Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

Hikari Oranda Gold pellets?

Has anyone had success stories using this food to assist in wen growth?

My all white oranda girl, Lily, is about 2.5 inches long, and pretty much wenless, as of now. This isn't a problem, I love her all the same, and think she is gorgeous with or without a wen. Last week, however, I did notice that she is starting to get a little bit of a thicker patch on the top of her head, and it it getting little brainy, squiggle marks in it. Her wen may be arriving!

I understand that a lot of wen growth has to do with genetics, and etc, but I was wondering if anyone has actually used this food, and had it help noticeably? Would it also help everyone else with fin growth, as I am assuming that they are related? Is there anything else anyone can recommend instead of, or additionally?

They already eat soilent green regularly, with additions of veggies and greens frequently.

Thanks, guys! :heart :heart :heart

I've seen a difference on my orandas it took about a month to get noticeable results but I defiantly see a noticable difference.

I've seen a difference on my orandas it took about a month to get noticeable results but I defiantly see a noticable difference.

What sort of difference? Do you have photos? :) I too am hoping to boost wen growth in my fish and was considering this and bloodworms to increase wen.

Blood worms.

Nothing beats blood worms for wen growth and hump growth, so the breeders say.

I am glad to share this review with you as I've had a superb experience with this brand of fish food. I am also a member of another forum and the Oriental people also use this fish food to a great extent and they've had a wonderful experience too.

I am feeding Hikari Oranda Gold (Thrice daily) and Tetrafin Gold Series (Once daily) food since 2010. Growth rate with this food is excellent. What's more striking is the deepening of red colour, and believe it or not, Puff and Jonathan (who are red cap Orandas) have showed beautiful red patches on their bodies. (If you'd like, I'll share their photos :) ). I can't say much about immune system boost, though.

This food is so much is demand in our province, and the supply is so low that prices have soared up from 175 INR per 200gm in 2010 to 320 INR per 220gm in 2013. Still, we crave for it and hurry to the market every month to bag a last pouch of Oranda Gold.

Go for it! :D

There are so many Hikari options and I would like to know which to get. I'm not sure what Petsmart has available, but Koko encourages us to order from Tasty Worms, so I've looked on there and found many options. One option I see repeated on here is "the purple bag" so I am going to get that, bloodworms and would like to know what else to get since I'm limited on how much to spend each month.

There are so many Hikari options and I would like to know which to get. I'm not sure what Petsmart has available, but Koko encourages us to order from Tasty Worms, so I've looked on there and found many options. One option I see repeated on here is "the purple bag" so I am going to get that, bloodworms and would like to know what else to get since I'm limited on how much to spend each month.

Jesse, keep in mind that there is a shelf life to all of these foods, so you don't want to get them all at once and then have them expire on you half a year down the road.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. You already have Repashy. Great. Since you aren't feeding that regularly, that's fine. Get another pellet food.

2. For that, pick Pro-Gold from goldfishconnection.com, or the Hikari purple bag. Either will be great, although your fish may not do well on one or the other. Try one first, and then try the other next.

3. Frozen blood worms as treats.

4. Other veggies as treats.

Makes sense? :)

(Sorry for the temporary hi-jacking of the thread. Please resume.)

I'm now feeding Repashy daily in the evening. Someone has an offer for ProGold, so I'm waiting to know what that person want to do.

I have heard great thing about Pro-gold and love that it is made in the USA, however I found that my fish do better on the purple bag of hikari food. I have also heard the opposite to be true for others. I like Dnalex's plan :)

I am using Oranda Gold, and I'm pretty happy with it so far. :)

I definitely agree with Alex about those bloodworms! EVERY time I feed them, Clementine develops new, very visible growth on her wen. If it weren't for that growth I don't know if I would be feeding them those as often... I find they have a slight irony smell when they're thawed.

Bilbo had absolutely no wen. I started feeding them all bloodworms a few times a week about 6 weeks ago and the other day my husband said hey I think her wen is growing! I think their colors are brighter too though that could be from the saki hikari purple bag as I started feeding it around then too. I was so surprised that he noticed so it must be true as its hard to tell when you look at them so much. I also have progold in addition to the saki hikari purple bag. Of the two mine seem to do a little better on the hikari but like others have said what works for one may not work for the other.

Ok! Thank you so much; all of you! I will definitely pick up some frozen blood worms my next trip out to Petsmart (hopefully this weekend).

Another question!

With the Hikari foods, they have a lionhead formula, and an oranda formula. Are these essentially the same food, but the oranda floats, and the lionhead sinks? If that is the case, I will probably go with lionhead, as I do prefer a sinking food, since I have so many very round bellied fish.

I definitely want one to try of them labeled to help with oranda and lionhead development, though- I have 3 of each of those varieties, and the non-wenned fish certainly won't be hurt by eating it.

Thanks so much, everyone! :D

With the Hikari foods, they have a lionhead formula, and an oranda formula. Are these essentially the same food, but the oranda floats, and the lionhead sinks? If that is the case, I will probably go with lionhead, as I do prefer a sinking food, since I have so many very round bellied fish.

Yep, from memory Oranda Gold and Lionhead are the same food; however, the Lionhead forumla is a sinking pellet. When I was feeding Lionhead in the past, I saw noticeable wen improvement. I also ended up with a fair bit of yellowing in my fish -- I don't know if others have experienced this or not, but it didn't really bother me too much. :)

Yep, from memory Oranda Gold and Lionhead are the same food; however, the Lionhead forumla is a sinking pellet. When I was feeding Lionhead in the past, I saw noticeable wen improvement. I also ended up with a fair bit of yellowing in my fish -- I don't know if others have experienced this or not, but it didn't really bother me too much. :)

Thank you for clearing that up! I would definitely prefer sinking, for my fat bellied fish. I will give it a try!

I don't mind if they go a little lemon head. Lily has always been pure white, with no yellow tint and silver/blue eyes, but my white fantail, Harry, goes back and forth between very lemon head in appearance to just a little bit. He also has orange on the top halves of his eyes, so I think he carries a little more of the orange gene. I think they're lovely either way.

Thanks, Dan- I am looking forward to seeing what this food does for my fish. Hopefully it will help to encourage fin growth, as well, since all but 1 are a year or under. :D

Seem like your going in the right direction food wise, now its all about the water :)

Thanks. :D

Thank you for clearing that up! I would definitely prefer sinking, for my fat bellied fish. I will give it a try!

I don't mind if they go a little lemon head. Lily has always been pure white, with no yellow tint and silver/blue eyes, but my white fantail, Harry, goes back and forth between very lemon head in appearance to just a little bit. He also has orange on the top halves of his eyes, so I think he carries a little more of the orange gene. I think they're lovely either way.

Thanks, Dan- I am looking forward to seeing what this food does for my fish. Hopefully it will help to encourage fin growth, as well, since all but 1 are a year or under. :D

Hey Jamie. I am not loving pro gold for my wenned fish so I'm trying something different, inspired by this thread. I got a big bag of hikari lion head and bloodworms today.

I am going to use a 10 gallon tub as my feeding tank so I can vary amounts for different fish. For my wenned fish I will feed strictly lionhead and bloodworms for two meals and repashy at night. I'll feed each one individually 3x a day and record my results. I'm going to start a blog so I can have all the info in one spot.

I am also hoping this will keep my water cleaner overall.

Edited by GreenTea

Hey Jamie. I am not loving pro gold for my wenned fish so I'm trying something different, inspired by this thread. I got a big bag of hikari lion head and bloodworms today.

I am going to use a 10 gallon tub as my feeding tank so I can vary amounts for different fish. For my wenned fish I will feed strictly lionhead and bloodworms for two meals and repashy at night. I'll feed each one individually 3x a day and record my results. I'm going to start a blog so I can have all the info in one spot.

I am also hoping this will keep my water cleaner overall.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the blog! Thanks. :D