Spawning?/Sexing

Kiara1125

The photobucket video works for me, and that looks like little bouts of aggression to me, not spawning behavior. Unfortunately this looks to be space related, heightened by the fact that food of some sort is involved and in smaller, crowded spaces food is at a premium.

Would it make a difference with the amount that I feed them? I make sure that everyone in the tank gets food daily and I also hand feed my goldfish every chance I get (usually daily or every other day).

Goldfish will eat as much as possible lol. They are little fatties and will almost always want more. With that said, the bellies do look a little small to me so you could maybe feed a little more?

What is your goldfish feeding schedule now?

Really? A little small. Hmm ... Well I feed them once or twice a day daily and due to my busy schedule they might fast for almost a week every other week. Every other fish of mine, including bettas, have the same feeding schedule. I see plenty of growth in all of my fish. How much would you suggest for the goldfish?

That means they're not being fed for half the month hon and definitely could be a problem. Most board members here feed a quality pelleted food daily as well as a gel food, veggies, or algae wafers as a second meal. Some fast their fish for one day a week. Bettas can live weeks without food but not goldfish.

I know that it's important to feed them. Could I set up an automated feeder with mixed foods in it for them? By hectic schedule, I mean that I'm not around my tanks for a week at a time. I feel horrible now and I want to do what's best for my fish (by that I mean I'm willing to try and do whatever I can for my fish, not give them away).

Yes, you can set up an auto feeder, but I have concerns because how will you know who is eating the food? Also, although you have been supposedly able to maintain water quality, more food will mean more poop, ammonia etc.

The best thing for your goldfish is a bigger tank with just them in it and consistent feedings and clean water. I know you say you are working on it, just wanted to reiterate why it is so important :)

Goldfish are high ammonia producing, large fish, and need to be in an environment that accommodates that. Bettas for example, produce very little ammonia and can not eat for long periods of time. Goldfish are natural grazers with short intestinal tracts. They grow extremely fast and large if fed correctly.

This is why your fish are smaller and more agressive. A larger tank for just them and an automated feeder would work great.

Even keeping them in the smaller tank but moving then other fish would help eliminate aggression and feeding issues.

We're here to help! My fish had flukes and my tanks were overstocked when I first came. By listening to others and making small but important changes I have great healthy fish :) You can too.

Thank you. I will know who's eating the food because my community fish tend to not go for the goldfish pellets. The current water change schedule that I have is working out great. My tapwater has some nitrates and it but after adding the water to my tank it goes down to zero within the day. Everything is going smoothly and I'll figure out something if I want to help my goldfish. Thank you for your help, I know hope that I will have to knowledge to become a better goldfish owner. :)

Also, I feed my goldfish Hikari pellets along with frozen bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, and daphnia.

Edited by Kiara

The photobucket video works for me, and that looks like little bouts of aggression to me, not spawning behavior. Unfortunately this looks to be space related, heightened by the fact that food of some sort is involved and in smaller, crowded spaces food is at a premium.

Of course

Would it make a difference with the amount that I feed them? I make sure that everyone in the tank gets food daily and I also hand feed my goldfish every chance I get (usually daily or every other day).

Goldfish will eat as much as possible lol. They are little fatties and will almost always want more. With that said, the bellies do look a little small to me so you could maybe feed a little more?

Really? A little small. Hmm ... Well I feed them once or twice a day daily and due to my busy schedule they might fast for almost a week every other week. Every other fish of mine, including bettas, have the same feeding schedule. I see plenty of growth in all of my fish. How much would you suggest for the goldfish?

That means they're not being fed for half the month hon and definitely could be a problem. Most board members here feed a quality pelleted food daily as well as a gel food, veggies, or algae wafers as a second meal. Some fast their fish for one day a week. Bettas can live weeks without food but not goldfish.

I know that it's important to feed them. Could I set up an automated feeder with mixed foods in it for them? By hectic schedule, I mean that I'm not around my tanks for a week at a time. I feel horrible now and I want to do what's best for my fish (by that I mean I'm willing to try and do whatever I can for my fish, not give them away).

Yes, you can set up an auto feeder, but I have concerns because how will you know who is eating the food? Also, although you have been supposedly able to maintain water quality, more food will mean more poop, ammonia etc.

The best thing for your goldfish is a bigger tank with just them in it and consistent feedings and clean water. I know you say you are working on it, just wanted to reiterate why it is so important :)

Goldfish are high ammonia producing, large fish, and need to be in an environment that accommodates that. Bettas for example, produce very little ammonia and can not eat for long periods of time. Goldfish are natural grazers with short intestinal tracts. They grow extremely fast and large if fed correctly.

This is why your fish are smaller and more agressive. A larger tank for just them and an automated feeder would work great.

Even keeping them in the smaller tank but moving then other fish would help eliminate aggression and feeding issues.

We're here to help! My fish had flukes and my tanks were overstocked when I first came. By listening to others and making small but important changes I have great healthy fish :) You can too.

Thank you. I will know who's eating the food because my community fish tend to not go for the goldfish pellets. The current water change schedule that I have is working out great. My tapwater has some nitrates and it but after adding the water to my tank it goes down to zero within the day. Everything is going smoothly and I'll figure out something if I want to help my goldfish. Thank you for your help, I know hope that I will have to knowledge to become a better goldfish owner. :)

Also, I feed my goldfish Hikari pellets along with frozen bloodworms, baby brine shrimp, and daphnia.

Of course you can become a better keeper. We all can! I learn new things and make mistakes all the time. We are here to make each other better.

The diet you have is great for them with the exception that they need some veggies :) Goldfish eats plants as well as meaty proteins and need both. An automated feeder for the pellets would be good when you are not there.

To be safe, I would do an extra water change and reallllyyyy siphon your substrate to get the extra yuckies out.

^ Forgot to mention that I feed them seaweed. It's the Omega one super veggie 100% natural green seaweed.

Yup that's great! I use veggie clips and feed mine seaweed sheets too. The love them! Be sure you cut them down a bit to make sure none ends up loose and rotting in the tank :) I would still add spinach, but I am a spinach nut. I eat spinach almost daily so my fish get it often too :)

Of course

Of course you can become a better keeper. We all can! I learn new things and make mistakes all the time. We are here to make each other better.

The diet you have is great for them with the exception that they need some veggies :) Goldfish eats plants as well as meaty proteins and need both. An automated feeder for the pellets would be good when you are not there.

To be safe, I would do an extra water change and reallllyyyy siphon your substrate to get the extra yuckies out.

Ok, thank you bunches! :D

Edited by Kiara

^ Forgot to mention that I feed them seaweed. It's the Omega one super veggie 100% natural green seaweed.

Yup that's great! I use veggie clips and feed mine seaweed sheets too. The love them! Be sure you cut them down a bit to make sure none ends up loose and rotting in the tank :) I would still add spinach, but I am a spinach nut. I eat spinach almost daily so my fish get it often too :)

Hehe, nice. I'll see if they like it. When I went to go get the seaweed that she clips were all out. I choose to hand feed my fish the seaweed and it doesn't take all that long. I make sure that pieces don't go flying off everywhere a lot my tank. Plus, if they did my rubberlip pleco would get the extra pieces. It's great to watching dark out grab something and drag it back with them behind the filter so he can eat it. It's really cute. He does come out frequently, but he still small so it's expected of him to hide. It's not like any of the other fish bother him.