Which type of goldfish is your friendliest?

gran'sgoldies1

I've had quite a few goldfish over the years and I have found my ranchus to be very tame and more apt to rub up against my arm, feed from my hand,stay up at the front of the tank close to wherever I am in the room. They just seem to interact more with me although I did have a beautiful blue oranda that was the same. Does anyone else have a type that seems more friendly than the rest?

My moor is super friendly :D. She gets excited when she hears my voice, she follows me at the front of the tank, and when I put my hands in the tank she rubs and bumps into my arm :wub: . She also nibbles on my fingers when I feed her by had (but I think that goes with poor vision and my fingers smelling like food lol!). My fantail is a sweetie too :D. He's a little more timid, but he's still social in a way. He comes up to the glass when he hears me too. But I am the main food giver so that might have something to do with it lol

My pond-type goldfish are all friendlier to me than the fancies that I purchased (as babies). The fancies that I raised from fry, however are just as friendly as the long-bodied fish. The difference is that they are friendly to strangers as well. When the "pool guy" comes to do the maintenance on the swimming pool, they follow him eagerly every time he passes their tub. The pond-type fish distinguish between me, other family members or familiar people, and "dangerous" strangers.

I only have kept orandas so far, so I don't have much to draw on, although it's my opinion that it really depends on the inherent personality of the fish along with what they are exposed to by you that influences how friendly/social they are.

My previous male oranda Puff was very friendly/social - I taught him to hand feed and he didn't mind being handled when I needed to. My female oranda Edie has always been very standoffish and has had a bit of a mean streak in the past, bullying Puff before he passed away.

My newest male oranda Hashi is super friendly and very outgoing and has been from the start. He learned to hand feed right away and is all over my hands whenever I am in the tank doing anything to the point where I have to repeatedly push him away if I am trying to do something and he just comes right back over and nibbles my arm, it makes me laugh. Since getting him, Edie has actually warmed up more and has begun to hand feed occasionally. I think she is learning by example ;)

• 1 month later...

For me it depended on the fish not the breed. My ranchu Pearl (RIP) would eat from my hand and so does Hanzo the tele in my profile picture. Otherwise all my fish are very friendly and like to follow me as much as they can in the tank.

Both of my ryukins are my friendliest - my moor is friendly and eats out of my hand as well, but I don't think he can see much besides shapes. They all swim to the front of the tank when they see me in the room, though!

I've kept many varieties in my years of goldfish (almost 25 years now!). I'd have to say orandas, followed by ranchu and telescopes, have been the most consistently outgoing and non-fearful of the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

My old ranchu Kidney Bean used to rub up against my hand, all my orandas happily would hand feed, my butterfly Daria also hand feeds and gives my hand 'kisses' and my commet Quinn will always follow me around the tank :P

My moor is super friendly :D. She gets excited when she hears my voice, she follows me at the front of the tank, and when I put my hands in the tank she rubs and bumps into my arm :wub: . She also nibbles on my fingers when I feed her by had (but I think that goes with poor vision and my fingers smelling like food lol!). My fantail is a sweetie too :D. He's a little more timid, but he's still social in a way. He comes up to the glass when he hears me too. But I am the main food giver so that might have something to do with it lol

Mine too