my ranchus

fishboy

here are pictures of some of my ranchus. the white one is my favorite so far. they are all in a 125 gallon with 2 aquatop 500uv canister filters. they are pretty happy in there. i have a couple black ranchus as well, they are alot smaller than these guys though. they are about 2.5 inches. just wanted to share...

ranchus_zpsf038292d.jpg

penny2_zps085d5288.jpg

penny_zpsab24e9ca.jpg

no snails. there was actually something stuck on the bottom of the tank once upon a time ago. that is the adhesive partially scraped off. i had a ton of alage there a few days ago and i threw my pleco in there and he took most of it off. he's back in his tank now though and it is coming back again.

I'm not a Mod, but I'm still going to try and help. Passing on what I learned from here. I've been told that bacteria can be trapped under algae films and cause problem. Its best to clean a tank of excessive algae. Some algae is ok and Goldfish sometimes nimble on them, but for me, better safe than sorry. My recent Goldfish, the Moor, suffered Dropsy and I was advised to make sure all surfaces in tank are clean, including airline tubes. Its cuz of fast growth of algae can trap those bacterias. Another instance, I was told that algae on bottom glass should be scraped clean for the same reason when I suggested algae growth to make it smooth and easy slide for bottom-sitting Goldfish. Its only when there are excess algae then there is potential for issues.

I'm not a Mod, but I'm still going to try and help. Passing on what I learned from here. I've been told that bacteria can be trapped under algae films and cause problem. Its best to clean a tank of excessive algae. Some algae is ok and Goldfish sometimes nimble on them, but for me, better safe than sorry. My recent Goldfish, the Moor, suffered Dropsy and I was advised to make sure all surfaces in tank are clean, including airline tubes. Its cuz of fast growth of algae can trap those bacterias. Another instance, I was told that algae on bottom glass should be scraped clean for the same reason when I suggested algae growth to make it smooth and easy slide for bottom-sitting Goldfish. Its only when there are excess algae then there is potential for issues.

And one time I heard that you can keep 4 goldfish in a 20 gallon with no issues.

It would be great if you could share your sources on all this information you've been sharing these past few days which seems to contradict common sense and the experiences of other members. Your comments stray from the original topic.

Your Ranchu are very cute fishboy. I like the tancho Ranchu as well. How old are they? Did you raise them from fry?

I wish I could get algae to grow on my tank like that!

Those are some adorable Chus.

thanks everyone. here is a pic before the pleco went at it.

photo_zpsf5c91cc7.jpg

growing it again though. i have a 4ft shop light with two 32 watt t8 bulbs on 12 hrs a day. :)

And one time I heard that you can keep 4 goldfish in a 20 gallon with no issues.

It would be great if you could share your sources on all this information you've been sharing these past few days which seems to contradict common sense and the experiences of other members. Your comments stray from the original topic.

Your Ranchu are very cute fishboy. I like the tancho Ranchu as well. How old are they? Did you raise them from fry?

My posts are on topic with the pix shown. I don't recommend 4 in a 20.

As for sources, I will try to find them when I can. All the topics I subscribed to over the years don't seem to be in my subscribed topics listing anymore, so its hard to find where I read info.

• Admin

Its look like a lot of algae. They need to be scraped off asap.

It is alot of algae and I would wipe it off but it wont harm the fish.... not unless its a very thick layer of it.

i don't really care about the algae i just scrape it off the front. is algae/brown alage bad?

not unless its a very thick layer of it.

by the way very pretty fish :)

I had a little tancho ranchu at one time. He just got better and better looking as he grew. He was a sweet guy! Yours looks alot like him. :wub: All your little guys are looking good! Bet they love having such a huge tank to live in.

thanks! i give them alot of care. what happens when the algae layer gets too thick? i have a pleco in my other tank and he can clean it up when it gets too crazy. i just want to know what is bad about thick algae layers and what is thick exactly?

• Admin

thanks! i give them alot of care. what happens when the algae layer gets too thick? i have a pleco in my other tank and he can clean it up when it gets too crazy. i just want to know what is bad about thick algae layers and what is thick exactly?

Thick would be seeing bubble coming up from it.... I havent seen to much of it in the goldfish world but I have seen it in the Salt water world and it gets really bad.... What kind of pleco? if its a Common pleco please do, they will attack goldfish and generally over all most plecos dont eat brown algae its not a true forum of algae. The best way is to just wipe it off the tank... comes off really easily..

I have it in my tank right now cause I get south facing sunlight, which is a low level sunlight. So every water change I just wipe it off :thumb: