Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Filter Not Working

I have an Aqueon 55/75 90 gallon filter on my 55 gallon tank with one common goldfish who is about 5" long. I accidently turned the power strip off before I went to bed and left it off all night. When I woke up in the morning, I realized the filter was off so I went to go flip the power strip back on. The other tanks' worked, even the 55 gallon's lights, but not the filter. It's making a very very quiet humming noise. I tried turning it off/on, cleaned the intake tube, etc... but it still wouldn't work. It doesn't seem like it's even trying to draw water inside....

Also, this really sucks, but I put my filter on my tank, the hood around it, then filled it with water. The filter is under the cross-brace on the back of my tank, there is only about 3" of wiggle room. To get the filter out of the tank, I would have to drain my tank completely and slide it forward, off the stand. So please let me know if I can do this without removing the filter from the tank.

Here is a picture of what it looks like (not as crude of course):

QZEd5MY.jpg

Edited by Barnacles

Take off the filter intake tub, get a chopstick, or some equivalent long thin wooden stick, put it up the hole where the impeller is (where you've just disengaged the intake tube) and give it a light whirl. That should do it.

My filter is old now, and sometimes it needs help to get it going. :)

Take off the filter intake tub, get a chopstick, or some equivalent long thin wooden stick, put it up the hole where the impeller is (where you've just disengaged the intake tube) and give it a light whirl. That should do it.

My filter is old now, and sometimes it needs help to get it going. :)

Ok thanks, going to try that now. I don't quite know exactly what an impeller is but you made it pretty clear.. thanks.

Ok thanks that worked, but it scared me a lot! I couldn't find anything long and thin, so I used a little sewing needle like 1½" long.. I poked it and it jerked my arm really quick and started instantly.. thanks. Also knocked a little loose gunk off the filter cartridge before so it just sprayed a big cloud of it all over my tank, but it's clearing up already and it's only been 5 minutes.. guess thats the benefit of a 90 gallon filter on a 55 gallon tank.

Edited by Barnacles