Lucky Bamboo Experiment

Mlegion1988

I have three bamboo which typically live in my goldie tank and I love them. They put out crazy roots once they get established, I forgot to check my nitrates before but they stay pretty low now. They aren't the best at eating nitrates but they do an okay job and look really pretty as well.

I'd imagine that it depends on your tank situation/condition.

I, for example, can only grow plants that are less demanding of light because the light in my living room isn't so stellar. I have a plant light that I could hang, but that's work, you know? :rofl

I can open some curtains and give my tank some pretty good sunlight; not direct, but fairly bright. Right now i've got bamboo and pothos in the filters, so I wonder if there's something more I could get. I hear Hygrophilia is a great nitrate sponge, but I fear my fish would eat it all.

• 2 months later...

I have about 90-100 stalks of bamboo plus a decent sized split up peace lily and other misc. plant clippings in breeder boxes on the back of my tank, they do a decent job of sucking nitrates =]

I have two stalks of lucky bamboo in my 10g, which look really lovely and grow like mad! I can't tell if they're good at absorbing nitrates though, as I have also got a bajillion other plants in there...

I really doubt that there is a "best" plant for consuming nitrates. All plants, algae, and photosynthetic bacteria need a source of nitrogen to be able to make proteins. Aquatic plants, algae, and bacteria prefer ammonia as their nitrogen source, which is why they aren't so good at removing nitrate from the water.

The plants that will remove nitrate most effectively are those which grow rapidly in YOUR water. Plants need other minerals as well as nitrates, and the amounts of these will be different in water from various sources. Plants also differ in the amounts they need of various minerals. This is one reason why you find all those "specialty" fertilizers in the store. (The other reason is that manufacturers can charge more for a fertilizer just for roses (for example) than they can for a general purpose product.) If you are trying to grow a plant that needs lots of magnesium, for example, and your water is deficient in magnesium, that plant will grow very slowly and thus consume little nitrate, even though it slurps up nitrate like crazy in someone else's tank.

I have three bamboo which typically live in my goldie tank and I love them. They put out crazy roots once they get established, I forgot to check my nitrates before but they stay pretty low now. They aren't the best at eating nitrates but they do an okay job and look really pretty as well.

You have that bamboos inside the goldfish tank? Can I also keep in flowerhorn tank. How do you keep them inside? A pic please.