Sign in to follow this  
Duskeva

QT fish with new black spots

I feel like I've been posting a lot lately. Anyways, my new surprise fish has been in qt for about a week now. It has developed a few black spots that I am unsure of.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No filter, Bubbler only
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime double dose
  • * Water temperature? Average room
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% every 2 days

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 100%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? rougly 10 gallons running 1 week
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish about 4 inches
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? every day Omega One
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, this one
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi Double Dose, salt .3%
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Black dots
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi added about about 4 days ago Double Dose
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Black spots are only ontop of the back fin and one on the gill plate. The black around the base of his tail was there when I purchased him.

Pictures: 88637E5C-28C7-4AB1-B5E2-FFCEA5AE7EC7-853-000000A63E53F171.jpg

D5296A3C-4AE1-40FB-8EC5-9E1280FBC8BB-853-000000A6486ACE62.jpg

Black spots are typically chemical or ammonia burns, I would just monitor him and ensure that they heal without issues.

The one on the gill plate looks sunken in and the ones on the tail are raised and bumpy. I thought burns too but it just seemed like an odd presentation. If hes been in super clean water for a week, wouldn't they have shown up earlier?

The one on the gill plate looks sunken in and the ones on the tail are raised and bumpy. I thought burns too but it just seemed like an odd presentation. If hes been in super clean water for a week, wouldn't they have shown up earlier?

It's because he's been in super clean water all week that it's healing and showing up. Remember that the black is actually a protective response that occurs AFTER the injury had been done. In this case, from where the fish originated. :(

Aw, thank you Alex. I understand now. Im glad its nothing major and he'll be okay

i wouldn't be surprised if it's natural colouring too :) either way, as explained, for ammonia burns to be showing as black, we're on the correct path to recovery just the same :)