My water is suddenly very cloudy

• Supporter

Tank Size = 300 litres

Filtration = 1 cannister filter made for 2-300 litre tank, 2 internal filters made for 200 litre tanks

Water Changes = Once a week - 50-80%

Last Change = 4 days ago - 70%

Ammonia = 0-0.25 (I have trouble telling them apart @_@)

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 10-20

Fish not showing any signs of illness or distress

History - About 10 days ago ago my main filter short circuited, put a lot of gunk in the water. Did 100% water change, stuffed all the media into the cannister filter - The Cannister wasn't in use until this incident

This morning the tank looked fine, tonight it is so cloudy you can barely see through to the back of it :S

When all that gunk was in the water, did you do a large water change to get it out or you just switched the filter over? Some of that gunk feeds algae and other bacteria, it may have been to dense to pick up all of the debris, which means it would feed algae/bacteria in the tank and cause a bloom.

Either way, carbon is good for clearing up cloudy water. Add it and take it out when the water is clear. Filter floss is good for catching physical debris if the cloud is from that.

This happened to me as well! I think it is bacterial bloom. It happened on my 75 gallon. I just did large water changes every day and it improved.

Im sorry about your filter Mandy and I hope your tank clears up soon!

• Supporter

The water has cleared up a bit this morning. I will do a water change today anyway and keep an eye on the parameters. I hope my cycle didn't crash when my filter went kaput. I haven't being able to afford a new pump for it yet. I was hoping I got the media into another running filter in time to keep the bacteria alive

Here are a few things that kill filter media:

- letting it dry out completely

- not feeding it for a long period of time (over 72 hrs at least)

- exposing it to chlorine or cleaning products

- exposing it to certain antibiotics

If none of those things happened then it'll be fine, at worse a little tiny bit died off and you may get a cycle bump but it takes a lot to lose a whole colony :)