all my 13 day old fry died...uber paranoid about the 2 day olds now...

IvoryValentine01

So, yesterday, the mystery fry were 13 days old. there were 2 with super bent spines I took out. I siphoned out about 30% of the water for a water change & added new. Within 10 minutes all but 2 of the fry were dead...tails curled. the 2 that were still alive & swimming died later in the evening. So, every one of them is dead now.

I have 2 day old fry in a different 10 gallon tank & I am uber paranoid now. they are all still hanging about the glass & plants not doin' much yet...altho they will soon enough.

I don't know what to do. Should I care for them as I did the last & just hope for the best. I mean I listened to everyone who gave me advice on here about feeding them & the water changes & all the others seemed fine...until they died rather quickly. I knew that not all of them would live but I never thought they would all die & so fast. I have no idea.

Sorry to hear that :(

If they died so suddenly and quickly after a water change then I would have been testing the water to see if anything was off. Is there a possibility you forgot to add the water conditioner?

Edited by ninzah

I did add water conditioner and did test the water. it was all good. I rarely ever have water problems here (even my pool has perfect water all summer). I just have no idea. I think the only diff was that the water was off in temp...couple degrees warmer. would that have taken them all out so fast?

Hi Ivoryvalentine01, early fry deaths can be very disturbing and drive one nuts until solved. These are , I understand , your first experience with raisng from egg the goldfish? You will make many mistakes and learn from that. You have 13 new hatch in about 40 liter. that is a lot of water and if feeding is careful then water quality will remain high. the water used to change came from main tank or direct from tap and was it aged at all?

few degree warmer is not harmful. especialy if only 30% was changed. ph difference or chlorine in water will kill them quick as they are sensitve at this age.. Also if you have microscope take a look at gills of the new dead and give picture.

diet. did you feed them shortly before the WC?.and what was given. These questions are to help understand conditions .

yeah, it was my first time doing this. and there were 23 living in a fully cylced 40 gallon cuz at the time it was the only place I had to go with them (my 2 day old fry are in a 10 gallon...so considerably smaller) As mentioned, 2 were culled due to deformities, leaving 21. They were eating brine shrimp and I was giving them a bit of ground up spirulina algae every now and then...they seemed to like it. I was also keeping with removing the waste...altho there wasn't much. this was their second water change altho, the first I only removed about 20%. this time is was closer to about 30% of the water. the water sat over night...or well, about 28hrs. it was conditioned and tested fine. and I didn't really think the slight temp diff was a problem...altho that was really the only difference. we have pretty decent water here to begin with. they did eat about 2hrs before the water change. I do not have a microscope, sorry.

can you get a picture of the dead fry . interest is in the belly and head area. sometimes some foods seem to cause a block or bloat or strain on the fish and then anything else , such as a little stress during a water change , too strong currents or such puts them over. i looked at your pictures in the other post and see nothing out of order. Only that some bellys seem a little swollen ,perhaps. and the backs are curve a little ,perhaps. As this is the first mating of these fish you have not any idea as to what expect exactly.

foods that can cause many fish to sudden death are boiled egg yolk. some dry foods( that you are not using i am sure), and sometimes too much green material.

brine shrimps and decaps eggs are alway excellent and produce good results.

last little question. your parent fish were cleaned with a parasite treatment before spawn ? and the water of the eggs hatched was also treated? ofcourse if you have not had any parasite problems then the questions are not necessary.

these questions are to further understand and I ask as I have had those same problems in past hatchings.

yeah, the big tank is treated for parasites. I love those fish and take very good care of them. and yeah, I'm a water paranoid freak so I'm always testing water and correcting if correcting is necessary...altho most often everything is fine.

I do note that the 2 day old fry I have in the 10 gallon are much bigger that the nearly 2 week olds that died. Is it possible that somehow the newer batch is just stronger/healthier?

That is an excellent question. I think you said that you do not know who the parents are?

i have in past hatchings thrown out entire batch as defective. happens.

If you suspect poor growth then review everything connected with it. 1. diet. 2. Water quality 3. parasite free as that is the worst fear. they can live and grow in prazi water just fine. 4. your water is soft or hard (hard is prefered and a little salt is ok too.)

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you used water conditioner, at the proper dose? In my years of fish keeping I forgot a couple times to add dechlor. Nothing severe ever happened because the fish were big and I noticed within 30 minutes after changing the water, but i can totally see fry dying quickly if exposed to untreated tap water.

I think you might have better luck doing less. If you have a bunch of plants in a 10 gallon, don't worry about feeding or water changing for 2 weeks. Their ideal food is really too small to see, and it exists in a planted tank. I found my first babies in a "plant hospital" tank where I put plants to recover from goldfish damage. I guess some plants had eggs on them. I had some duckweed in there and they were nibbling on something all the time.

I'm really confused now. the newer batch, which is now 3 days old actually started swimming around and eating yesterday when they were about 55 hours old. a lot of them not just a few. they are already so different than the older ones I lost. I'm really starting to think that there was just something wrong with the batch that died as they took almost 4 days to start swimming/eating and even then it was only 4 or 5 of them at first. also many of them were quite small compared to others in the batch. the now 3 day olds seem to be all comparably sized...haven't seen any runts of the group yet.