Do your goldfish have a sleeping\hiding place? :)

Guest Jessie

I just got the 30 gallon yesterday and I had absoloutley no money to buy any decor. (You know, those times when you are like "Alright, total is $230.86... Wait I have only 130") Yeah it is pretty much always like that to me. xD Anyway, I am going to start buying some decor to put in the tank, but I wondered if Goldfish liked sleeping under silk plants or even in large LARGE houses. (My goldfish are only about 3 inches) I had two comets before and they liked to sleep in houses. So any Ideas? You can even put in ideas on how you think you would like to decorate my tank. :) 23 replies = Pics (It is because I dont have my camera right now to show you how my tank looks like, but if you guys think you can write 23 replies, I will get the camera for you!)

I dont think goldfish really need decors or hiding spots since they are social fish, and when is kept only with the same kind, they dont have anything to hide from. There are a lot of members here have bare tanks without any decors and their fish do absolutely fine. I dont have any fancy decorations in my tank, only driftwood and live plants just for the looks of the tank. So, you might want to save the money to buy other necessities like filters, air pumps, filter medias, and stuff like that. If you still want, i would definitely recommend live plants given you provide adequate lighting (anubias or java ferns for low light set up attached to driftwood), so that you dont only have hiding places for your fish, but also somewhat help with your water quality and to make the tank look more natural. If you want to go with ornaments or fancy decorations, just dont pick the ones that are hollow or sharp that might harm the fish.

So to answer your question in short, no, my fish doesnt have a specific sleeping spot, they just like to gather in a group and stay in a corner of the tank.

Best of luck with your new tank! =)

And pics plz! Lol

• Admin

I dont like ornaments... Just to many problems with them in the long run... I keep only live plants attached to river rocks. or Fake plants. Thats it.

I clear a spot of my eco complete in the corner every night and my fantail and oranda like to sleep on the bare glass there. My littlest one, the calico hovers right next to my fantail. I think they like to be behind something when they sleep like a plant or decoration (at least mine do) so plants are a great idea and they can be attached to driftwood like alvintran said or super glued to river rocks etc.

I just finished googling the question as to whether super glue is toxic to fish. Boy, there are so many mixed responses. Seems alot of Salt Water enthusiasts use it to glue live rock, but also seems like alot of Fresh Water people have had bad experiences. I think I will stick with aquarium silicone.

cmclien, isn't super glue toxic to fish? Always thought it was, don't know for sure.

I haven't had a problem with it at all. I use the super glue gel (alot of people here do this), and then I cure it in a bucket of water overnight. It needs to be totally cured to put into the aquarium. All the plants you see in my signature are super glued. Here is a link to a prior discussion on this:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103211-superglue-is-it-safe/

• Admin

cmclien, isn't super glue toxic to fish? Always thought it was, don't know for sure.

I haven't had a problem with it at all. I use the super glue gel (alot of people here do this), and then I cure it in a bucket of water overnight. It needs to be totally cured to put into the aquarium. All the plants you see in my signature are super glued. Here is a link to a prior discussion on this:

http://www.kokosgold...lue-is-it-safe/

Me either all my Anubias are glued down to a River Rock with the Super Glue Gel stuff... :thumb:

I glued then down, let them set for about 15 mins then placed them in a bucket of water for 24 hours to cure... then into the tank :thumb: