Noob infantile brackish tank set-up advice?

Smurfishy

I am going for lowest cost and lowest maintenance as possible but with of course superb care. I plan on reading LOTS of literature over the next month or two but in the mean time maybe you guys can help me understand a few points. Some questions I have are:

best lowest costing salt or salt mixes, which is best the mix or salt?

Is live sand or coral a must, can I have one without the other, and if neither is needed why do marine aquarists talk as if they are?

What is the biggest differences in care from fresh to saltwater?

What are the biggest differences from salt to brackish?

Will I need a heater or current maker?

After rudimentary research I think would really like to get a puffer or two, maybe figure 8, fancy guppies and/or endlers, nerites ... would really like to breed em, is this possible in a tank with fish? Some sort of shrimp, other crustaceans? maybe some kind of goby...

I have a 30g or a 40g to that I could use

I have a ph of between 8-8.2, I have hard water but my kh or gh is on the low side? I forget which...

I am using instant ocean in my brackish tank/bowl. I only have some shrimp. I think mollies would do much better then guppies and you well need to alkamate(sp) them since pet shops sell mollies in fresh water. But if you get figure eights anything else well become food. I think you would need a heater for mollies but a bubble stone should do instead of a wave maker.

As with any tank set up bigger is better.

That is what little I can tell ya.

I am using instant ocean in my brackish tank/bowl. I only have some shrimp. I think mollies would do much better then guppies and you well need to alkamate(sp) them since pet shops sell mollies in fresh water. But if you get figure eights anything else well become food. I think you would need a heater for mollies but a bubble stone should do instead of a wave maker.

As with any tank set up bigger is better.

That is what little I can tell ya.

it depends on the store my local Lfs has a saltwater tank that's nothing but mollies so it depends on the stock