Repost Of Gone Thread

Lydia

To anyone who has been keeping track with my problems.

I posted before saying we had Fin Rot Comeback.

This time it was different, no slimey bit turning into fin rot.

I treated with Anti FinRot/Fungus nothing changed.

Then I started treating with Melafix which I ordered from online, thinking that could possibly cure it, but isn't helping at all!!!

What would cause my Black Moors dorsal fin to look like a saw as well as its tail looking like a saw and with the very end bit torn (for a day one of his pectoral fins were torn but quickly glued themselves together!). could it be that his fins are growing and thats why they are going through this period of looking like this?

My water parametres are fine 0 0 20, water was always on the hard side , the black moor never minded this so I dont see why suddenly it would have a problem with it.

Only unusual thing is the algae growing in the tank and the driftwood smelling like their poop... with algae growing on it, but would it cause this???

Any clues would be useful.

QUOTE (emmahj @ Mar 16 2004, 05:28 AM)

Are you sure your pH is actually stable or is it fluctuating between high and low? Test it at different times of the day and periodically over the course of a few days to see if it changes. How high is high by the way?

thanks emma!

ok here is my best bet at the ph...

I used the strips. so basically what I always observed was that it was like 7.2-7.6 BUT then the strips kept getting darker and darker as they dried out and ended with 8.4 so it could be any of that!!!! really annoying if you ask me to distinguish between the colours.

one thing for sure was that GH and KH were always sky high with 16od and 15-20od even though in the end it even got a purple in it and this test is supposed to be only green shades!!!!!

NO2 were always 0 thankfully so it wasn't hard and No3 again with time passing it kept getting darker and darker so I dont know but it would really be something between 10-25 within the 1 minute they say would be the correct time to look.

I've read everyones, thanks for the wonderful tips.....

what I will now be doing is taking out the driftwood (already took out one ornament.. then let the tank be for a day or so before doing anything with salt. I will see whether this will help the fish!

i'm thinking the driftwood must still be discolouring the water grrrrr

when you say

high organic overload

what do you actually mean???

Its very puzzling that this is happening right now when these fish have been in a 5 gallon tank!! so it must be something as silly as driftwood...

when I took ornament out it had this fishie yucky smell!!!!!!

I really want to get a fish like a pleco, but don't know which one is safe to use with goldfish. i keep reading things on how they attack goldfish and I don't want this to happen with mine....

is pleco a loach? or is it one that sticks its face on the glass?

Hi, Lydia. Here was my response to your previous thread.

===

Are the fins actually split and red/white, or are they just ragged? Have you checked the pH, just to be sure it's stable?

The driftwood could be causing problems, especially if it's reeking terribly. I don't think it happens often enough to rule out the use of driftwood altogether, but sometimes having driftwood in the tank does seem to be problematic. Try removing it. You have nothing to lose, right?

It's not normal for your fish's fins to look how they do. Something is up, and with the stinky wood and the addition of Melafix, the organic load in your tank might be a problem. Stop the melafix if you haven't already, take out the driftwood (or at least clean it) and try upping your water changes to get the water nice and clean.

Good luck. :)

===

Lydia said:

what I always observed was that it was like 7.2-7.6 BUT then the strips kept getting darker and darker as they dried out and ended with 8.4 so it could be any of that!!!!

Read the color of the test strips instantly. Disregard any color changes as significant amounts of time pass since coming into contact with the water or as the strips dry out.

When I said high organics might be a problem, I meant there may be too many organics in your tank, giving the bacteria a feast and allowing it to multiply to the extent it becomes problematic for the fish.

Plecos suck on the glass. I'd hold off on the bottom feeder for now, at least until your fish is well. You don't need anything else in there contributing to the waste in the tank. Most bottom feeders get to be a good size (5" or better), so be sure you have adequate tank space before getting any of them. My favorites are otos. They're so darn cute and they only grow to be 1-2 inches. Some people get nervous that their goldies might eat them. They're faster swimmers than those fat little goldies ever could be, and I've kept them together for years without problems on either end. If you want something larger and more pleco-like, a rubbernose or bristlenose plec would do well, just make sure you have the tank space. Quarantine any new arrivals, to be sure they're disease-free and well fed before you add them to your main tank.

Good luck with your fish. :)

thanks so much for responding.

Like you said I don't want to risk more problems right now!

what I have done is taken out everything except gravel and plants.. the plants are growing roots so I'm happy they're not dying!!!!

the blackmoor doesn't seem to be getting worse *fingers crossed* it doesn't act as if anything is wrong so I'm really hoping this is something that will improve as the quality increases.

I have a dilemma right now.

My filter appears to create such a strong current once placed to view the long side of the tank so I moved it to the side.. I am attaching picture on how its positioned.. I notice there's very small particles floating in the water and I'm wondering whether its the filter's problem..

it could also be from the pellets that I'm feeding them, its really hard to try and find something to feed them that does them good *sigh*

do you think this could be causing problems? I dont see any other option with the filter unless I want to literally kill the goldfish from the constant struggle to try and get an inch away from the corner they're pushed at from the current.

post-10-1079564770.gif

Are the fins actually split and red/white, or are they just ragged? Have you checked the pH, just to be sure it's stable?

the tail is ragged, the same with the fins.. it has a saw edge look to it..

I can't know if its red but definately not white since this is a black moor and its well pretty dark! hehe

the tip of the tail is torn but hasn't progressed from it (I had fin rot before and it was a completely different story)

Archived