95g Black & White Ranchu Tank

SumoKoi

Here is what the 95g corner tank looks like now.

The endlers are going outside in a few weeks to the pond when things warm up. The other fish have been transferred to the 135g.

(8) Black ranchus 1"

(2) Moors 1"

(1) Chocolate pearlscale 1"

(1) White ranchu 1"

(1) Red & White "Grade A" ranchu 2.5"

(1) Black Oranda 4" --I am keeping this one under close observation as it looks to be suffering from swim bladder disease. I am keeping the temperature @ 82F and it seems to alleviate the problem.

Edited by SumoKoi

82 is pretty high for the rest of your fish though... I would separate that guy from the rest due to temp requirements or in case the others decide to pick on him..

Most keep their tanks between 65 - 75.

That said, your fish are really pretty. Keep up on those water changes as you're still pretty heavily overstocked there :)

82 is pretty high for the rest of your fish though... I would separate that guy from the rest due to temp requirements or in case the others decide to pick on him..

Most keep their tanks between 65 - 75.

That said, your fish are really pretty. Keep up on those water changes as you're still pretty heavily overstocked there :)

I originally had the tank at 68 but the fish were not as active and the swim bladder on the black oranda was causing it to swim erratically and even resting behind the filter outlet. I'm experimenting w/ the warmer temp for the other fish to keep their metabolism high so I can feed a lot and maximize their growth. The air wand running full blast should offset any oxygen depletion from the warmer water. There will be a higher bio load later down the line but it should be fine for now since they are small, although I don't exactly how long, since I am not familiar with fancy goldfish growth rates. Between the tank being filtered by an FX5, UV sterilizer and water changes, it should be fine for awhile.

A higher metabolism also means earlier death and warmer waters will promote the fast spread of most diseases that may effect your goldfish down the line due to your heavily overstocked tank. I don't think that it will speed up growth much. I don't heat my tanks at all and my fish grow like crazy. They will grow fast on their own.

If you want big fish fast, the best way to get it is several feedings a day, clean water, and adequate space, not a high temperature.

Fancy goldfish grow extremely fast if given proper space and food. If you look at the pinned before and after section of the photos section you'll see what I mean :) Cheers.

Edited by GreenTea

OMG!!! I WANT THAT BLACK ORANDA! THE ORANDA! ORANDA!!!!

Have you tried temp at 76? Mine is set at 76-78, so try that. Also, how are you feeding them? I have a mini cup that I scoop up the water, dump food in, swirl the cup then pour into the tank to encourage bottom feeding. Try it and see if that helps. Also veggies, Repashy, etc.

A higher metabolism also means earlier death and warmer waters will promote the fast spread of most diseases that may effect your goldfish down the line due to your heavily overstocked tank. I don't think that it will speed up growth much. I don't heat my tanks at all and my fish grow like crazy. They will grow fast on their own.

If you want big fish fast, the best way to get it is several feedings a day, clean water, and adequate space, not a high temperature.

Fancy goldfish grow extremely fast if given proper space and food. If you look at the pinned before and after section of the photos section you'll see what I mean :) Cheers.

My experience with tropical fish may be unnecessarily influencing the temp and I'll probably reduce to 75-78f. Hopefully the black oranda's swim bladder will be ok. These fish are just coming out of quarantine where I had to treat the whole tank as one or two of them came with signs of ich, thus the 82f plus salt treatment. I thought I'd leave it at that temp to power feed the little 1" fish to get them up to a decent size in a shorter amount of time. With regards to your comments on being overstocked, let clarify that it is my methodology to stock up more with the intention of culling the ones that develop unforeseen problems (swim bladder/etc) down the line. Disease developing or spreading from overstocking is a non issue as I keep my water pristine and over-filtered.

I checked out the the before and after section and these fish seem to get decent growth under a year. Pretty cool. Can't wait to see these guys get that big.

Thanks for your input!

OMG!!! I WANT THAT BLACK ORANDA! THE ORANDA! ORANDA!!!!

Have you tried temp at 76? Mine is set at 76-78, so try that. Also, how are you feeding them? I have a mini cup that I scoop up the water, dump food in, swirl the cup then pour into the tank to encourage bottom feeding. Try it and see if that helps. Also veggies, Repashy, etc.

After some observation, I have decided to drop the temp to 75-78f. I am feeding them a large variety; Hikari Lionhead, New Life Spectrum, TetraColor Crisps, Tetra Granules, TetraMin Flake and Hikari Frozen blood worms. Like you, I soak them in a cup a minute or so before pouring them in.

That's good. I hate the "culling" part. Its just so sad. Its like when humans play God to pick and choose who get to live and die. Its heart breaking. Happens everywhere in the fish industry. Surprising that I wasn't "culled" at birth and yet all the fish suffer such fate.