on the bottom cause they can't get enough light..

Also those "weights" well cause rot on the bottom and they well float and have to be trimmed and put them back in the gravel.

Looks like your on your way to having a heavily planted tank. When you can start trimming and replanting that is when you well get there. lol

Good luck

OK just a suggestion. Take it or leave it. But in my experience if you don't separate stem plants they lose the leaves on the bottom cause they can't get enough light..

Also those "weights" well cause rot on the bottom and they well float and have to be trimmed and put them back in the gravel.

Looks like your on your way to having a heavily planted tank. When you can start trimming and replanting that is when you well get there. lol

Good luck

Thanks and I appreciate your advice as your tanks are beautiful! I hear what you are saying but I don't really want a deeper substrate and I don't want to plant into YET and mine is not deep enough so I need those weights on. I want to see how this works first as I like to move the plants out of the way when I siphon the gravel and I like to re-arrange things alot.

This is my experimental group of plants I suppose and we'll see how they all do. I'll update in a few weeks.

Yep. You definitely convinced me. I'm getting some from them next payday!I just hope my babies don't turn them into salad!

I have noticed in the last few hours that its really only Bing so far picking at them and mostly the wisteria. I had some floating about 2 months ago and he kinda destroyed it. I don't mind having something in there for him to eat as long as he doesn't eat them all :)