Sign in to follow this  
IvoryValentine01

Faulty Fry...Help, Please.

So, my fry are a week old now & yesterday I spotted this one (but then I couldn't find it again til this morning)...same size & development as the others, eats, moves about...but seems to have a spine curved the wrong way, is for the most part, upside down altho occasionally spins in circles...what should I do with it? I'm thinkin' at the very least I should take it out of the tank...but then what?

UpsideDownFry01_zpse830e43d.jpg

UpsideDownFry02_zps2bb5d4db.jpg

In my opinion you need to cull it. It's development is pretty much moot if it is that deformed.

I figured as much. What should I do with it tho?

Do you have access to clove oil? It's the best way to humanely euthanize fish.

Before you cull it, take some time to watch the babies and see if any more have issues getting around or don't look healthy.

I don't have any here but I can go out and get some. Is there a clove oil to water ratio then...since I'm assuming it goes into the water?

Any instructions you need will be found in the D&D section under "Euthanizing." :)

thank you. I pretty much knew this was gonna be the end of the line for it...just didn't know how to go about it.

You're welcome. It's quite an emotionally dfficult thing to do. I wish you all the luck in the world. :hug

Edited by ChelseaM