Sign in to follow this  
DVirginiana

Problem with my current food... Suggestions?

I posted in the disease/diagnosis area of the forum a week or so ago about my fish getting floaty and having a strange scale bulge on her back, right side. After observing her for awhile, I realized this only happens for maybe an hour or two after she eats and then goes away completely. When I feed peas, that doesn't happen, but I know that peas alone don't have enough nutrition for her.

The food I've been using is Spectrum sinking pellets (pre-soaked before feeding). A bit disappointed, as they had been recommended by a friend as good for fish that got floaty after eating. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could feed that would be nutritionally adequate and good for her floatiness issues?

I know some members with floaty fish have seen improvement by feeding Soilent Green gel food.

Edited by fishtankbabe

Although I have vague floaty issues feeding too much SG at one time - spreading it out through the day has no effect and the fish seems to be growing and thriving.

There are some gel food recipes developed by members to reduce floating at the top of the feeding section.

My fish used to get quite severe 2 minutes after eating that would last for up to 5 hours ,ni recently switched to soilent green gel food and he has no trouble eating it (has a deformed mouth) and doesn't float at all !!

One of my floaters, still floats some on SG but the other one completely stopped. Their buoyancy is way better in general on SG then pellets. It might help, its very nutritionally balanced food.

I'm going to the store tomorrow anyway, I'll give the SG food a try. I'll post again about how it works after I get some made!

I'm going to the store tomorrow anyway, I'll give the SG food a try. I'll post again about how it works after I get some made!

If your lfs doesn't have it (most don't) you can get from tastyworms.com. There's a link on the main page of the forum, right side.

I was looking through the recipes on the gel food section here, and I had a couple questions (looking at DNAlex's recipe):

What sort of multivitamin do you use, and how many mg?

What sort of probiotic tablet, and how many mg?

I have never heard of koi clay; is this something that I can find at a petsmart/petco? If not, where do I order it.

Finally, if I cannot get my hands on fresh garlic, should I just leave that part out rather than trying to use the dried garlic in the spice section? Seems like that would have lots of salt/additives in it.

I was looking through the recipes on the gel food section here, and I had a couple questions (looking at DNAlex's recipe):

And here is DNAlex answering the questions regarding his recipe :rofl

What sort of multivitamin do you use, and how many mg?

I just used the regular Centrum multivitamin.

What sort of probiotic tablet, and how many mg?

This is what I used. To be honest, there is absolutely no reason that I am using Centrum; it's just that's what I use and have around :)

300.JPG

I have never heard of koi clay; is this something that I can find at a petsmart/petco? If not, where do I order it.

You will need to order the koi clay. I ordered mine from here:

http://www.koivillage.com/water_treatments/koi_clay.html

I got the UltraClear.

Finally, if I cannot get my hands on fresh garlic, should I just leave that part out rather than trying to use the dried garlic in the spice section? Seems like that would have lots of salt/additives in it.

I've used garlic powder. :)

If ya can't find fresh garlic, a lot of grocery stores have it chopped up in jars in the produce section, sometimes garlic paste.