Tips on going bare bottom

Andrea

I hope this is the right place to post this :)

After many problems I have decided to make my tank a bare bottom tank and I would love some tips, ways to decorate, etc

I know I should remove the gravel slowly incase I disturb the good bacteria and I removed some today. I will remove more over the next few weeks.

I was wondering how you keep plants in a bare bottom tank, both real and fake? As my goldfish like to dig up everything and the only way I have found I can keep plants down is lots of pebbles and under some driftwood. How do you tie the plants to the driftwood?

I was thinking of decorating it with some big rocks, some smaller pieces of driftwood, real plants and maybe some silk ones. Plus leaving some of the gravel in there so they can forage in it a little.

Also would I still siphon a bare bottom tank? Or is there another way to get the poop/muck up not captured by the filter?

You can use super glue to glue the stem of the plant away from the roots to the driftwood. Just be sure to let it dry completely before adding it to the tank. Almost all stores that carry fish also carry decor, including silk plants. These usually have weighted bases. I use river rocks on my bate bottom as well! This makes it look a bit prettier IMO without the risks of full on gravel. Petco sells tubs of river stones (smooth large stones) in bags for a dollar or bigger containers as well, also cheaply.

Thanks :) So any super glue is fine as long as it is completely dry?

I don't often check out the fake plants at my fish shops, but I don't I have ever seen any with weights on the bottom. Maybe I could just weigh it down with my own attached weights or rocks.

One of the fish shops also has recently got in a lot of those big rocks, probably river rocks. I don't think Australia has PetCo so I'll go stock up on the rocks incase they sell out and don't get anymore in.

Thanks :) So any super glue is fine as long as it is completely dry?

I don't often check out the fake plants at my fish shops, but I don't I have ever seen any with weights on the bottom. Maybe I could just weigh it down with my own attached weights or rocks.

One of the fish shops also has recently got in a lot of those big rocks, probably river rocks. I don't think Australia has PetCo so I'll go stock up on the rocks incase they sell out and don't get anymore in.

Hi Andrea, greetings from a new fellow member... ;)

It's many years since I kept a bare bottom tank, but when I did, I used to use small rocks as plant anchors. I simply drilled the rock with a masonry drill, and insert some silicon sealant into the hole. I then placed the stem of the plant into the silicon, and when dry I positioned the plant in the tank....easy and perfectly safe for the fishies!!! :thumb:

Keep your powder dry!!! :thumb:

If you want live plants, I just ordered a bunch of stem plants that come with a weight at the bottom and they don't need to be buried in substrate. I have substrate but only 1/2 inch which is too shallow to plant in. I have also superglued my rhizome plants (anubias and java ferns). Most aquatic plants can't be left out for the super glue to dry but I used the super glue gel, waited a few minutes until the rhizome was sticking, then gently put it in a bucket of water and let it cure over night. After that it was good to go in the aquarium.

Here is a link to give you ideas. The owner said anything under this bunched plant page can sit on top or in bare bottom except for the sword plants.

http://www.shop.plan...-plants_c14.htm

Edited by cmclien