Will A Goldfish Die If They Swallow A Rock?

Guest aliandpie

Guest aliandpie

I just got a huge oranda saturday. Sunday she was eating and sucked a rock in her mouth. My gravel is rather large..the normal sized fish in the tank can not get it into their mouths. I saw her choking..so to speak and I could see one in her mouth. Then she stopped..I did not see her spit it out..but I did take my eyes off her for a min. Since then she has layed on the bottom and only gets up to eat. I have not noticed any poop....can anything be done??? :cry1

Are you brave enough to hold her in your hands? If you can, do so, and gently guide her to the water surface. There you just lift her head out of the water, she will automatically open her mouth, and you can have a fast look inside.....

Hope there isn't anything in it!.... :)

Guest aliandpie

Well..when she was on the bottom she would yawn sometimes and I dont see the rock..and no, I am not brave enough to hold that monster. :D

Do fish go through depression? Today she is swimming everywhere. Could she miss her big monster friends? I still have not seen any poo though.

My poor snails...her favorite thing to do now is to bash into them and make them fall off the tank wall. <_<

It sounds as though she probably spat the rock out when you weren't looking. I find that I don't see some of my fish poop. Others have rather long poops which are noticeable, but others must have tiny short, quick pieces lol.

As long as she is active and eating now, I would think that she may have been going through a period of adjustment.

Good luck with her :D

It sounds like she is probably fine. If she did swallow the rock, there isn't much you can do about it now, so don't worry - what can make it in can make it out. I once switched over a large acrylic tank to barebottom, and for the first few days after I removed all the gravel, small pieces of gravel started appearing. One of my fish (the most aggressive eater and, at with an 8" body, the largest in the tank) was expelling them.

Archived