• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? quietflow 30
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, neutral regulator
  • * Water temperature? 78
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? new water, qt procedure

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gals, new qt
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 0
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? this one
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazipro and salt
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) new fish
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? bloody streaks, ich like markings.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not eating, people shy
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • PraziPro and salt 1%

Hi everyone,

I've been away for what seems way to long :( Been busy at home, work and with new projects (aka discus fish lol)....

Anyways I'm writing today on D&D because my husband tried to cheer me up the other and got me a surprise fish... I almost had a heart attack when I came in after work yesterday and saw a beautiful huge oranda in my main tank... NO QT whatsoever, he just wanted to surprise me (he never listens to me when I'm going on about my fish nor the importance of QT). She'd been in my tank for 8 hours with the others and upon close examination she had some small white spots which he swears were not on her when he bought her, so assuming he's correct they appeared after being introduced in my healthy main tank. Spots on her wen may be wen growth? And the ones on her tail might be that her tail got sucked on the filter (Goldy used to get them all the time) - but I'm very nervous and anxious... She also has bloody streaks on her fins (maybe high ammonia from shipping? petshop told my hubby she'd just gotten in form US night before) and is a bit shy.

I immediately set up my hospital tank and added salt to 1% and PraziPro because she looked to be yawning a lot... I tried feeding her last night and she wouldn't eat, tried all day today and nothing... Tried NLS pellets, Repashi soilent green, progold, krill, bloodworms, flakes EVERYTHING I had and to no avail, she just doesn't feel like eating apparently. I noticed she has a big wen and has a growth on her nostrils that resembles that of the pom-pons to some extent, it tends to get into her mouth and she constantly chews on it. Should I/ Can I trim it?

I was thinking of adding salt to 3% and continue monitoring her and see if more ich like lesions develop. Also I'm scared that something might be in my main tank now... I did 2 back to back 80% wc after taking the big girl out but I'm freaked my babies might've caught something. Should I do anything to my main tank?

Any suggestions? I really appreciate all of your help, I'm kind of desperate here...

Here are some pics and a video of my huge sick baby...

th_0292CA64-9B0B-49C0-8AA4-DDD2F05A3E00-8186-00000423B6397E28.jpg

1DE6A41A-1881-408A-8840-2703DD54C1A6-8186-00000423EC7CDA0B.jpg

65680685-01EF-44C1-9CA5-A7ACB4BA0D29-8186-0000042F31F16496.jpg

E3522E5B-5156-437E-A677-CA85C175D1A7-8186-0000042F33FB50BA.jpg

67B4D2E9-987C-44F7-B700-6E023AD8F17A-8186-0000042F2E30F743.jpg

4A55E191-0547-409A-B0B9-1C54C4C6947A-8186-0000042F2F7B0B56.jpg

Edited by KrystalPR

Hi Krystal! It's been a long time! I hope all is well! :)

It doesn't seem like ich in the pic, and you do have a pom pom oranda! :D

I would definitely go with salt at 0.3% during QT for at least 2 weeks, and during that time to add Prazi to the tank at double dose. Also, because he was temporarily in the main tank, go ahead and salt the main to 0.3%, and add 1 double dose of Prazi as well. :)

Hi Krystal! It's been a long time! I hope all is well! :)

It doesn't seem like ich in the pic, and you do have a pom pom oranda! :D

I would definitely go with salt at 0.3% during QT for at least 2 weeks, and during that time to add Prazi to the tank at double dose. Also, because he was temporarily in the main tank, go ahead and salt the main to 0.3%, and add 1 double dose of Prazi as well. :)

Hi Alex!

Nice to hear from you again :) All is good, did have a couple of mishaps like the sudden death of Einstein my redcap a couple of weeks back :( - think that's why my hubby called the lfs and ordered me this big baby... I said I had the tank at 1%, I meant 0.1% lol Also, I wanted to ask you about her pom pom, she just keeps on chewing on it.. Anything I can do? Any ideas on getting her to eat?

As always, Thanks so much for all your help! :)

As Anaru said, let her de-stress first :)

It's good to see you again. :)

I'm sorry about Einstein. :(

The tail looks like "knot" rather than spot. Gurtis have one, too. I don't know the term and cause for it. Hopefully someone chimes in.

Thanks everyone! She's a sweet goldy alright... Still very shy, won't eat until I'm gone :(. Anyways she's doing great other than that - does bottom for long periods of time though... She does swim around when I turn her light on or I walk by.

Right now I'm freaking out because of something else... Goldy who's in my maintank has ich... The bad part is that my main tank is salted to 0.3%!must be that super ich :( So frustrated right noe! He has like 10-12 white small fluffy spots on his tail. Tried to take pics but he didn't want to cooperate much... None of my other fish are affected so far.

F0F1B5BB-A8D1-4DD3-B621-94D0FCD59447-4954-000002198CC7B660.jpg

E5C3EA75-7D2F-4E33-820B-E00EE45434C8-4954-00000219EC8434AA.jpg

Goldy's tail on the left

27C13758-60D5-421A-AE76-FA6E81773978-4954-000002197E677C60.jpg

Please help... Should I start a new thread for this??? :(

Hi Krystal,

I am not quite convinced yet that those spots are ich. While there certainly can be salt resistant ich, I just don't think it's really very common.

Would you be willing to just play it by ear for a few days, to see how things progress? Because there is a possibility that this is salt-resistant ich, start looking for something like Quick Cure, or any product that contains formalin AND malachite green.

I do have quickcure in my cabinet... I'd hate to kill my cycle though :( but anything to keep the healthy

I do have quickcure in my cabinet... I'd hate to kill my cycle though but anything to keep the healthy

That's why I think we should wait for a couple of days. We have a bit of time to assess things. The reason to wait is any med that would treat salt-resistant ich would most definitely kill the cycle, except for copper, which is even worse as an option.

Ok... What should I do? Daily w/c? Since they're on prazi they've been getting w/c every 4th day...

You're fine. Just update us daily if you wish, for the next few days. I don't think those are ich spots, but I could be wrong. If they are, and we will know, then we would have to treat with the Quick Cure. :(

He has more or less the same amount of spots, maybe a couple more and only on his tail... Nothing on the others yet... It looks like white fluffy (they stand out) dots...

Guest Jessie

Fins crossed for you, when my fish were sick, and they yawned, they didn't eat until the next... hm... about 9 hours. But idk, i am not an expert, so leave it all for alex, the smarty pants. :D

New pic, I just noticed he's getting spots on his wen and has one on his dorsal fin...maty6a7y.jpg

All the others look fine for now...

Krystal,

I've ask the other mods, Koko, and the helpers to look at the thread and see if they think it's ich. I still don't want to go with quick cure just yet.

For now, bump up the salt in the tank to 0.4%, please. We may go to 0.5% the day after.

Just added salt... Will keep you posted on progress tomorrow... Thanks a bunch for all your help, you guys are the best!

Krystal, how is he doing?

It's the unanimous judgement of the mod team who answered my call that it does not appear to be ich. So, let us leave it 0.4% for 3 days total, and then I'd like to for you to bring it back down to 0.3%. I would like for you to treat for flukes with a double dose of Prazipro any time you are ready.

He's free of all of the little dots, they seem to have fallen off! They're all on prazipro, they're due for w/c tomorrow... Should I follow with one day without prazi and then double dose? Thanks! :)

Yes, please :)

Maybe I should add that the day after starting salt 0.1% they all had some of these spots... I added salt every 12hours and they went away - that's why I didn't it bring it up before... But after a day of being at 0.3% salt they appeared again- only on Goldy this time... It's just weird

I'm thinking whatever it is they came with two watterlettuces my hubby put in the tank as suprise at the same time as the pompom oranda because he said she had none when he picked her up and in a few of hours of being with the planta and my other fish developed the white spots on her wen and tail. I removed and threw away the plants (the goldies had eaten most of them anyways) 2 days ago when Goldy got reinfected...