Some General/Basic Questions

FishyMandy

• Supporter

1) How much should goldfish be fed daily? How many times a day?

2) Do Air-pumps harm goldfish?

3) Are Air Pumps useful in adding extra surface agitation to oxygenate the water?

I've had some, kind of disagreements with someone on facebook over these...so just want to see what you guys say

With pellets, which are really nutrient dense, a good amount to start is 0.5% of their body weights, divided into several meals a day. With gel food, which are much less nutrient dense, about 1%, again to be broken down into more than one meal. Keep in mind that this number is just the recommended start. You will want to monitor your fish to see how well they do. You may want to weigh them and keep track of growth (or lack of it), and then adjust up or down, as needed. :)

No. Airpumps are good to help keep dissolved oxygen levels in the tank up.

3) Are Air Pumps useful in adding extra surface agitation to oxygenate the water?

Yes, this is why they are useful, and because they help to circulate the water. :)

I've had some, kind of disagreements with someone on facebook over these...so just want to see what you guys say

• Supporter

Thanks..This person has liked my goldfish awareness page and is telling me air pumps are useless and can harm the fish and absolutely have to be fed 5 times a day and flakes at least once a day

Edited by FishyMandy

1) Depends upon your goal. If they're young fish and you want to promote growth, up to 2 (or even 3)% of their body weight daily in food is what many goldfish breeders aim for. For general maintenance of adult fish, 0.5-1% is probably sufficient. The best way to feed goldfish is to give them many small meals throughout the day. Their digestive tract is just one long tube basically, with no "stomach" for food storage. So it's best for them to eat small amounts frequently throughout the day. I think the food should be split up into at least 2 meals daily, but more is better.

2) No, air pumps are not harmful.

3) Yes! The extra surface agitation will allow more dissolved oxygen in the water. The ancestor of the goldfish is a river-dwelling fish, and rivers have high oxygen content. Goldfish need well oxygenated water.

• Supporter

Yea, that's me :)

I wanted to ask these here and get information to back up what I say :P I'll give them the feeding, though I think you need to find a routine that works for you and your fish as well:) ?

The ancestor of the goldfish is a river-dwelling fish, and rivers have high oxygen content. Goldfish need well oxygenated water.

Whether rivers have high oxygen content or not, I won't comment on, but goldfish don't actually need well oxygenated water. Carp hemoglobin has a rather high affinity for oxygen, and a carp can fully load 100% of its hemoglobins at dissolved oxygen levels as low as 1ppm. (Roberts, Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health, page 9).

Having said that, it is not at all a bad thing to have higher dissolved oxygen in the water, and that is what should be done ideally. I just wanted to comment on the biology here. :)

Thanks..This person has liked my goldfish awareness page and is telling me air pumps are useless and can harm the fish and absolutely have to be fed 5 times a day and flakes at least once a day

I can't really add more than what Alex and Sakura already said....but I just wanted to point out that flakes hold few nutrients and are less than ideal for goldfish since they can expand inside them, which can cause swimbladder issues, etc. You can presoak them to help with that, but by that time a lot of nutrients are gone. Not sure if you knew this or not, but it may be something you should point out to your facebook fan. Pellets are a much better storebought type food, though I personally think veggies/greens and gel food are more biologically appropriate. Pellets are still an excellent option though, I just always make sure I read the ingredients on them. :)

As far as number of feedings go, Sakura is right that you should aim for 2+ feedings a day, or even as many as 5 or 6 . This simulates their eating in the wild, where they would graze all day and eat small amounts often. That being said, if someone's schedule only allows for 1 or 2 medium-large feedings a day, this isn't necessarily detrimental to the fish, and shouldn't really harm them at all. I like to change things up with the amounts of feeding. I usually do Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday with 2-3 small feedings (depending on my schedule), Wednesday/Saturday with one large feeding, and Sunday is fasting day. That's just my personal preference though. It's really up to the fishkeeper to find a schedule that works for them and their fish. There's certainly a correct answer as far as what is most biologically appropriate, but no correct answer for each individual (short of overfeeding, etc.).

Hope this helps answer your questions. :)